Engine Re-map for Ducato 2800 cc (1 Viewer)

reynardracer

Free Member
Aug 10, 2015
Twyford
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All,
I am a newbie here having just bought a Hymer B644g for use in towing my race car to circuits and then staying for the weekend. We cannot wait for our first outing in her after we pick her up next Sunday.

Reason for the post is to ask if anyone has had a vehicle like this 'chipped/remapped' as I have a fairly large trailer which might prove a bit of a burden to a circa 2000 2.8 Fiat Ducato. I have read that this type of modification can produce greater torque and better fuel economy.

I live in Twyford near Reading in Berkshire so any one with any experience on the subject I would be keen to hear from.

Cheers
Pete & Sue

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi and :welc:
I believe that remapping puts extra strain on the clutch but those more informed will be along shortly (y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As your motorhome is a 2.8 circa 2000 it's probably a mechanical pump type Diesel engine and as such cannot be "chipped/ remapped"
I've heard of somebody having the injectors changed which they said helped, not sure if it was on here or Facts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'd agree with Manic, on a year 2K it probably is mechanical so not chippable/remapable. If its any consolation I tow a 1500KG trailer/car outfit behind my 1996 Iveco Daily Turbo with just 100BHP (although I suspect its actually less than that) and apart from big hills taking the wind out of its sails its fine. Just plan your journeys to allow extra time when towing.

What car and what type of racing do you do by the way? I hillclimb and sprint a mk1 MX5.

D.

OP
OP
R

reynardracer

Free Member
Aug 10, 2015
Twyford
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks guys for all the updates. I drive a Reynard 913 F3 car converted to run in the Monoposto Championship in a rather large trailer hence my concern. But I am reassured by your towing experience. I will just have to see how it goes.

Peter

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Hi, I remap for a living and have mapped the 2800 jtd engines but it will depend on what fuel pump is fitted to your van.
If you want to pm me your reg number I can find out for you.
I have mapped the two motorhomes I have owned with a combined mileage of 25k. Both been absolutely fine. If a remap is done properly you shouldn't have any problems.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi, I remap for a living and have mapped the 2800 jtd engines but it will depend on what fuel pump is fitted to your van.
If you want to pm me your reg number I can find out for you.
I have mapped the two motorhomes I have owned with a combined mileage of 25k. Both been absolutely fine. If a remap is done properly you shouldn't have any problems.

I think you will find the OP's motorhome will be the 2.8idTD and not
jtd and so there won't be anything to remap

Aug 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
Fiat Bessacarr E495 6 ber
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have a similar request - my vehicle is a 2.8jTD registered January 2007. First time to Italy with it this year through France & Switzerland and we struggled a little travelling up the very long inclines of France, at times dropping down below 50mph and into 3rd from 5th. Since coming back I've been checking the Internet for suitable mapping systems but have noticed several reports indicating that some of the systems don't actually deliver what they claim to do. It seems like a minefield! Can anyone recommend a reliable system that has been tried & tested?

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Your research has probably led you to 2 options Adog.
Tuning box or ecu remap?
If you want to pm me I'll give you my mobile number and gladly talk to you about both options if that helps?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Your research has probably led you to 2 options Adog.
Tuning box or ecu remap?
If you want to pm me I'll give you my mobile number and gladly talk to you about both options if that helps?
Can you share the advice for us all please. Been interested in a remap. I've heard that it can lead to premature clutch failure and of course, I wouldn't want that :)

I do still suffer from the occasional lack of power when the engine management light comes on. Usually going uphill, or if I take it over 2500 rpm. Will a remap stop this happening?

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Can you share the advice for us all please. Been interested in a remap. I've heard that it can lead to premature clutch failure and of course, I wouldn't want that :)

I do still suffer from the occasional lack of power when the engine management light comes on. Usually going uphill, or if I take it over 2500 rpm. Will a remap stop this happening?

