Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
Hi everyone,
we currently have an autosleeper Trident T5 but as we are getting older, we are reluctantly having to admit that we require something with a little more lounge space for comfort. we have been shortlisting for weeks but need advice on some of the 'brands' out there.

We have been warned that having owned an Autosleeper, we are likely to find other UK brands somewhat lacking in the quality stakes as they are more akin to their German counterparts, however most of the German layouts dont suit us.

We want ideally a 2 berth, with rear lounge (either U shaped or twin settees) or mid lounge with large twin settees. The only other must have is aircon. It can be a PVC or coachbuilt but we like to wildcamp and tootle round little villages etc and therefore want something fairly small.

on our shortlist so far are :
Lunar Landstar on a Mercedes Sprinter base
Bentley Indigo
Autosleeper Warwick XL

i want to add more to the list but would like to know if anyone has anything 2 berth in the layout i require and what their thoughts on the quality are and which make it is. I can then hopefully go and add to my list.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think you're saying autosleeper are superior to most UK and German brands.. :Eeek: ...
Can't say as I've noticed that.
For us.. we would have a Rapido any day
That warwick xl does look nice though

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hel999
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2013
I think you're saying autosleeper are superior to most UK and German brands.. :Eeek: ...
Can't say as I've noticed that.
For us.. we would have a Rapido any day
That warwick xl does look nice though

no im not, i cant compare as i havent been in any German brands or many other UK brands to be honest. Im just going by what someone told me on a FB group. I was told that autosleeper build quality is one of the best in the UK and that i would notice the difference unless i chose a german build. i wont be judging any of them till ive tried them but just thought i'd see what everyone else thought of theirs to give me some ideas

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Autosleeper quality is very good, the PVC's are excellent. Though in my opinion their coachbuilts are ugly and completely devoid of style. Unless you really like that Ice Cream van look. But time passes and now when I see one I appreciate it much more, and would even go as far as saying I like them. They are a bit like classic cars, say the Morris 1100, I hated that shape as a kid, compared to Capri's, Consuls, Vauxhall Victors even the Ford Anglia the Morris was soo boring, I thought them really ugly at the time but now we see one restored and go aah.

That warning you got, was it from an Autosleeper owner ;) Don't discount some off the British marques, especially if they have the layout you want.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hel999
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2013
i would happily choose a German build if i could find the right layout :). i think they were trying to tell me that the German build quality is superior not the other way round.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No rear lounge but its British made and very well put together, only one minor fault on ours after two and a half years (staining on a panel) which they fixed for free a couple of weeks ago, well outside any normal warranty period.

It's a Murvi Morocco, can be a double or two singles in moments and has plenty of kitchen and loo space plus lots of space for lounging or whatever else you want to get up to.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hel999
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2013
Autosleeper quality is very good, the PVC's are excellent. Though in my opinion their coachbuilts are ugly and completely devoid of style. Unless you really like that Ice Cream van look. But time passes and now when I see one I appreciate it much more, and would even go as far as saying I like them. They are a bit like classic cars, say the Morris 1100, I hated that shape as a kid, compared to Capri's, Consuls, Vauxhall Victors even the Ford Anglia the Morris was soo boring, I thought them really ugly at the time but now we see one restored and go aah.

That warning you got, was it from an Autosleeper owner ;) Don't discount some off the British marques, especially if they have the layout you want.

Im not sure who it was from. This is precisely why i started this thread, as i dont want to discount other British Marques just on someone elses advice. I like to do much more research and asking what everyone has and their thoughts on here is just part of that.

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I think in our opinion the German brands do have the edge but we also used to have an Autotrail which was a great motorhome.i think you get good and bad in every make.as some have said layout is crucial.
Brian & Jo

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to be honest, I wouldn't buy a swift or autotrail for my own use, the build quality is beyond appalling and to make it worse customer service is an alien concept to the companies

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
to be honest, I wouldn't buy a swift or autotrail for my own use, the build quality is beyond appalling and to make it worse customer service is an alien concept to the companies

Everything depends of the supplying dealer, we dont have any problems with Autotrail, we just try and make sure that when they leave us they are as they should be.

The same as any van we supply, whatever make, new or pre-owned although we dont have a crystal ball unfortunately

Peter

Peter

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I agree that the quality of the dealer makes a huge difference in getting issues sorted, but still they are poor quality and badly finished. Dont hold it against you either that you speak out to protect the brand you sell. your dealership is one of the very best for customer service, but the manufacturers could learn a lot from you

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
From personal experience, Autotrail has by far "The"! worst attitude to its users "Bar none"! of any company i have ever come across.

I have always said when i was in business; " Sh** happens; it is how effectively you deal with that is what counts"

Upvote 0

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
We have been very happy with our Bently Indigo, the finish is one of the best we saw when we were looking at the time and we looked at loads of vans for years before we came across ours new from the makers son Richard Bentley as he was on a stand at Newark in 2012.
If you type into Google "Bentley Indigo video review" then look at caravanchannel.co.uk I think you will get a fully independant
video review.
We are near to Bridlington and are in the process of advertising ours for sale both on this club site and in the MMM magazine should you be serious please contact us. Our next outing is at Yarndale wool festival at Skipton or if you want to just look come and see for yourself.
Kindest regards
Atlantisbird
Ann & Harry

Upvote 0

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Hello Hel999,
I have just seen that you are a new member to the club and would like to say welcome and hope you will enjoy all that this club offers and maybe we will meet up at one of our meets in the future.
Ann & Harry
Atlantisbird

