New regs for over 3.5 tonnes..Greater London (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Will these new regulations affect motorhomes over 3500kgs? Extra mirrors and sideguards to protect cyclists. Starts today.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Will these new regulations affect motorhomes over 3500kgs? Extra mirrors and sideguards to protect cyclists. Starts today.
Mirrors might but side guards won't I don't think. Side guard are to try and stop cyclists etc from entering the gap between wheels on an LGV, MoHo's are too near the ground for that as are Sprinter type vans that are rated over 3500kgs.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
the first thing my Father taught me about Cycling/motorcycling was self preservation.
I see far too often people who put themselves in stupid possisions.
Maybe its time for cycle licences.
I am not anti cycling just anti stupid cycling

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks Paul, some articles say "lorries" some say "vehicles". It wouldn't affect me anyway as I'm under 3.5 tonnes.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm with Mel on this, for a cyclist to be trapped under a LGV that's turning left said cyclist must have put themselves in that position in the first place,I just don't understand why it always seems to be the drivers fault.
Now if the cyclist was there first then the driver should pull up behind it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I've just seen the BBC demonstrate how a cyclist approx 8 foot to the left of a lorry was not visible to the driver without the new type of mirrors. Drivers and cyclists need more information about this.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
I've looked into the law on this and if we are category M1, we are exempt. If we are N2, we're included. The difference is whether we carry "goods". It's confusing. Most new motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes are classed P/HGV, which implies goods and N2. And recall the confusion over MOT classes as to whether you leave the garage locked or unlocked and therefore the tester's discretion? Motoring law in Britain is as clear as mud :-(

And I hope more cities don't get like London. I'm already confused over Congestion Charge and Low Emission Charge before this new one :-(

Dave

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I daresay a lot of the problems are self inflicted by vulnerable people not understanding the risks posed by large vehicles.

I towed a boat up to the start of the London river race one year. I then had to tow the empty car transporter type trailer back through London to the finish.

I had pedestrians stepping through the trailer to cross the road and bikes getting between the trailer wheels and the back of the car and motorbikes.

No doubt it would have been my fault if any of them had been killed!

Lunatics with a death wish!

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I've looked into the law on this and if we are category M1, we are exempt. If we are N2, we're included. The difference is whether we carry "goods". It's confusing. Most new motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes are classed P/HGV, which implies goods and N2. And recall the confusion over MOT classes as to whether you leave the garage locked or unlocked and therefore the tester's discretion? Motoring law in Britain is as clear as mud :-(

And I hope more cities don't get like London. I'm already confused over Congestion Charge and Low Emission Charge before this new one :-(

Dave
Private motorhomes cannot be classed as goods vehicles which the regulations apply to. These are the C&U regs for goods vehicles.
As for goods in the garage, if these are personal and not for sale then they do not count.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Private motorhomes cannot be classed as goods vehicles which the regulations apply to. These are the C&U regs for goods vehicles.
As for goods in the garage, if these are personal and not for sale then they do not count.

I also remember a while back a VOSA /DVSA statement once that items in a motor home should only be those required for day to day living ie food clothes etc. Motorbikes /bicycles are classified as goods although they are not for sale they are not required for day to day living. Hence the confusion with some MOT testers stating that they could not do a class 4 test on a loaded vehicle and wanting to do a class 7 test instead - unless the garage was emptied.

