It's all kicking off at the French Toll Booths (1 Viewer)

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for that have viewed a few of your videos, specially the going to and from France and toll booths, hopefully be there next year, would like to use the tunnel but we'll have to see how the future pans out, very informative(y):clap:

Edit: as a matter of interest, when using the tolls, have you used coins, credit or debit card, and what denomination of coins or notes are useful to have to hand

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Edit: as a matter of interest, when using the tolls, have you used coins, credit or debit card, and what denomination of coins or notes are useful to have to hand
Credit card for us most of the time - so much easier. Unless wife has a bag full of change she wants to get rid of, then I have to wait 5 minutes while she counts it all out.

We use wife's Nationwide credit card for everything abroad. No exchange charge and the rate is very good too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Credit card for us most of the time - so much easier. Unless wife has a bag full of change she wants to get rid of, then I have to wait 5 minutes while she counts it all out.

We use wife's Nationwide credit card for everything abroad. No exchange charge and the rate is very good too.
Interesting so the next question, firstly I have a nationwide cc, so that's good to know, interesting about wanting to use up change, at what point do you know the cost, is it a case of arrive, stick a ticket in, which says you driven so far that'll be x amount of euros, I could see this being fun if many are waiting behind and it's all euro coins and cents that's going in

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Interesting so the next question, firstly I have a nationwide cc, so that's good to know, interesting about wanting to use up change, at what point do you know the cost, is it a case of arrive, stick a ticket in, which says you driven so far that'll be x amount of euros, I could see this being fun if many are waiting behind and it's all euro coins and cents that's going in
Most booths are automatic, but some are attended. With both the amount comes up on a screen for you to see. Most require you to put the ticket in first but some don't have a ticket system and you pay a set amount. Some of the tickets have the tolls on the back, but often only for cars. Wife keeps a note of the amount each time, so when we are coming back, or going back again she knows roughly how much it is going to be.

One more thing, you will need to unlock your seat belt most of the time. They have two heights for the card input, one for cars which is too low and one for trucks which is too high. Both are a stretch. The new ones are magic though. They move up or down depending upon how high the vehicle is - normally good height then.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Treat yourself to a satnav with "avoid tolls" as an option. We travelled down the west side of France, into Spain as far as Benidorm and then up the east side of France and only spent around 10 euros (apart from over Millau Bridge) on tolls,,, I was on holiday to 8 weeks,, what's the rush.??

OP
OP
KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
If you are an infrequent visitor to France and you only use the Toll roads occasionally then just have your Credit/Debit card handy and pay by that.

If you go to an attended Booth then you can pay with a note or get rid of a load of loose change when you've seen how much to pay.

Some tolls such as Pont de Normandie (€6.30) and Ile de Ré (€16) are a set figure.

Don't worry about a queue forming behind you – when Johnny Foreigner sees a Motorhome or Caravan go to a Booth they all go into a different lane as they seem to think there will be a delay.

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
@peterc10

I did notice on of Keith's going to the tolls, that I saw one with car and truck height, so at least I got that right, but thanks for the info about seat belts, but the moving up and down sounds interesting, I know what I'm asking is well before we go, we are hoping to have 2 trips next year, well that's the plan, in June and September , again hopefully for both each full month, so I try and soak in as much information as I can, and no doubt forget it...Doh!

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Which way did you go when South of Bordeaux now that the N10 is tolled almost all the way to the border?
We left the Twin Lakes rally and went south on the AutoRoute past Bordeaux (cost 5.80ish on one section) then up to Oleron for the night in the Aires, then Somport Tunnel, south past Zaragoza to Valencia,, mostly Autovia in spain but the route over the Pyrenees was slow going,,, hey ho,, 7 weeks to go so no hurry.
Hope that answers your query

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Treat yourself to a satnav with "avoid tolls" as an option. We travelled down the west side of France, into Spain as far as Benidorm and then up the east side of France and only spent around 10 euros (apart from over Millau Bridge) on tolls,,, I was on holiday to 8 weeks,, what's the rush.??
€10 Ouch! That's more than I have spent on French tolls in the last 8 years & we go to or through France at least twice a year.:)

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Yes Lennyhb but there are times when coming off and doing an extra 40 miles to save 5 or so euros is illogical even when fuel is only 1.07 a litre and exchange rate is 1.41

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We left the Twin Lakes rally and went south on the AutoRoute past Bordeaux (cost 5.80ish on one section) then up to Oleron for the night in the Aires, then Somport Tunnel, south past Zaragoza to Valencia,, mostly Autovia in spain but the route over the Pyrenees was slow going,,, hey ho,, 7 weeks to go so no hurry.
Hope that answers your query
Ahhh now I understand. We were heading for Portugal so the Somport Tunnel route was well out of our way, and roads not brilliant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back