Have you had your MH remapped or is it still on the manufactures software??

Aug 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
Fiat Bessacarr E495 6 ber
Exp
I'm a newbie
I believe it's still on manufacturer's software but I've only had the MH since August last year.

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
I can tell if any vehicle is remapped already once I have read the file off the ecu.
Not sure if you read my earlier posts? I've remapped both of my vans and never had a problem with either.
Nothing wrong with a tuning box if bought from a reputable company and they do work to a degree but the cheap ones which can be found on certain auction sites are a no no, all they have in them are a couple of resistors. You will always hear remapping horror stories but again if it's done by a company that's well established with good back up and support you shouldn't have a problem.
I have remapped MHs for one of the largest MH dealers in the UK and not had a problem with any of them. I have a new customer from Wales camping in Dorset next week that wants me to map his on the site, he was passed my number from another MH dealer.
I travel all over the UK so if I'm passing near anyone would be happy to help.
Happy also to give my mobile number to anyone who prefers to talk, just message me if you want it.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Tony, can you explain to me why it costs several hundred pounds for a generic remap that can literally be done in about 15 minutes in a field compared to having my car remapped on a rolling road which took five hours and only cost £400 and has obviously resulted in a custom map for my vehicle?

Cheers, D.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Have you had your MH remapped or is it still on the manufactures software??
As far as I'm aware, it's still on the original software...don't think the couple I got it from would have had it mapped either. Also looking at performance I'd say defo on original :)

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Tony, can you explain to me why it costs several hundred pounds for a generic remap that can literally be done in about 15 minutes in a field compared to having my car remapped on a rolling road which took five hours and only cost £400 and has obviously resulted in a custom map for my vehicle?

Cheers, D.
Hi Dave
We write all our files as we have in house writers and we have a dyno too. Generic files are normally done by the mobile guys who buy files from people they don't even know with just standard adjustments which will make a difference. Your car being done on a dyno means your tuner can fine tune your file as he can get logs from the dyno runs and tune accordingly for the best possible tune.
Can I ask, do you not remap at your workshop?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Tony, no I don't remap, I don't own a dyno and believe the only safe way to remap is on a dyno. In your reply who is "we" please and how are the files written? Exactly what is altered in the map? Injection timing, quantity, turbo boost levels? And can you please answer my original question: why does a generic remap cost several hundred pounds when a RR session to produce three individual maps (3rd party ECU which can switch between maps on the fly) taking five hours only cost £400?

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi again Tony, I assume your lack of response is due to being away at the moment, we too have been away for the weekend to our little hideaway where there is no signal to be had on any medium: mobile phone; No, Radio; No, TV; No, satellite TV; NO. When you do get back on line I'd really appreciate answers to my questions ;-)

D.

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Hi again Tony, I assume your lack of response is due to being away at the moment, we too have been away for the weekend to our little hideaway where there is no signal to be had on any medium: mobile phone; No, Radio; No, TV; No, satellite TV; NO. When you do get back on line I'd really appreciate answers to my questions ;-)

D.
Hi Dave, have been away so sorry for the late response time.
We are the company Topgear Tuning, we have our own file writers in the office and the files are written for each car/van that we do. All files have been tested on dynos as we have garages and other tuning companies all over the world that we test with so you don't need the dyno as we have done all the testing for you. Up until this month that's how we have been doing it. We are having as we speak our brand new 4 wheel dyno being installed so we can do even more, should be fully up and running by the end of October.
You need a lot of training and software to write files and the things you have mentioned are all adj plus the torque maps and I'm sure quite a few other areas. I don't write files, I travel demonstrating and training guys how to remap as we also sell the equipment to do it and would be more than happy to come and show you if you are up for visitors. I'm not sure I can really answer you last question that well as I don't set prices to be honest but I was lead to believe that a 3rd party ecu is quite an expensive bit of kit to buy in the first place but it's a lot easier to adj that an OE ecu. I would also like to invite you and anyone else who maybe has an interest to come and see us in Bridport, I will gladly show you around and you can see how the files are all written.
While I'm chatting away here I might as well tell you about the other services we can off at our HQ and at some of the 100 + dealers around the UK.
Topgear is also the HQ for Powerflow exhausts and long life exhausts.
We can custom build an exhaust for any car/van/Motorhome if need be out of stainless steel. All systems are guaranteed for life.
Please have a look at the websites
www.topgear-tuning.com
www.powerflowexhausts.co.uk
www.longlife.co.uk.
Be happy to answer any more questions if anyone has any.
Thanks
Tony.