Upvote 0

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997

Our Swift Bolero must have slipped through the net then, it has been very reliable for nearly 4 years with only minor niggles.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hel999
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2013
Thankyou guys for all your answers. I guess it means there are good and bad in all brands then lol. Cant wait for Shepton show so i can try a load out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hel999
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2013
We have been very happy with our Bently Indigo, the finish is one of the best we saw when we were looking at the time and we looked at loads of vans for years before we came across ours new from the makers son Richard Bentley as he was on a stand at Newark in 2012.
If you type into Google "Bentley Indigo video review" then look at caravanchannel.co.uk I think you will get a fully independant
video review.
We are near to Bridlington and are in the process of advertising ours for sale both on this club site and in the MMM magazine should you be serious please contact us. Our next outing is at Yarndale wool festival at Skipton or if you want to just look come and see for yourself.
Kindest regards
Atlantisbird
Ann & Harry

Hi, and thankyou for such a welcome. The Indigo we were looking at was slightly lower in price but discussions were only over the internet so far so we would certainly be interested in having a look at one as i havent yet seen one in the flesh. I am hoping that it will be a case of, 'I step in the van and just know this is the one'. I also need to sell ours first if I decide to buy privately and i cant do that until we come back from our 2 week break which starts this weekend. I darent even put it up for sale yet as i suspect it will generate some interest and i will be too scared to use it then lol.

We are looking to spend somewhere in the region of 25k to 40k so yours is within that budget. I have watched all the review videos and love all the extra attention to detail that Bentley Motorhomes did such as the table store, TV store and moving shower cubicle. We are only in Huddersfield so not far from you, i will be in touch once we return from this trip (unless hubby sees something he absolutely must have while we are away)
many thanks,
Helen

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We love our Chausson and found the build quality to be excellent even though it is classed as a budget van. I wouldn't dismiss a manufacturer until you have viewed them.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

We've owned a few British marques; a New Swift (Bessacar E495) and a new Autotrail (Arapaho) Plenty of second hand too Kontiki and a Pullman. Maybe we wer lucky, but I never had a single problem and at the price, the build quality was superb.

Go on to German forums/facebook and see the slating that some of their motorhomes get. Same for French and Italian.

Most heavy forum users have totally skewed quality opinions as generally people only take to forums if they have a problem. The other 99% are away happy in their van with no complaint at all.

Upvote 0

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Hi, and thankyou for such a welcome. The Indigo we were looking at was slightly lower in price but discussions were only over the internet so far so we would certainly be interested in having a look at one as i havent yet seen one in the flesh. I am hoping that it will be a case of, 'I step in the van and just know this is the one'. I also need to sell ours first if I decide to buy privately and i cant do that until we come back from our 2 week break which starts this weekend. I darent even put it up for sale yet as i suspect it will generate some interest and i will be too scared to use it then lol.

We are looking to spend somewhere in the region of 25k to 40k so yours is within that budget. I have watched all the review videos and love all the extra attention to detail that Bentley Motorhomes did such as the table store, TV store and moving shower cubicle. We are only in Huddersfield so not far from you, i will be in touch once we return from this trip (unless hubby sees something he absolutely must have while we are away)
many thanks,
Helen

Hello Helen,
Glad you have had a chance to look at the video which speaks for itself it shows more than can be seen with photos and the guy explains it very well.
The extras we added to ours have made it even more comfortable and when we go out in our Indigo we are completely self sufficient with both solar and an underslung gas tank which even in the coldest weathers like Funsters meets at New Year at Uttoxiter racecourse and Easter at Chester racecourse it was very warm and snug.
Our family live in New Zealand and we are doing a house swap next year for a few months so we will not be able to use it very much hence our decision to advertise it now.
You are welcome to have a good look round our van anytime we are at home. Send us a PM (personal message) if you want to arrange a visit.
Kindest regards,
Ann & Harry
Atlantisbird

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I don't believe any marque is worse than any other in build quality.
They are all crap!

What swings it for us is that Brit vans don't work in the cold so we won't have one!

Upvote 0

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Another Swift Bolero that must have slipped through! Approaching 3 years and still delighted!
Cheers
Bernie(y)

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

Ice cream vans, love that, and some of the older ones do. The newer vans are much more conventional looking and we get many compliments on ours.
Best advice is to look at as many different models as you can and form your own opinion. You can tell which are the cheaply made ones, which ones look good after a few years use and those that need modifications to work properly. I agree with others that British vans aren't generally built for cold weather, but before I insulated and heated the water tanks in mine we stayed nice and warm in -10 and the water still ran as it should even though the service point a few metres away had frozen solid.
Autosleeper in my view are good solid well built vans, most of the other makes are too.

Reactions: Jim
Upvote 0

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
I have an auto sleeper Warwick .its a compromise because I want a smallish van,and have been spoilt with a Concorde Charrisma!!:frowny:

Love the long seats love the tinted windows,,plus plenty of cupboard space , I also like the fact it only needs servicing every two years,bathroom a bit small but how long do you spend in there!! I don,t like the fact of not being able to stop the water discharge in cold weather,and I don,t like having to disconnect gas by crawling underneath,fridge is not automatic!!!and would have liked a larger freezer compartment!! But you have to compremise some were.

I am going to have alterations ,hoping to make easy access to under the seating storage space via the back doors,also table is useless,taking away the fixed small table and connecting the larger table minus a leg to that connection.which should work??? The passenger seat,now swivels .

I enjoy driving this van,get good mileage ,and it is fairly solid in high winds.:h:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back