Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I applied for the upgrade, windows tested my system and said ok. Weeks later the upgrade became available. I tried to download it twice and the system crashed. I forgot all about it, 2 weeks later problems started window put in the bottom left of the screen
window 7
build 7601
this copy of windows is not genuine

every now and then it requests I sort it out online, now the last time I had this problem microsoft shut my computer down. When I eventually got them on the phone they explained the licence had been used too many times. Not down to me or anything I had done, it was software installed from new by the manufacturers. I am now very wary of trying to sort it online. Downloading software from manufactures sites, free downloads mind not pirated copies and windows now tells me I am not licenced to do so. I noticed earlier people saying microsoft were planning to police the computers via this "upgrade", I can now see it causing massive problems. So beware before you go down the upgrade route.

Reactions: DBK

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Verification of genuine copies of Windows is not something new with Windows 10. I thought it came in with XP, it's certainly several years old. If your machine is from one of the mainstream manufacturers there shouldn't be a problem but if it is from a small builder then they might have (perhaps inadvertently) installed more copies than they had paid for. If that is the case then the builder who installed the copy of Windows should sort it out for you.

As regards Windows 10 upgrades in general, I have run it on 5 machines (3 Windows 8.1, 1 Windows 7 64 bit and 1 Windows 7 32 bit). A couple of minor glitches which I soon sorted out but all are working fine.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Only reason I went to 8 was because Microsoft threatened to shut me down when I was running a crack copy of XP-supplied by a small builder.
Now I'm running 10 on 2 machines and it seems to be getting better with every update.
Carolyn,however would not persevere and has had it removed from hers.
I don't touch her laptop cos we have differences of opinion about what is important :eek:
She got a Trojan on IE and her solution was to use Chrome, and leave IE as it was.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I understood they verified a genuine windows install when you first applied for the update. Not on the install itself. My update failed for reasons unknown according to Microsoft, it allowed me to try twice. Leading them to challange the validity of my software when in fact it was probably a disk error or coms error as the internet has been crap here since they started messing about with the exchange.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't help with the Windows 10 problems but it sounds as if your Win 7 has what is known as an OEM copy of the software. I have this on mine and it has upgraded to Windows 10 without a hitch but there are limitations on OEM which it is possible you have reached. For example, you can add more memory and hard disks but not much more. OEM software is meant to be installed on a new build PC and it then can't be used on another PC, even if your first PC blew up and you wanted to replace it. You would have to buy another copy of Windows.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The process is documented Here. Microsoft should be able to isolate coms/disk errors by identifying that you are still running the validated copy of Windows on the same hardware.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
whatever that cause I now have nag screens all over the place. Time for a new computer with update turned off and to hell with it.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have been downloading updates for months, something which according to Msoft requires a validity check quote
"The genuine, or validation, check is performed when your computer attempts to download optional updates from Microsoft. For example, when your computer downloads updates, Windows checks to see if your product key is valid. If it is, Windows on your computer is genuine, and you're eligible to receive the latest updates from Microsoft. If it's not, your computer is running non-genuine Windows."
for some reason, bad sectors or whatever they have suddenly decided it is not genuine. It is not on.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have been downloading updates for months, something which according to Msoft requires a validity check quote
"The genuine, or validation, check is performed when your computer attempts to download optional updates from Microsoft. For example, when your computer downloads updates, Windows checks to see if your product key is valid. If it is, Windows on your computer is genuine, and you're eligible to receive the latest updates from Microsoft. If it's not, your computer is running non-genuine Windows."
for some reason, bad sectors or whatever they have suddenly decided it is not genuine. It is not on.
I would e-mail Microsoft bosses:
CEO - Mr Satya Nadella CEO Email satyan@microsoft.com
Microsoft UK Consumer Channels - Mr Mark Loughran General Manager Email Mark.Loughran@microsoft.com
with a complain and explain what has happened to get them to sort it out.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The only problem that I've noticed so far is that Microsoft Publisher doesn't work. Then I remembered this was a copy I "borrowed" off a mate years ago so it seems the "policing" does work!. No matter, there are other programmes out there.

Other than that been quite happy with upgrade.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I would e-mail Microsoft bosses:
CEO - Mr Satya Nadella CEO Email satyan@microsoft.com
Microsoft UK Consumer Channels - Mr Mark Loughran General Manager Email Mark.Loughran@microsoft.com
with a complain and explain what has happened to get them to sort it out.
see new thread no fool like an old fool, in a few mins

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back