Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
Does anyone have speed camera POI's on their Sat Nav.

I was considering TOMTOM's own one or the "Pocket GPS World" one or are there other choices.

using a tomtom 700.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Does anyone have speed camera POI's on their Sat Nav.

I was considering TOMTOM's own one or the "Pocket GPS World" one or are there other choices.

using a tomtom 700.

without a doubt "Pocket GPS World" more comprehensive and uptodate and a cheaper option.

Regards

OP
OP
duetto owner

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
sinbad 7

with pgp once installed for updates do you just reinstall the database again over itself?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
with pgp once installed for updates do you just reinstall the database again over itself?

If you have subscribed and have downloaded the OV2file for your TT model , then you simply download the updated poi's this could happen 2x a month usually i get an email : but you can visit the site at any time to check.

Don't forget you need to download EU poi files separately from the GB ones and simular with other countries.

You can do this as many times as you like as long as your subsciption is valid.

NB if you report the location of a new camera installation you could get a life time subscription:thumb:

Regards

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
If you have subscribed and have downloaded the OV2file for your TT model , then you simply download the updated poi's this could happen 2x a month usually i get an email : but you can visit the site at any time to check.

Don't forget you need to download EU poi files separately from the GB ones and simular with other countries.

You can do this as many times as you like as long as your subsciption is valid.

NB if you report the location of a new camera installation you could get a life time subscription:thumb:

Regards

NB
And if you stick to the speed limit like a responsible adult then you don't need to subscribe and you get free "no fines" membership.......................I got a degree in stating the obvious :thumb:

I could rant on but I won't...........it's that Friday feeling ::bigsmile:

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
NB
And if you stick to the speed limit like a responsible adult then you don't need to subscribe and you get free "no fines" membership.......................I got a degree in stating the obvious :thumb:

I could rant on but I won't...........it's that Friday feeling ::bigsmile:

Boo you make an awful lot of assumptions , i'll treat your post with the contempt it deserves :Angry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
French site with free downloads and updated weekly ..

I thought the French Police were entirely humourless if they find you with a GPS loaded with camera locations.

I thought the French were pretty pretty good with cameras. They are big enough and usually signposted.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I thought the French Police were entirely humourless if they find you with a GPS loaded with camera locations.

I thought the French were pretty pretty good with cameras. They are big enough and usually signposted.

It's a link Brian.. not my opinion , I couldn't care less about speed camera POIs.. French or otherwise.. I was trying to be helpful .. nothing else implied.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
The proposed increase in average speed cameras may be a more serious threat than piggy flue.

I understand that Pogo's Alert is the only gizmo to tackle this threat.
They appear to have patented whatever they've got so it may be some time before someone else brings one out.
Works with laser guns as well.

Link Removed

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
The proposed increase in average speed cameras may be a more serious threat than piggy flue.

I understand that Pogo's Alert is the only gizmo to tackle this threat.
They appear to have patented whatever they've got so it may be some time before someone else brings one out.
Works with laser guns as well.

Not true

Pocket gps has for a long time made these section camera poi's available to its members.( any new installations are soon made available)

quote.
Camera types in the database

There are currently six main categories in the PGPSW camera database; some of the main categories are also subdivided into speed related subcategories. The main categories are:
  • Gatso: Fixed camera locations. i.e. Gatso, Truvelo and Monitron speed cameras and RedSpeed (combined Redlight and Speed camera)
  • Mobile: Locations where Safety Partnership camera vans and police regularly operate.
  • pMobile: Locations of mobile sites (as above) that have been submitted to us but not yet verified.
  • Redlight: Traffic light cameras
  • SPECS: Average Speed Cameras, also called Section cameras. These uses digital cameras that photograph your vehicle and number plate as you pass each camera. The system then automatically calculates your average speed over the section (distance divided by time).
NB. you may not like these average speed cameras and see them as a threat ;but IMO it is the best way of controlling speed on our roads, and from what i see works are very effective.

Last edited by a moderator:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was trying to be helpful .. nothing else implied.

Same here.

It was part surprise that it was available and a warning.