Not heard of that problem lately though - maybe common sense occurred

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm not pro- or anti- cyclist and the antics of some of them annoy me as much as they do the next man BUT .......... large vehicles with a blind spot should not IMO be on the road. With both simple (mirrors) and complex (cameras or sensors) technology available to obviate the problem there should be no 'blind spot' excuses.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
the first thing my Father taught me about Cycling/motorcycling was self preservation.
I see far too often people who put themselves in stupid possisions.
Maybe its time for cycle licences.
I am not anti cycling just anti stupid cycling
Have you really given this some thought time..............:censored:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm with Mel on this, for a cyclist to be trapped under a LGV that's turning left said cyclist must have put themselves in that position in the first place,I just don't understand why it always seems to be the drivers fault.
Now if the cyclist was there first then the driver should pull up behind it.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Never in a million years which is why trucks and the like need proper mirrors/cameras fitted so they can check things are clear before moving off. An advanced stop line does put cyclists ahead of vehicles but they are hardly universal.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
It only affects vehicles exempt from the normal hgv regs about having certain mirrors and side guards, ie construction vehicles. It's to protect cyclists.

All other hgv's have them as standard.

I'm a Boris fan but encouraging thousands of people to cycle in London was an act of lunacy.

I have no prejudice against cyclists, my hatred of them is born from 20 years experience of trying to avoid them in my truck.

Driving an HGV nowadays you very quickly learn to assume there is an idiot on a bike sat in your blindspot and when stuck in slow moving traffic to almost scrape your near side tyres down the curb to stop them coming up your near side.

As for lights or high viz clothing, uhh I give up, they will quite happily spend God know how much on a helmet camera to record all the cars cutting them up but it doesn't occur to them that their money is better spent ON SOME BlOODY LIGHTS!

And relax....

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
we went to heathrow to pick up our son from 5 month south america trip yesterday...Stuck in hours of London traffic, did not see one lorry with anything i could recognise as being any different:(

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
we went to heathrow to pick up our son from 5 month south america trip yesterday...Stuck in hours of London traffic, did not see one lorry with anything i could recognise as being any different:(
The ones with no hi-vis, lights or helmet are difficult to see on a lorry when stuck between the rear axels. (n)
Spud

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Most new motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes are classed P/HGV, which implies goods
And ALL cars are classed PLG....private light GOODS. Does that imply all cars are goods vehicles too ?

ALL vehicles over 3500kg are classed as private heavy goods, not just most.
Whether they are correctly registered as such is another matter.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The ones with no hi-vis, lights or helmet are difficult to see on a lorry when stuck between the rear axels. (n)
Spud
"every vehicle in London over 3.5 tonnes – a disproportionate cause of cyclist and pedestrian deaths - to be fitted with sideguards to protect cyclists from being dragged under the wheels. It will also require them to be fitted with mirrors giving the driver a better view of cyclists and pedestrians around their vehicles."

as I said never saw one with grills

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I do not worry about that one as I cannot go into the STINKING SINK HOLE after the LEZ fright I certainly would not pay £200 for permission to go in there for anything.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I do not worry about that one as I cannot go into the STINKING SINK HOLE after the LEZ fright I certainly would not pay £200 for permission to go in there for anything.

Blimey such vitriol......best city in the world with house prices to match!:)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Best avoid London in a motorhome. Theres plenty more places in the UK to visit without all the aggro or traffic problems.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Having dragged artics through London far too many times I know only too well the enormous stresses on truck drivers to negotiate busy narrow roads whilst trying to activate the eyes up your arse to ensure the safety of cyclists who refuse to obey the rules of the road whilst screaming foul play and lack of consideration on the part of lorry/bus/coach drivers whilst they themselves have no appreciation of the space and distance required by such vehicles to make their manouverse. I KNOW it is the responsibility of the large vehicle drivers to calculate such things but its bloody hard when having taken a line to ensure a safe turn that some "TWONK" on a cycle, or motorbike, (despatch riders AGHHH!!!!) quickly takes the space cos they have no understanding of the situation, blow your horn, they hear NAFF ALL cos they have earphones nailed into the sides of their heads listening to music loudly to "drown out" the noise of traffic

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Cambridge is also a nightmare with cyclists ,it would appear that red lights do not apply to the majority of cyclists.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Here we go......with all cyclists BAD rhetoric..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Anyone undertaking, as that is what it is, has always deserved to be killed.If they are stupid enough not to understand then they really shouldn't be here.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back