Free Member
Mar 3, 2015
Riddings, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
5 years
We purchased a new Autotrail Apache 634 in March of this year and have so far towed our Peugeot 107 twice on the 'A' frame, towing is fine however when we take the car off we are getting a warning light on the dashboard (a different one each time), which only goes away by plugging into the computer at our local Peugeot garage at a cost of circa £40 each time. We previously towed the same car with our Autotrail Apache 700 (2010 model) and did not get this problem. Our local Peugeot garage believes the computer on the motorhome is overriding the car which is causing the problem. Has anyone any ideas please ?

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
That's a strange one. Is the ignition on both the motorhome and car turned off when you are plugging and unplugging the electrics?

OP
OP
Sharon F

Sharon F

Free Member
Mar 3, 2015
Riddings, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
5 years
Apologies for slow response, yes both ignitions are turned off when plugging in electrics. I have sent a request to Autotrail to see if they can help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I'm bemused.. does the electric connection for the tow carry any signals at all from the ECU? If not, then the computers aren't talking to each other so can't confuse each other.

I would suggest the A frame fitters need to be responsible for this and my guess is that there is an earth leak somewhere when the towing electrics are connected.. that is a laymans view by the way so don't take it to the bank..

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Try plugging in another trailer or a light board from a trailer and see if you get the same problem.

If you do, its on the Autotrail and it is pretty certain to be the interface that sits between the CAN chassis system for the rear lights and the signals produced to flash "left" and "right" indicators for example.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Try plugging in another trailer or a light board from a trailer and see if you get the same problem.

If you do, its on the Autotrail and it is pretty certain to be the interface that sits between the CAN chassis system for the rear lights and the signals produced to flash "left" and "right" indicators for example.

Ah.. I think I had it the other way round as in it is the car that gets the warning light not the van.. also your answer suggests there is a data link somewhere between the two ECUs that controls the lighting.. wow these things are complicated.. whatever happened to bimetallic strips :rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP
OP
Sharon F

Sharon F

Free Member
Mar 3, 2015
Riddings, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
5 years
Thanks for all your suggestions, have now gone back to Autotrail and the people who fitted the tow bar, both have responded but not sure we are getting anywhere - early days !!!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It would be more helpful if Peugeot actually told you what fault code they are clearing when they hook it up. You can do this yourself very cheaply, purchase an OBDII interface off of ebay, and plug into a laptop. I got a bluetooth one for £15! You can then at least read the code before clearing it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agreed with danielford's above post.
My car has thrown up many random fault codes, of which only two were genuine, they dont reappear once erased using my own OBD11 tool.

I assume the lighting is using the cars original wiring, if so try a lighting board.

If that cures the fault you could run a 7 core trailer wire through the car to a dedicated 7 pin 12N socket at the back and the plug at the front as it is now.
Simply plug in the lighting board, or do as i did...a pair of multi function magnetic lights and reflectors on the tailgate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back