How do they get away with it!!! (1 Viewer)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Bought my van new September 2013 cost over 65k, price for insurance £390, happy with that didn't have any N/C bonus
Last year renewed with caravan guard, M/H worth less obviously and with 1yrs N/C went up to £420 informed them I had a better quote reduced it to £395 ( £5 more with 1yrs N/C and M/H worth less, still can't figure that one out)
This year due at the end of the month thought I would try and get it sorted before we go Austria for 3 weeks, now with 2yrs N/C and M/H worth even less than last year (under 50k they said) it's gone up to £443 (can't give me any discount as I had that last year to get it down to £395) so with more N/C and less liability to the insurer it's gone UP 11%, WOW
How do these people get away with it
Any suggestion on companies worth contacting, thanks for any information

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nfu. Never the cheapest but reliable and you can talk to them direct(y)
But the thing is , value of motorhome has little do with insurance and actually if breakdown is included it's more likely to breakdown the older it gets, don't know how old you are but age can come in to it too.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The premiums charged are a dark art unknown to the man in the street.
You should google 'motorhome insurance' and have a ring round.
There is Comfort, Sureguard and several others. Once you get a price you like, use google again and read the independent reviews of the insurer and make you choice from there.
Also check the cover level provided and if they insist on things like a tracker or alarm ( you may already have one but is it to their standard required?).
Interestingly the CC advertise to beat any quote by £25? Not for me though as I decided years ago that the 'get your business ar any price' brigade tend to take the p*** on renewal.
Please post how well you get on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
There is Comfort, Sureguard and several others. Once you get a price you like, use google again and read the independent reviews of the insurer and make you choice from there.
Also check the cover level provided and if they insist on things like a tracker or alarm ( you may already have one but is it to their standard required?).
Interestingly the CC advertise to beat any quote by £25? Not for me though as I decided years ago that the 'get your business ar any price' brigade tend to take the p*** on renewal.
Will do, am 50 the van got a top of the range monitored tracker kept on my drive with a security post and I live in a decent area
Dark age is an understatement, thks for your advice(y)

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Nfu. Never the cheapest but reliable and you can talk to them direct(y)
But the thing is , value of motorhome has little do with insurance and actually if breakdown is included it's more likely to breakdown the older it gets, don't know how old you are but age can come in to it too.
Thks for info, they told me when taking out insurance when I bought it that I needed a tracker because of the cost and surely it must have some impact on insurance cost because at the the end of the day that's there liability if I write it off or it gets stolen yet it still goes up even thou it's worth less and I've made no claims, wouldn't have thought breakdown would come into it as its only 2 yrs old so everything in there favor
Need to ring round, still trying to get my head round the scam these companies are involved in

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We are with Safeguard they told me that if you have a new van they provide new for old replacement up to two years and when renewing the premium is based on value of new replacement if I was to forget the new for old bit I could get it cheaper.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Been with Caravan Guard for years... just got my renewal and it had jumped a lot..

Rang insurance On-Line.. (Brokers I Think)... and they got me over £200 cheaper through AXA... with the self same cover..(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Same here. Been with CaravanGuard for a couple of years. Renewal quote came through for, wait for it..... £785.00 :Eeek: no incidents, accidents or convictions. Rang Comfort and was quoted £292.00 for slightly better cover. Didn't bother ringing anyone else, that was good enough for me.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Been with Caravan Guard for years... just got my renewal and it had jumped a lot..

Rang insurance On-Line.. (Brokers I Think)... and they got me over £200 cheaper through AXA... with the self same cover..(y)
Thks for the info, looks like my 2yrs with caravan guard coming to an end and they won't get my business for the 3rd year simply on principle as they said if I get a better quote contact them and they will look at beating it
What happened to 80% of your business comes from 20% of your customers

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
How do these people get away with it

'course they can! and do!
These people are not in business to do you favours, they want to rip you of with highest price they can get. Play them at their own game and tell them you can happily go else where, that tends to make them sharpen their pencil.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
RenewaL time for me as well. Been with caravanguard since we bought the motorhome but their quote seems high and they've mucked me about so looking elsewhere. Very surprised at the levels of cover in particular the time limitations for use in Europe etc so well worth looking at the policy if you are changing. Comfort seem to be the cheapest at the moment so looking good and £110 cheaper than Caravanguard!

