mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I'm starting to plan for our long trip without kids next year.. it is 10 days (although I might be able to stretch that to 11 or 12) and for the first time we are planning to take the van and the pup.

I'm assuming pup will sleep most of the way and so we will be able to drive for fairly long stretches but each stop will be longer because as well as us needing a leg stretch and a wee pup will need the same (as well as a fair amount of sniffing and sniffling because he is somewhere new)

How long and how often do you guys plan to stop with pups? As a comparison I plan 20 minutes every 3 hours and an hour every 6 at the moment.. I generally aim to keep driving to under 6 when I'm heading away but often longer on the way home (although possibly not for the long trip as I need to be back feeling refreshed not knackered from a long drive)

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We carry 2 yorkie's and a cat ,up to now this year spent nine weeks in France ,tend to stop every 2 to 3 hrs when traveling to have a leg stretch and give the animals a walk ,refresh then carry on ,in six years never had a mishap in the van .The dogs and the cat tend to go to sleep the second the engine fires up .When at home and packing to go away ,they know we are going away and we get no peace until we are on the road ,they love it lol. Hope you enjoy your trip next year and i think you will find the kids will cause more problems than the pets lol,Enjoy.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We carry 2 yorkie's and a cat ,up to now this year spent nine weeks in France ,tend to stop every 2 to 3 hrs when traveling to have a leg stretch and give the animals a walk ,refresh then carry on ,in six years never had a mishap in the van .The dogs and the cat tend to go to sleep the second the engine fires up .When at home and packing to go away ,they know we are going away and we get no peace until we are on the road ,they love it lol. Hope you enjoy your trip next year and i think you will find the kids will cause more problems than the pets lol,Enjoy.
Thanks treetops. The kids are a bit jealous but we have 2 hols a year with them and one long trip without.. they will get over it.

It sou rd lien the pets don't make your stops longer or more often than ours.. that might be good news.. I'm hoping to get to Lake Garda and Ms Tiggs wants to have a week in one place as part of the trip.. with a day out to go to Venice that means really we need to get there in a night and a day I think.. pushing driving time to 7 hours or so.. personally I would rather take longer to get there and back and keep the lakeside time down to 3 days.. I have time to work on her lol..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back