Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Never going to work as needs 1666 votes a month or 53 a day!!!! before it runs out in Feb 2016.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It must have been written by a Funster - lots of grammatical errors in it. :):):)

But more than halfway to the first thousand, so perhaps it will take off, but I fear there just aren't enough MH owners around to make it fly, so to speak. If that isn't too many clichés.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Lots of talk, but very few will do more than that and even fewer will get involved.

The only way I can see forward is self help. No one is going to provide Aires they need to be worked for and a demand proved.

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
We are on the Hawick Aire tonight. Have also used the one in Canterbury..

Our tactic is to write to the local council after our visit, praising them to the skies in the hope that some positive feedback will add a little when local government people network with others in the sector who may think it's a possibility.

Kudos to Kent and Borders Councils.

Dave

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We are on the Hawick Aire tonight. Have also used the one in Canterbury..

Our tactic is to write to the local council after our visit, praising them to the skies in the hope that some positive feedback will add a little when local government people network with others in the sector who may think it's a possibility.

Kudos to Kent and Borders Councils.

Dave
Great to see that you make the effort but just a small point, make sure you praise the correct council :)
New Dover Road is Canterbury City Council not Kent County Council :)

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
100,000 signatures needed to force a debate. In 2010 there were 170,000 motorhomes registered in UK. You will never get enough signatures on one of these petitions. There have been several before, all failed. Better to contact your MP, or find out which MP's are motorhomers or even caravanners and lobby them.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Have you all signed the petition then?
Everyone's put a downer on it with their comments of it not going to work or what we should do, but nobody's said they've signed it.
Just wondered.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Why do you think they put a 100,000 signatures needed?? because they KNOW it's never going to happen.
If people in the UK cannot be BOTHERED to support Ex Service personnel petition's there is not a change in hell of this one getting to a debate.
Then you have the likes of the CCC Club and CC Club WHO will never allow it................. That's why so many go into EU with their MH's from the UK to SPEND their UK money in another country................ SAD.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
100,000 signatures needed to force a debate. In 2010 there were 170,000 motorhomes registered in UK. You will never get enough signatures on one of these petitions. There have been several before, all failed. Better to contact your MP, or find out which MP's are motorhomers or even caravanners and lobby them.
Contacting an MP is unlikely to work either because the legislation which allows local authorities to create caravan sites (which is what aires are in UK law) is already in place - 1960 Act, Sch 1, Para 11 - so it doesn't come within the MP's remit.
All an MP could do would be to write/speak to local councillors and that might have some small effect if the MP's party happened to be in control of the council. In reality that would be far less than one or more motorhomers and taking a reasoned case to their local council.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Then you have the likes of the CCC Club and CC Club WHO will never allow it.
That's a red herring. How would they stop it, other than to object when planning consent were sought? What valid objections could they have to small sites for motorhomes only near town/village centres?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
That's a red herring. How would they stop it, other than to object when planning consent were sought? What valid objections could they have to small sites for motorhomes only near town/village centres?
They would fight tooth and nail if they thought they could loose business by a MH parking up in a small site in / near / close to their sites - Of course they would use the Planning consent card as they already have sites in / near / close to town / village .......................
SO NOT a red herring, sorry

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
If only there were more like you ( I thank you, as would love to park up in an aire in the UK for the same costs as I do in France/Germany/Spain/Portugal )
Only another 9175 to go and government "will respond to this petition" or 99175 left to be considered for "debate in Parliament" by 5 Feb 2016

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Signed,commen sense says if you don,t at least try!!!!

I live in Deal, 9 miles from Dover,this little town is on the map for wild camping specially with the Germans who love our 3 castles,locals complain,????.
We have a perfectly good piece of land that would make a good airs,bring a bit of money into the town,stop locals moaning about large campers parked in the road,leaving rubbish behind!!!!

So yes I have signed.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Also signed.
I feel if you don't try we will all get nowhere. No harm in giving it a go (y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I will also use common sense and sign up for the Euromillions draw as I have more of a chance of winning that. If I do win I will buy land across the UK and offer free parking for ALL MHF members

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
They would fight tooth and nail if they thought they could loose business by a MH parking up in a small site in / near / close to their sites - Of course they would use the Planning consent card as they already have sites in / near / close to town / village .......................
SO NOT a red herring, sorry
The point is that most CC/C&CC sites re out of town, which is an argument for the "need" for aires. Aires would not be "in / near / close to their sites".

