Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I thought things where going to good I am tottaly rubbish at this techie stuff but i decided to unlock my Vodafone mifi to use a three sim. I obtained new three sim and an unlock code and managed to unlock the mifi BINGO I thought but now I have troubles. I can connect to the mifi no problems but i cant open the three site I just get the vodafone dashboard I will try adding photo of page I get and cant go on from.

Deleted User
Try connecting to this site if it is a huawei mifi 192.168.1.1, log into settings using the password 'admin', then 'dial up, network settings on manual, profile set to 3UK and APN 3internet

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I'm getting this far thanks matamoros ill give it a whirl
Screenshot_2015-08-31-19-43-22.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is possible it has connected using a 3 PAYG APN instead of the monthly one, or vice versa depending on what you have. Or, the 3 sim has not been activated or has no credit if PAYG.

Try the sim in a phone if you have an unlocked one and see what happens. You could also try ringing 3 of course.

But read the mifi instructions as it may not be set to autoconnect and there is another page you need to navigate to to get it to connect.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
3 are extremely funny regarding tethering.

I put my 3 payg sim in my mifi unit and shortly got a curt message on my tablet along the lines....OI ! put the sim back in a phone...we dont allow mifi tethering.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
3 are extremely funny regarding tethering.

I put my 3 payg sim in my mifi unit and shortly got a curt message on my tablet along the lines....OI ! put the sim back in a phone...we dont allow mifi tethering.
Are you using a data sim or a phone sim? You can ONLY use a data sim in a MIFI

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The 3 SIM I got was a waste of space, never got a good connection here or abroad. Just bought an EE one. Perfect 4G at home, but will it work on the road ?

Deleted User
The 3 SIM I got was a waste of space, never got a good connection here or abroad. Just bought an EE one. Perfect 4G at home, but will it work on the road ?

I've used mine through Spain and France with admittedly variable results but always got a connection on one network or other.

Currently getting speeds up to 11 mps on 3G on site in Heywood , I can see the mast from here though :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I looked at EE after someone visited here and got a 4g signal which was a surprise as other networks struggle here. Then I looked at their charges for use in Europe - an eye watering £4 to £5 a day! I'll stay with my 3 PAYG for the moment when in France or Spain.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
For what it is worth I could not connect at my home, poor signal, but have connected easily in Switzerland and in Italy.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I give up thats a few hours of my life I will never get back
You could try taking it to a local computer shop. I am sure it can be made to work but at the risk of hindsight, this is where buying from someone who can give good after sales service is invaluable. I bought my mifi from www.motorhomewifi.com and it came already set up for the sim card I bought from them at the same time and they answered my subsequent questions very quickly. @Addie who runs it with his better half is a Funster here.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I did the same, never got rid of the vodaphone page but it does work on three even so, but when it's working you don't need the page anyway, hth.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have a mifi and every time I use a different operator sim it takes me ages to sort apn settings
Down load the settings and play around

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
You could try taking it to a local computer shop. I am sure it can be made to work but at the risk of hindsight, this is where buying from someone who can give good after sales service is invaluable. I bought my mifi from www.motorhomewifi.com and it came already set up for the sim card I bought from them at the same time and they answered my subsequent questions very quickly. @Addie who runs it with his better half is a Funster here.

Yes your right I contacted them this afternoon and he pointed me to his video showing me how to set there's up. I had to make a decision by 6pm as they will only shipping tommorow this week time against me I still haven't watched video as just finished work and also leave country Friday

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Try connecting to this site if it is a huawei mifi 192.168.1.1, log into settings using the password 'admin', then 'dial up, network settings on manual, profile set to 3UK and APN 3internet

I've been getting the same problems here in France..

My daughter sorted what to do but I get the message that they may charge extra for roaming.
Does this mean my data allowance will just get used faster or will I get billed or my card charged ?
I'm on a PAYG sim and bought 7gb before we left the UK.

Thanks .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've been getting the same problems here in France..

My daughter sorted what to do but I get the message that they may charge extra for roaming.
Does this mean my data allowance will just get used faster or will I get billed or my card charged ?
I'm on a PAYG sim and bought 7gb before we left the UK.

Thanks .
If you have 3 you should be fine in France as they charge the same as the UK. I've just bought 3Gb for my PAYG, it only lasts 30 days then expires but I have found I can top up when outside the UK so will do that if I need to.

Deleted User
If you are in France which I think you are then a 3 PAYG sim should include the 'feel at home' service so that there are no roaming charges.
I have never had a message about paying extra for roaming, check that you are connected to one of their partner networks such as Orange, Bytel, I think Bougyes and a network with just numbers as a name, there may be others but definitely not SFR.

I presume you used the sim in the UK before you left so the APN should be OK but check that it is 3internet, look at my previous post if you are not sure how to do this.

As DBK says you can top up outside the UK, I think you have to register the sim and obtain a pass code to do this.

Here https://www.three.co.uk/New_My3/My3_Home

Sorry if you have already done all this.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ah, good point about checking it all works before leaving the UK. Some have had no problems but others have. Also I could only register my card over the phone, not on line despite what the website said.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If you are in France which I think you are then a 3 PAYG sim should include the 'feel at home' service so that there are no roaming charges.
I have never had a message about paying extra for roaming, check that you are connected to one of their partner networks such as Orange, Bytel, I think Bougyes and a network with just numbers as a name, there may be others but definitely not SFR.

I presume you used the sim in the UK before you left so the APN should be OK but check that it is 3internet, look at my previous post if you are not sure how to do this.

As DBK says you can top up outside the UK, I think you have to register the sim and obtain a pass code to do this.

Here https://www.three.co.uk/New_My3/My3_Home

Sorry if you have already done all this.

Yes it's Bytel we are connecting through. And yes we have used the SIM over the last two years in the UK. Connection here and at our previous site in France ic very good . I do have to keep re connecting if I turn off the device or if it's lay unused for a few hours but that's no real problem. It can take several minutes before an actual live connection is on after hitting the connect button.

Cheers.

Deleted User
Is it a strong signal on bytel, it is possible to do a manual search for other networks in order to try and find a stronger signal.

My, and others, experience has been that some 'throttling' of the speed occurs and streaming is almost impossible.

You can always check your remaining download allowance at the 3 website.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes it's Bytel we are connecting through. And yes we have used the SIM over the last two years in the UK. Connection here and at our previous site in France ic very good . I do have to keep re connecting if I turn off the device or if it's lay unused for a few hours but that's no real problem. It can take several minutes before an actual live connection is on after hitting the connect button.

Cheers.
Depending on your MiFi you may be able to set it up to connect automatically. With some suppliers this isn't a good thing because if the signal is very poor you may not choose to connect and prefer to wait until you are somewhere else before connecting. But if it is set to auto connect then you may get charged the daily rate even though, having checked the signal strength, you decide not to connect. Some suppliers, like O2 for example, charge as set fee as soon as you connect. With Three this isn't an issue because there isn't a daily rate, you are only charged for the data used so on a Three MiFi you might as well set it to connect automatically if you can. I hope that makes sense!

Another thing I've just remembered. If you have an Android device, turn off auto-update of apps as this will eat data. You do it in settings in the Play Store thingy.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I knew I had a link somewhere to this site and have just found it....
Broken Link Removed
There is a 15min video that takes you through the setting up process.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back