We saw some fixed cameras this year but not one manned trap, looks like the French may be going our route of cheap/profitable automated justice. Or maybe they are now fully conditioned over there, they DO stick to the limits, as we did, the holiday is expensive enough already.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Pogo Alert tells you your average speed between cameras.

Most GPSs and as far as I can ascertain, all sat navs only display where sections start and finish.

I regards them as a threat because try as I may, i speed.
A downgrade section on a motorway caught me out the other week.
My average speed in section after section had been around 35.
In a short down grade, I went to 42 before I realized and dropped back to below 40 average by running below 35.

It doesn't take much for my manual diesel to gain speed on a downgrade.
Even though I was in 4th gear.
It was worse in the automatic I had.

It's no longer a matter of if, it's a matter of when, no matter how careful I am.
I've probably had a clean licence longer than most.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Same here.

It was part surprise that it was available and a warning.

Hi Brian

there was a discussion on a GPS forum, one guy emailed the French Traffic authorities for clarification ..
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras Forums-viewtopic-Any problems with the French Gendarme (Police) confiscating?

Speed camera POIs are not illegal , speed camera detectors are..

So in laymans terms, the French Minister is saying that GPS based speed camera databases can promote road safety. He clearly states that articles which detect or interfere, are banned with quite a hefty penalty (around 20 grand and two years in the poky - wow). He also adds though, and this is the crucial point, that companies are advertising devices which claim to get around the laws. If it cannot be decided whether the article detects or interferes, it will be seized for examination and possible criminal proceedings.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
The camera detector on the Pogo Alert is removeable.

There is a facility to set an overspeed alarm to sound if you exceed the limit.
It's not easily variable when you are on the move.
Although the front seat passenger could do it easily on the move.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Pogo Alert tells you your average speed between cameras.

Most GPSs and as far as I can ascertain, all sat navs only display where sections start and finish.

I regards them as a threat because try as I may, i speed.
A downgrade section on a motorway caught me out the other week.
My average speed in section after section had been around 35.
In a short down grade, I went to 42 before I realized and dropped back to below 40 average by running below 35.

It doesn't take much for my manual diesel to gain speed on a downgrade.
Even though I was in 4th gear.
It was worse in the automatic I had.

It's no longer a matter of if, it's a matter of when, no matter how careful I am.
I've probably had a clean licence longer than most.

Again not true each camera poi in an average speed zone will prompt a voice warning ( not just at the begging and end).

If you are unable to control your speed then i guess £60 fine will :Eeek:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Sinbad, I reckon you were the naughty kid who told the other kids how the conjuror worked his magic.
Am I correct?

An average speed zone is divided into sectors.
Each sector has a camera at the start line and and a camera at the finish line.

Satnavs, and GPS warn the positions of cameras at the start and end of each sector in the zone.

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Sinbad, I reckon you were the naughty kid who told the other kids how the conjuror worked his magic.
Am I correct?

You lose the moral high ground when you resort to personal remarks, hence there is no more to be said.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian

there was a discussion on a GPS forum, one guy emailed the French Traffic authorities for clarification ..
Speed camera POIs are not illegal , speed camera detectors are..

Looks like I may be out of date, I have heard of French plod getting stroppy in the past.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
I said how you appeared ro me Sinbad.
Then I asked if I was correct.

Since you did not reply, 'qui tacet consentit' you confirmed my opinion.

I lost nothing by stating my opinion and asking if I was correct.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
So where did all the stories come from, did people get find, were Sat Navs confiscated, were people forced to delete files from laptops?

Ralph

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
So where did all the stories come from, did people get find, were Sat Navs confiscated, were people forced to delete files from laptops?

Ralph

Too many people make assumptions, and what originally was about radar detectors being confiscated was probably interpreted as sat navs being confiscated.::bigsmile:

although i did hear that if you carried road maps that was marked where speed cameras were, would result in your mapbook being confiscated :ROFLMAO:

Regards

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Too many people make assumptions, and what originally was about radar detectors being confiscated was probably interpreted as sat navs being confiscated.::bigsmile:

although i did hear that if you carried road maps that was marked where speed cameras were, would result in your mapbook being confiscated :ROFLMAO:

Regards

My new France map book has speed cameras displayed :roflmto:

Ralph

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back