Short Break In France/benelux October/november - Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Hi Folks,
due to unforseen circumstances we have had to cancel our trip to watch the Tour and take in Annecy over the next couple of weeks.
We have to use our Eurotunnel booking by February or lose it.
We had hired the MH for 15 days and are going to use 10 of them taking in cyclings "Spring Classics" next April.
This leaves us 5 days to nip over to France/Belgium for some cheese and wine shopping.
We don't want to go too far for such a short spell - any recommendations appreciated...

Cheers
Bill

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Bruges would be nice, not too far to travel, then onto Ghent maybe, although they are quite samy. (Ghent is cheaper).

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks Mousy - thinking on it we'll be in that Area for the Spring Classics (Tour of Flanders, Scheldpris and Paris - Roubaix) so will probably "do" Ghent then... Northern France it is then - although I want to nip in past Campirama to look at Hymers....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
We toured France by car a couple of years ago and spent our last two nights in Dinan and Dieppe before heading back to Calais for the ferry.

Dinan is beautiful, a really pretty medieval town with a nice riverside area. There is an aire nearby....walkable distance from the riverside and then there is a lovely, winding, very steep street up to the town. Nice shops, cafes etc.

Dieppe surprised us, we expected it to be like a port and quite industrial. But it has a beautiful marina/harbour area and is a nice shopping area with lots of outside cafes. There is a huge aire but it was literally just like a car park with rows and rows of motorhomes, didn't look very nice but we were there when the huge funfair was on the massive car park by the sea...so perhaps there was an excessive number of motorhomes because the funfair was there.

If you are travelling along the north coast with time to spare (which we didn't have) you could stop off at Mont Sant Michel and/or the DDay beaches.

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Exp
We have booked to go over on the evening of Thursday 29th October and will get into Calais about 21.00. Any suggestions for a nice Aire or site close to Calais and far enough from the illegals appreciated...
Not sure what we will do but its a break and I think I'll go to some of the Hymer/Carthago dealers there for a nosey

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Exp
We have booked to go over on the evening of Thursday 29th October and will get into Calais about 21.00. Any suggestions for a nice Aire or site close to Calais and far enough from the illegals appreciated...
Not sure what we will do but its a break and I think I'll go to some of the Hymer/Carthago dealers there for a nosey
Bump...
I'd like to visit Urbano in Ostend and Campirama in Kortrijk when we are over there. I'm a bit concerned that sites may be closed for the winter by then. Any suggestions for good sites/Aires in the region of those towns for the end of October/beginning of November?
Cheers

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Gravelines aire is not too far from Calais ....nice and quiet and by the marina yet only a few minutes walk into the town

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Le Crotoy and the Baie de Somme are quite nice areas to visit and plenty of cycle paths if you are inclined to cycle as well as spectate.
We visited Le Crotoy for the first time last weekend. Was pleasantly surprised by the town, cycling, wildlife and delicious frites (seafood not our thing but lots of it around)

It's an easy drive from Calais, about 65miles away.

Would certainly recommend it and plenty of other aires in the area too (y)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I have stayed at Wissant its close to Calais, nice aire and village

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Bump...
I'd like to visit Urbano in Ostend and Campirama in Kortrijk when we are over there. I'm a bit concerned that sites may be closed for the winter by then. Any suggestions for good sites/Aires in the region of those towns for the end of October/beginning of November?
Cheers
If you visit Urbano in Oostende
You can park for the night on there car park

Jackyboy61

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Crossing from Pool to Cherbourg on 8.0clock boat does enybody know if we can stop over night at the ferry port if we arrive late afternoon day before

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We visited Le Crotoy for the first time last weekend. Was pleasantly surprised by the town, cycling, wildlife and delicious frites (seafood not our thing but lots of it around)

It's an easy drive from Calais, about 65miles away.

Would certainly recommend it and plenty of other aires in the area too (y)

We were just up the road in St Valery Sur Somme over the weekend, however we did find both Wissant and Arras aires full last week so stayed at the Farm at Hardingen and Vimy ridge carpark instead.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back