ACSI Camping.....disappointed (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Just purchased the ACSI 2009 campsite guidebook and have to say how disappointed i am.

If you are travelling in France, Germany or Spain......fine and ok. But thats about where it starts and stops. Any other country listed has absolutely paltry offerings. UK lists just three......THREE!! :whatthe: sites.

As for the discount card which comes with the book. Are they havin' a laugh or what? The only discounting is during off peak!!

There are far more sites listed on the website which is totally 100% free.

I won't bother buying another!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Just purchased the ACSI 2009 campsite guidebook and have to say how disappointed i am.

If you are travelling in France, Germany or Spain......fine and ok. But thats about where it starts and stops. Any other country listed has absolutely paltry offerings. UK lists just three......THREE!! :whatthe: sites.

As for the discount card which comes with the book. Are they havin' a laugh or what? The only discounting is during off peak!!

But with ACSI and camping cheques the whole idea is its off peak. They do the main three countries and suppose cant offer campsites in other countries good occupancy rates.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
You are of course entitled to your opinion but as we spend 4 - 5 months in France and Spain we find the ASCI card and book extremely useful as we also travel out of peak season.
What is very good and worth every penny is the ASCI DVD which contains details of over 8600 sites including the ones that take the ASCI card itself.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
The ACSI card has been great for us travelling with two kids. It has saved us a fortune.
Do you really expect discount high season ? ................
Maybe your posting is a wind up ?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi stayed at Quarteria in Portugal Feb 08, using the ACSI discount it was €14 per night, RV, two people inc. lecky, flipping good I thought. ::bigsmile:

Olley

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We used ACSI on our 8 week jaunt and easily got our money back and some,, But a lot of sites left a bit to be desired, ie scruffy and a lot with beat up old touring caravans, obviousley used and sited permanently..

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Sorry mate - don't think you read what you were buying.

Its quite clear normally.

The ACSI BOOK and CARD are needed for discounts, these are available off peak as others say.

The website and DVD contail 8600+ sites - just "FYI" - not all are discount. (Only 1300?? are discounted and these are all in the book).

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Don't forget to look at the campsite reviews on this site - many, like Parc Verger, will not be in ACSI because we're too small. They are all sites that MHFunsters have experienced, and you'll find a good selection. Some, like us, will offer discounts, and I am sure that most will have special terms for long stays.:thumb::thumb:

Wherever you go enjoy the journeys.

Bob and Di

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
We stayed at a campsite convenient for Paris - we had the ACSI card & was charged 14euro per night . . our friends who didn't believe in the ACSI card system & didn't have one paid the price - they were paying 24euro per night . . Ummm . . to me its a 'no brainer' but your entitled to you opinion - even if it costs you a lot more.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

So was I - I bought one and we forgot to pack it.

In Millau we had to pay €18.50 but a great big sign on the gate ASCI €13, so if I'd packed it that one stay would have paid the cost.

Did pack it last year, one stop on Lake Garda more than recovered the cost - Camping Butterfly - excellent site.

What do you want for the price of a couple of gallons of diesel ?

It might not be perfect for everyone but for the price it's well worth having in the locker.

But no F^*&(**(&(*&_& use at all in a book case at home.

denisew123

Free Member
Oct 19, 2008
Sunderland
Funster No
Exp
Off and on for 25 years - more off than on!
I bought a card last year and this year and it saved us a lot. You have to read the guide book and perhaps compare their listing with others to select a campsite. Last year we toured Portugal and I paid 10 or 12 euros a night. If I had booked the same sites with the caravan club I would have paid well over £25 per night. Well worth it for off peak travel I say!:thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I bought one and we dont even stay on campsites! Its a tenner!!!!!

The idea for us as we are doing a long trip is that we may use a big site every couple of weeks to do laundry etc. Mind you we were supposed to set off a month ago and are not leaving till Tuesday 9th June now so will have about a month to use it but even if I use it two or three times its worth a tenner surely.

S

stagman

Deleted User
Going slightly off subject , but is the guide any good for Northern Portugal and can anyone recommend a campsite near Porto ,out of season of course :thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Going slightly off subject , but is the guide any good for Northern Portugal and can anyone recommend a campsite near Porto ,out of season of course :thumb:

You can look and search for them online at Link Removed

Seems to be about 10 in northern Portugal:Smile:

thepadster

Free Member
Apr 19, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
not long in this one
where to get ACSI

Hi to all , where can i get this ACSI card and book from , plus i wanna get a book of the aires in france as we are going there the end of the month so where is the best place to order them from
cheers
padster:Smile:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi to all , where can i get this ACSI card and book from , plus i wanna get a book of the aires in france as we are going there the end of the month so where is the best place to order them from
cheers
padster:Smile:

Click on home and scroll down and click on the site shop .The aires in France book is ok but you have to be carefull some of the gps points are either wrong , not there or not as described ,:thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi to all , where can i get this ACSI card and book from.....
Here.....Link Removed

Then go to webshop.

My main 'gripe' is the book is pretty poor. Plenty of listings in France and Spain but thats about yer lot i'm afraid. That it lists just THREE sites in the UK is nothing short of a joke.

The website is far more comprehensive listing a variety of sites throughout Europe, is totally free to access, and if the DVD has the same amount of listings.....then i would buy the DVD instead of the book.