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Will do, am 50 the van got a top of the range monitored tracker kept on my drive with a security post and I live in a decent area
Dark age is an understatement, thks for your advice(y)

I used Direct Line as I had 2 years no claims on my second car which I sold and transferred to the new MoHo (March 2015). Cost was £194 with £350 excess or £234 at £0 excess. No concerns about alarm, tracker or where I parked as long as it was in the same AB10 postcode. I park on my drive but there will be times that I need to park it overnight close by so I made that clear. Caravan Club wanted something in the region of £500 after their discount. Aye, right!!!

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been with Comfort for a few years, premium went down this year only 2 quid, but it was the right way, value doesn't effect the premium if it's under 70k, and only require an alarm.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Phoned Comfort to take out policy. Very worried that they will in no circumstances cover the van if it's parked outside the house on the road. So if you have your van in accepted storage (as we do) and then park it outside your house to load up or anything you are not covered. I hope people are aware of this?

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Phoned Comfort to take out policy. Very worried that they will in no circumstances cover the van if it's parked outside the house on the road. So if you have your van in accepted storage (as we do) and then park it outside your house to load up or anything you are not covered. I hope people are aware of this?
I rung them today to get a quote, also if left elsewhere other than on my drive (this is where the van is kept as indicated on my policy) for more than 36hrs unattended it's not insured unless you inform them, more than likely to charge you more money but something to be aware off

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I rung them today to get a quote, also if left elsewhere other than on my drive (this is where the van is kept as indicated on my policy) for more than 36hrs unattended it's not insured unless you inform them, more than likely to charge you more money but something to be aware off

I think you'll find that's pretty standard with any vehicle insurance, it's just not made clear very often. I thought it was good work by Comfort to make it clear when they told me the same.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Done as you suggested and looks like I will have to eat a bit of humble pie having said I was going else where
Very good reviews online and to be honest when dealing with them very efficient
Rung pretty much most insurers as suggested by funsters in above posts and Caravan Guard came in 3rd in competitiveness but the other 2 were only 10/15 quid cheaper so pretty much Caravan Guard are competitive in my
case and it's more to do with the Industry as a whole and how they operate

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
How on earth can someone moan about such a pittance compared to value.

Most young ones pay that every couple of months for a beat up soda.

Just saying like

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Done as you suggested and looks like I will have to eat a bit of humble pie having said I was going else where
Very good reviews online and to be honest when dealing with them very efficient
Rung pretty much most insurers as suggested by funsters in above posts and Caravan Guard came in 3rd in competitiveness but the other 2 were only 10/15 quid cheaper so pretty much Caravan Guard are competitive in my
case and it's more to do with the Industry as a whole and how they operate
At least next year you should get them calling you to offer their 'amazing deal'.
Glad your sorted, enjoy Austria knowing it covered properly.:)

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
How on earth can someone moan about such a pittance compared to value.

Most young ones pay that every couple of months for a beat up soda.

Just saying like
My moan wasn't about the cost more about why it's gone up with more N/C and lower liability to the Insurer

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'm afraid that EVERYONE will have to allow an amount of time each year to check EVERYTHING that you have control to change.
That means, Insurance, (of all types, vehicle, house, boiler etc) Utilities provider, the list goes on.

Only by doing it will you see a benefit in your pocket. Fail to do it and the providers will clean you out.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We paid a lot for our first year On the transit but ended up getting a much cheaper policy for our new van by shopping around. http://www.insurancechoice.co.uk was the broker we used for our new van. Their number is 0844 55 77 600

About 200 quid with no no claims and parked on the road.. no breakdown and I am only 40

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
I used Direct Line as I had 2 years no claims on my second car which I sold and transferred to the new MoHo (March 2015). Cost was £194 with £350 excess or £234 at £0 excess. No concerns about alarm, tracker or where I parked as long as it was in the same AB10 postcode. I park on my drive but there will be times that I need to park it overnight close by so I made that clear. Caravan Club wanted something in the region of £500 after their discount. Aye, right!!!
Worth checking with Direct Line about their european cover, only found out on our car renewal that they only give third party cover in europe unless extra is paid!!! I paid £185 fully comp for our Merc slk for the year, but they wanted an extra £126 for thirty days european cover

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
On renewal, this year, I asked for quotes to add my daughter and son-in-law to our policy as they wish to "borrow" the M/H twice in one month.

Additional cost for one month cover £266. To add them for the whole of next year £140.99. You couldn't make it up!:mad:

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Worth checking with Direct Line about their european cover, only found out on our car renewal that they only give third party cover in europe unless extra is paid!!! I paid £185 fully comp for our Merc slk for the year, but they wanted an extra £126 for thirty days european cover
I found that out when I asked for a quote, which surprised me, so if going aboard there not that competitive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back