All the Aires...... North and South ?? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We are going back to France in a week or two and have 'All the Aires Edition 4'

If anyone has the more recent edition can you tell me please if it warrants buying (compared to what I have)?

Vicarious mention 600 new aires since edition 3 ....... but compared to edition 4 is there really much difference?

Many thanks

Grahame

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There is quite a lot more in it than the third, which we had but if you have enough in the fourth edition I wouldn't bother , probably be a new one soon.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Oh well, if we are getting into apps again, this is the one park4night, but that wasn't the question:)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Yep I know but you can get free D/L pdf format for offline reading etc saves money and up to date ,more beer money :)

Shazzy44

Free Member
Jul 28, 2013
Leigh lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are in France now using Edition 4..managed fine with it although the prices have done increased slightly ...enjoy your journey, currently lovely weather in the Vendee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks guys :)

(call me old fashioned but I prefer the Aires book............. English and always 'on' with no data fees :D)

Same here and the book doesn't fail when your in the middle of nowhere after driving all day either.
Just got North n South books this year usually update every 3rd year.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are launching ourselves at the unsuspecting locals armed only with edition 4 in a couple of days but I also have campercontact on the tablet. These should be enough I hope!

But thanks for letting me know there is an Edition 5, though I can't help thinking Vicarious missed a trick not telling me as I might have been tempted to buy it, too late now.:)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
The North and South books are bigger than the previous single edition- A4 size. Small thing I know but it means they won't go in our van book shelf. I can't compare numbers as we gave someone the old one but it seems to me that there are a lot more in the latest edition and the layout makes it easier to find what you want as all the aires in one area are altogether. You do have to make sure, when you are on the border, that you have the right book to hand. There is a large scale separate folding map as well as a fold out one attached to the book itself.

I think it is an improvement on the older one. I use various internet sites at home before we go and possibly when we are pitched up in the evening but much prefer the books when we are actually on the road

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Buy them. We are on a fantastic aire tonight not in the book.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you have an android device, there's nothing to touch this app
Broken Link Removed
Works without wifi or phone signal , just kick it up and it tells you where the nearest aires are to where you are and then directs you to the gate.

Shazzy44

Free Member
Jul 28, 2013
Leigh lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Downloaded the app as recommended by @chaser ..it's fab..used a couple of aires from it that aren't in edition4. .only thing it's missing is prices but currently on aire in St Jean de Monts €8.50 Inc water + electric, 2 mins walk to beach +centre. .worth the £1.19, thanks for the tip

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Downloaded the app as recommended by @chaser ..it's fab..used a couple of aires from it that aren't in edition4. .only thing it's missing is prices but currently on aire in St Jean de Monts €8.50 Inc water + electric, 2 mins walk to beach +centre. .worth the £1.19, thanks for the tip
Yeah we have used it for three years now, never been without an aire, and another thing about it, you can install it on as many android devices you like without paying for it again(y):)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just closing this one up.

I gave in to my demons and bought 'North and South'. Ordered Sunday, despatched Monday, arrived today (Thanks Vicarious, excellent service as usual (y))

I like the look and layout of the new books and being able to 'thumb thru' the pages. This will be my primary Aires guide backed up by the other stuff....

£25 well spent as far as I am concerned(y)

Thanks every one for your input:)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We are going back to France in a week or two and have 'All the Aires Edition 4'

If anyone has the more recent edition can you tell me please if it warrants buying (compared to what I have)?

Vicarious mention 600 new aires since edition 3 ....... but compared to edition 4 is there really much difference?

Many thanks

Grahame
Campercontact is our source of info in France, together with France Passion
We do have 'all the aires' book but much prefer apps to books where possible

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have edition 4 ( now almost completely fallen apart) and the new 2 part books. Don't like the new ones, some silly comments in there and if you are in Pays de la Loire, you have to keep swapping between books. We also found many aires closed or moved that were in the new book. Its not really any more up to date than edition 4.

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I have read somewhere else apart from this forum about France Passion. Can anyone tell me where to buy the book from please? Sounds good.
Thanks

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Nothing, in my most humble of opinions beats being able to sit down with an extra specially enormous glass of my favourite tonsil tonic whilst slowly turning over the pages of my tour guides along with a large scale map showing contours, so that I can truly imagine what I am reading about.
Somehow for me, these fandangled electronic gadgets just don't hold the dimmest of candles to the visionary excitement that some darned good ink on paper and a glass or two of your favourite can bring to holiday planning!!

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We bought the latest North and South version of All the Aires. We have all the technology - smart phones, ipad, android tablet, laptop etc but for us its all part of the fun to thumb through the book. Its very well printed and has all the information you need.

If you were going to go to France just the once (is that possible?) for a couple of weeks holiday then its probably not worth the expense of buying the book. Many motorhomers love visiting France several times a year so its well worth spending the £25.

Paul

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
For the info of all here, I've just fired off an Email to Vicarious on the subject of their "All the Spanish (and Portugese) Aires.
They (Vicarious) have stated in the 'blurb' that they have included over 100 'New' Spanish Aires and so many Portugese 'New' Aires but they don't state, as is normal, how many Aires there are in total in the book.
Only by knowing how many Aires in total are in the book can comparison be made with other publications.
And as a related subject, can someone explain to me why someone would buy the France All the Aires on Fleabay for £29.99 when you can buy it from Vicarious for a Fiver less.
I know I'm a Tyke with a Scottish mother and proud to have long pockets and short arms but some decisions made by punters really baffle me.

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Nothing, in my most humble of opinions beats being able to sit down with an extra specially enormous glass of my favourite tonsil tonic whilst slowly turning over the pages of my tour guides along with a large scale map showing contours, so that I can truly imagine what I am reading about.
Somehow for me, these fandangled electronic gadgets just don't hold the dimmest of candles to the visionary excitement that some darned good ink on paper and a glass or two of your favourite can bring to holiday planning!!

Spot on and when you're in the middle of nowhere its wet and dark and miserable and you just want to park up for the night you can virtually guarantee your fancy electronic gadget will let you down. :)
Been there done it got the scars.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just received my request for info re their Spanish/Portugese Aires book,

There are 449 Aires in total, 316 in Spain and 133 in Portugal.

Hope that helps,

The Vicarious Books Team

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
I know I'm a Tyke with a Scottish mother and proud to have long pockets and short arms but some decisions made by punters really baffle me.

Exactly, and I suffer from the same problem, i.e. Scottish blood, short arms and exceptionally deep pockets........ People must be bonkers to buy these books of fleeBay when you can buy them for less from the publisher!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back