The only 'plus' with the book is you get the card entitling you to reduced rates at certain sites, but the reductions only apply during off season. So for 90% of folk......pretty much useless!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Never use one. After spending the last 5 winters touring Spain & Portugal we have found many sites that you can stay at for much less them €14. ::bigsmile:
Cabanas near Tavira, €8.83 a night for a months stay. :thumb:
For Portugal sites try HERE (in English) plenty all over Portugal, many less than €14 in the off season.
:Cool:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Never use one. After spending the last 5 winters touring Spain & Portugal we have found many sites that you can stay at for much less them €14. ::bigsmile:
There are many decent sites charging less than €14 as you say. These site books are only any use as emergency 'back up' if stuck. When i'm not wild camping and want a site i tend to look for small hand written signs at the side of the road. This style of signing usually indicates the site will be basic and therefore very cheap. For one night thats ok for me and if i get electric as well....thats a bonus.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
There are many decent sites charging less than €14 as you say. These site books are only any use as emergency 'back up' if stuck. When i'm not wild camping and want a site i tend to look for small hand written signs at the side of the road. This style of signing usually indicates the site will be basic and therefore very cheap. For one night thats ok for me and if i get electric as well....thats a bonus.

Hi

We are off to France on Tuesday. Will probably wild camp as much as possible and maybe use Aires now and again. Are we likely to come across many small sites like you describe? Sort of CL type sites. Not Aires but small sites out of town in the country side with space for maybe a dozen vans or so. We may decide to stay in one area for a while and explore on the bike and dont really want to wild camp in one place for too long or stay on a huge campsite.

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi

We are off to France on Tuesday. Will probably wild camp as much as possible and maybe use Aires now and again. Are we likely to come across many small sites like you describe? Sort of CL type sites. Not Aires but small sites out of town in the country side with space for maybe a dozen vans or so. We may decide to stay in one area for a while and explore on the bike and dont really want to wild camp in one place for too long or stay on a huge campsite.

Check out these sites The UK Camp Site for Tent and Caravan Campers in the UK and motorhomingfrance.co.uk .We have not long come back from France traveled down through the Rhone Valley to the Carmargue on to Narbourne Plage Aire - Carcassone -- Millau -- Orleans and back to Calais .A few dissapointing Aires on the way a few really good ones especially Narbourne .Also used some Camping Cheques and visited some very nice camp sites. :thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi

Away from coastal areas and in country village type areas is your best bet. Often find small farms or smallholdings that take a few mh'ers etc. Probably limited facilities but it will be cheap....and very very peaceful!

Crude home made signing is often a good indication to a cheap but pleasant stopover.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
For Portugal sites try HERE (in English) plenty all over Portugal, many less than €14 in the off season.
:Cool:

Keith

Can you tell me how much a ONE night stay at Cabanas near Tavira for a motorhome
two adults and electric might be ?

There are very few campsites that charge less than 14 euros a night for ONE night's stay.
Clearly there are some, many with few or no facilities. I would appreciate the name
of a few especially in Spain and Portugal. Italy would be interesting. I defy anyone to
find a campsite less than 14 euros north of Rome . French campsites are never cheap. Do you know any that charge less than 14 euros for ONE night stay ? ( I know one )
I am not asking about aires or camping a la ferme kind of stopovers but campsites in the
usual sense of the word.

Thanks

Thanks

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
There are very few campsites that charge less than 14 euros a night for ONE night's stay. Clearly there are some, many with few or no facilities.

I defy anyone to find a campsite less than 14 euros north of Rome .
Indeed there are. It seems you have been staying on sites with playgrounds, disco's and all the tat which makes up the holiday camp 'atmosphere'!

Berlin is north of Rome, admittedly toward the east as well, but a site there i stayed at last year just outside Berlin had by far the best shower and toilet block i have ever laid eyes upon which must have cost a small fortune to fit out. I paid just 8 or 9 euro a night....with electricity. It was so good infact that i am returning there again this year though expect the charges will have increased.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Thanks for that Bulletguy. Was that for ONE night with two adults and electricity ?

My point is that there are very few sites ( in the usual accepted meaning of the word )

that will put you up for one night for less than 14 euros. I would not want people to

read this thread and think they can roll up on a site for a night and pay less than 14 euros.

It simply is not generally the case.

Can anyone name another site ? ( assuming the Berlin one was a ONE nighter !! )

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs

We have used the ACSI book for the past 5 yrs and wouldn't travel without it. Yes there are cheaper sites and the point is its another string to your bow.:thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thanks for that Bulletguy. Was that for ONE night with two adults and electricity ?
Hmmm.....must admit as a solo traveller i forget some sites will charge per adult.

However, this is the site i stayed on near Berlin last year.
Camping In Deutschland » Campingplatz Barnimer Land » Campingplatz in Brandenburg » Campingplatz Campingplatz Am Liepnitzsee

I was there for four nights last year but this year i'm going back and will stay longer. I was so impressed by the toilet and shower block i tried to take some photos, but being in a rush (not wanting anyone to see me!!), they were hastily taken and i got the damn exposures wrong! But take it from me this site is well worth visiting. The high standards of the shower block should be used as a benchmark to what all other campsites should aspire to. If anyone has seen better.....i'd like to know!

In fact i think that could be the making of a good thread.

"Best toilet/shower block experienced".

Last edited:
N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
In Millau we had to pay €18.50 but a great big sign on the gate ASCI €13, so if I'd packed it that one stay would have paid the cost...

Cote Sud in Millau last week... 11.80€ .... if you don't ASCI you don't get...:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back