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
But surely Tony if vehicles are being remapped without actually being on a RR then they can only be receiving a generic map as it cannot be custom tailored to that vehicle without the RR. Thanks for the offer of training/visiting your premises but I'll pass thanks :), not interested in getting into remapping.

Yes my car has a relatively expensive 3rd party ECU but that is because its a race car (hillclimb/sprint MX5) but it could just as easily have been a standard ECU and the RR time/charges would be the same. My point is that a generic map written in an office and applied to hundreds of vehicles should not cost as much as a five hour RR session where the new map is customised to the vehicle in question.

Just a minor point but the points I mentioned are just about all you can alter for a diesel engine without mechanical alterations, injection timing, quantity and boost levels are the only parameters you can change, the "torque map" you mention is simply the digital information stored in the ECU memory and details the injection timing, quantity and boost level for any given load/speed condition.

D.

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Dave
Unfortunately a lot of garages can't afford rolling roads so what we and many other tuning companies offer is the next best thing. Yes my Audi diesel hasn't got a custom map on it but the file was written buy us, buy the guys I trust and to get 74.2 mpg on a family saloon when I went from poole to Watford last week will please majority of customers.
If customers had to buy a new 3rd party ecu and pay for a rolling road session surley that would be more than £250 for a obd remap? And what extra bhp/ torque would you gain.
I will get a test done on my car as it only seems fair to compare once our dyno is up and running.
I will return it to the Manufacturers file and dyno it. We will then put the file that's on it now and do the same, the I will get the guys to look at the logs from the car and make any changes the feel is necessary to make the file better and see what bhp/torque gains are.
Take a trip to Dorset and come see us, love to show you what we do.

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If customers had to buy a new 3rd party ecu and pay for a rolling road session surley that would be more than £250 for a obd remap? And what extra bhp/ torque would you gain.
As I've already said a 3rd party ECU is not necessary, mine has one for a specific reason (standard ECU cannot handle ITBs) but if a standard ECU is remappable then a RR remap has to be better as the map generated is bespoke tailored to that vehicles characteristics and not just a copy of a generic map. You could gain just as much extra BHP/torque or even more than a generic remap but if done in conjunction with EGA then emissions can be brought into the equation.

I will get a test done on my car as it only seems fair to compare once our dyno is up and running.
I will return it to the Manufacturers file and dyno it. We will then put the file that's on it now and do the same, the I will get the guys to look at the logs from the car and make any changes the feel is necessary to make the file better and see what bhp/torque gains are.

Great but it doesn't address any of my questions.

Take a trip to Dorset and come see us, love to show you what we do.
No thanks mate, not that interested in generic remapping and I simply don't have time to take a day off to go to Dorset.

Still no reasonable answer as to why a generic remap costs almost as much as a RR remap though. :)

D.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
I had mine remaped at Malvern show by "QUANTUM" - before re-map 20.6 m.p.g cruising at 65 mph - after re-map 23.8 in a Chieftain. Power also up from 156 to 190 (As Stated by Quantum) and yes it was quite noticeable.

Would recommend them based on my experience. They too send your original installed file to office then down load bespoke file back for your specific vehicle - Show price £249-00.

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
If your happy with it then that's good.
There show prices are a good price too.