Benidorm again!! (1 Viewer)

Aug 13, 2009
KENT
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Caravanning since 1990's Went over to motorhoming 2007
Is anyone going to Benidorm just after Christmas and would mind a shadow???
I've only driven our MH twice in this country let alone France or Spain!! Kev not driving due to back injury :((
This is our 1st venture driving out of the UK and would welcome your knowledge!
Thanks
Carol

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
To be honest following someone in Europe is worse than being on your own , you have enough things to look out for , different signs , different side of the road among other things , without looking where the van in front is going or if you will make the light s before they change and stuff, by all means go the same way as someone else and arrange to meet somewhere for your stops but not in convoy.
Just my opinion having done both, just as bad if you are the leader , looking behind all the time to see if your companion is still coming.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
To be honest following someone in Europe is worse than being on your own , you have enough things to look out for , different signs , different side of the road among other things , without looking where the van in front is going or if you will make the light s before they change and stuff, by all means go the same way as someone else and arrange to meet somewhere for your stops but not in convoy.
Just my opinion having done both, just as bad if you are the leader , looking behind all the time to see if your companion is still coming.

I agree its not easy we have done it twice and your always checking your mirrors and speed its better to just say I will meet you at a aire or campsite on route.

Paul

OP
OP
kev&caz
Aug 13, 2009
KENT
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ok thanks for the advice.

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
I have just got back from 9 days in France. My first trip abroad in my MH. I was a little nervous but after 1o minutes I settled down and actually found it enjoyable. Found the driving to be a lot less stressful than in the UK.

Plan your route and take your time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I'm a bit surprised that anyone would want to drive to Benidorm via France after the end of October and up to the beginning of April!

If the Aires/Sites are not closed the open air facilities are often frozen up, and that's not taking account of the possibility of bad weather.

I will be heading south next month and it will be via Portsmouth to Santander or Santurzi.

IMHO France is for the late spring, summer or early autumn, unless it's winter sports your after.

:cooler:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just use sat nav
Take your time and you'll be fine

not quite..best programming Tonka's route into it

as for the above comment re driving through France. travel with full tanks. One overnight and you can be in Spain. Its quick, its easy, its cheap and preferable to the bay of biscay! IMO

Last edited:

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
not quite..best programming Tonka's route into it

as for the above comment re driving through France. travel with full tanks. One overnight and you can be in Spain. Its quick, its easy, its cheap and preferable to the bay of biscay! IMO

Agree with you on that Judge, never again bay of Biscay and sooooo boring even if you are lucky with weather.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We will be leaving for Benidorm in 4 weeks and I manage to do the journey in 2 1/2 days and that's with lots of stops for dog walking etc. I admit it's long day's travelling, but we only have 6 weeks we can be away at any time, so the sooner I get down to the sun the better.

John.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We're in northern France at the mo preparing to go to jersey for a week tomorrow then making our way through France to Benidorm.
We did the bay of biscay earlier this year, not for us again thank you.
Hope to get there for late September, hope the roads are ok then?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We will be leaving for Benidorm in 4 weeks and I manage to do the journey in 2 1/2 days and that's with lots of stops for dog walking etc. I admit it's long day's travelling, but we only have 6 weeks we can be away at any time, so the sooner I get down to the sun the better.

John.

exactly the same as us.....

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We're in northern France at the mo preparing to go to jersey for a week tomorrow then making our way through France to Benidorm.
We did the bay of biscay earlier this year, not for us again thank you.
Hope to get there for late September, hope the roads are ok then?

its not as if you have to go through Scandinavian to get there!:)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Is anyone going to Benidorm just after Christmas and would mind a shadow???
I've only driven our MH twice in this country let alone France or Spain!! Kev not driving due to back injury :((
This is our 1st venture driving out of the UK and would welcome your knowledge!
Thanks
Carol
Carol, as you have only driven MH twice I would recommend you travel/drive before Christmas (November or early December) and travel back after March as the journey could be difficult. It's to far away for the "long range" weather forecast, so you cannot tell what the weather and road conditions will be like.
The Bay of Biscay route whilst much shorter and missing 99% of bad weather crossing in the winter months is can rough to say the least. This to me would be your best option as you will be in Spain on boat docking and good roads all the way to Benidorm.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I'm a bit surprised that anyone would want to drive to Benidorm via France after the end of October and up to the beginning of April!

If the Aires/Sites are not closed the open air facilities are often frozen up, and that's not taking account of the possibility of bad weather.

I will be heading south next month and it will be via Portsmouth to Santander or Santurzi.

IMHO France is for the late spring, summer or early autumn, unless it's winter sports your after.

:cooler:

have travelled in France and spain in January and February, also tend now to be going home in November, never had a problem finding anywhere to stay, there are sites open all year, admittedly few, but choose a route accordingly. Have a great time.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
We are going down in December, you'd be welcome to shadow but we're leaving on the 16th, Portsmouth to Caen, then down to Spain, we'll be coming back over the bay, but I fancied a change on the way down

OP
OP
kev&caz
Aug 13, 2009
KENT
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for all the advice which is greatly appreciated.
We can't go until after Christmas but will have no time limits so may decide to go Bay of Biscay route and return through France in the Spring. :rolleyes: Our route will be weather dependent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back