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Signed,commen sense says if you don,t at least try!!!!

I live in Deal, 9 miles from Dover,this little town is on the map for wild camping specially with the Germans who love our 3 castles,locals complain,????.
We have a perfectly good piece of land that would make a good airs,bring a bit of money into the town,stop locals moaning about large campers parked in the road,leaving rubbish behind!!!!

So yes I have signed.
Is the land owned by the council?
If it is why not approach them (your local councillor, chief exec, leader, tourism director) with an argument as to why it would be beneficial to the town to use the land for an aire?

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
I live in Deal,so it does not bother me,but I hate to see Campervaners get slagged off, it's a not in my backyard syndrome.

Just think it is sad we do not adopt the French way,the CC and camping clubs will present a strong lobby for no airs,taking money away from them, I try my best not to have to use there sites,as they are not only a rip off,not many are in a place that I prefer.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I live in Deal,so it does not bother me,but I hate to see Campervaners get slagged off, it's a not in my backyard syndrome.

Just think it is sad we do not adopt the French way,the CC and camping clubs will present a strong lobby for no airs,taking money away from them, I try my best not to have to use there sites,as they are not only a rip off,not many are in a place that I prefer.
Let's just play the Devil's Advocate for a minute. There are lots of examples of us not adopting the French way - language, currency and legal system being the most obvious examples. Why should we adopt the French way where aires are concerned just because a tiny percentage of the population wants it? As was pointed out on Broken Link Removed, only 4 out of 28 countries have aires. Isn't that an argument for them adopting the majority practice rather than the other way round?

As regards CC and C&CC site prices and locations, nobody needs to pay them. As I mentioned here, yesterday, we've averaged under a tenner a night on our trips this year and in convenient locations. That, to a large extent, is because of the C&CC and the meets/THSs they organise.
Lots of talk, but very few will do more than that and even fewer will get involved.

The only way I can see forward is self help. No one is going to provide Aires they need to be worked for and a demand proved.
John is absolutely right. There is only one way to make progress and that is for people to put in effort. Petitions like this one are a waste of time.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
4 countries,!!!! Sweden,Denmark,Germany,Austria, France,Spain,Portugal, NZ,Australier,America ,Morroco,Italy,might go by other names not airs,example NZ DOC sites!!!!,Morroco except the fact that they don,t have places,so open places,send trucks for waste,fresh water.
If I rack my brain ,I could think of a few more places,depends on local bylaws.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
4 countries,!!!! Sweden,Denmark,Germany,Austria, France,Spain,Portugal, NZ,Australier,America ,Morroco,Italy,might go by other names not airs,example NZ DOC sites!!!!,Morroco except the fact that they don,t have places,so open places,send trucks for waste,fresh water.
If I rack my brain ,I could think of a few more places,depends on local bylaws.
From the petition wording "Spain, France, Portugal and Germany have these Aires or Stellenplatz,only the UK does not". Even if Sweden, Denmark and Austria are added to the list that is still only 25% of EU countries so the principle still applies - and I did say I was playing the Devil's Advocate :)

The main point, though, is in the last two sentences of my previous post. If anyone would like to prove me wrong I will welcome that - but I've been saying that for years and still waiting.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A great example on this thread of why there aren't many aire type stopovers in this country.

Someone has identified a site as potentially ideal but won't make the next step of contacting the relevant local authority to see what their position would be.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Nic Nic says the the man who doesn't,t do rallies,but comments on them:clap2::clap2:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nic Nic says the the man who doesn't,t do rallies,but comments on them:clap2::clap2:

What have rallies got to do with aires or stopovers?

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
A great example on this thread of why there aren't many aire type stopovers in this country.

Someone has identified a site as potentially ideal but won't make the next step of contacting the relevant local authority to see what their position would be.

What has it got to do with you???:reel:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What has it got to do with you???:reel:

yawning-smiley-face.png

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Why would MP want to stop at an Aire. When the can stay at a five star site and then claim it on expense,s,s

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back