New plans to overhaul driving tests, including changing the age and using satnavs (1 Viewer)

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
The Telegraph

New plans to overhaul the driving test are being drawn up which could see the age limit raised and part of the test using satnavs.

The Department of Transport is drawing up a consultation to help increase the pass rate which include a controversial part-privatisation of the practical examination.

It could see the closure of test centres, job losses at motor agencies and fees for services such as personalised number plates increased, according to the Independent on Sunday.

According to the paper the document states: “We will also consider how we might meet continued strong customer demand for the practical driving test, through exploring partnerships with other organisations. This might include

operating from a range of different sites, or delivering some elements of the test through partners.”

Another proposals is raising the age at which drivers must declare that they are fit to drive from 70 to 75.

The paper reports the consultation will form the basis of next year’s formal strategy on the future of the country’s three motoring agencies – the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), the Driver and

Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and the Vehicle Certification Authority (VCA).

Presently the pass rate for learner drivers is under 50 per cent and the plans could see more tests being made available on evenings and weekends.

It is presently piloting an examination that asks learners to follow satnav directions for 20 minutes.

If the trial is successful, it could be the biggest shake up of the test since the written theory exam was introduced in 1996.

The changes, proposed by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, could see the three-point turn and reversing round a corner scrapped.

These will be replaced with more commonplace manoeuvres such as reversing out of a parking bay.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well having just sat in a classroom for five seven hour days to gain my CPC I know for a fact that every LGV driving test centre in the country has been closed and run out of private driver training premises. As for only 50% pass rate that seems very high considering the way a lot of new drivers drive. Sat navs, what about being able to hold a phone to their ears or texting, most could do with some training on that to cut the amount of fatal accidents on our roads! :whistle:

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Next they'll be scrapping the examiner in the passenger seat and replacing them with a pre set route in the sat nav with driver habits collected and downloaded from the black box recorder!
It's a shame that government departments never look at privatising Whitehall.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
It is presently piloting an examination that asks learners to follow satnav directions for 20 minutes.
Probably saves money by cutting out the examiner ... if the driver returns to base in one piece then they pass .... if they get lost and are never seen again it's a fail!;)

Hope they bring the 75 age qualification soon.(y)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I do hope they do raise the test age. 17 is way to young to be responsible for a driving a car IMHO. And certainly a bike like power graduation should be a minimum too. But certainly sounds like some action is being taken. The test age should be raised to 20 IMHO and any major infringements means an automatic year or more ban. We need to move from seeing driving as a right to a privilage.o_O

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It would make the roads far safer if you had to pass a motorcycle test before getting a car licence.
Air bags, ABS and the like make drivers feel invincible. When this is added to the modern engines that give 100hp from a 1 litre, they can drive well in excess of their ability.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I agree with some of it, I do not see the point of increasing the pass rate as standards need to rise, raising the medical declaration to 75 is stupid, I believe everyone should have a medical at 70(at their own expense) to stop people being economical with their ailments and compulsory reassessments at 75. And before you ask I'm 73 and have just passed my Medical.:whistle::whistle:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Does this mean that they will make satnav compulsory? Otherwise what is the point of making someone pass a test on something that they can choose never to use or even have on their vehicle?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If they lower the age to get older drivers off the road a lot of hgv drivers will be getting early retirement instead of having to work till 67 as it is for a lot now. Also it does seem funny that one minute they deemed fit to drive 44 tons then the next minute not fit to drive at all. If the retirement age is being raised so must everything else.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Bad move. The age should be lowered to 60 with a compulsory re test every year.

Great - where are they going to magic all these examiners from - they cannot cope with the demand at present

:whistle::reel::roflmto:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
If they lower the age to get older drivers off the road a lot of hgv drivers will be getting early retirement instead of having to work till 67 as it is for a lot now. Also it does seem funny that one minute they deemed fit to drive 44 tons then the next minute not fit to drive at all. If the retirement age is being raised so must everything else.
HGV Drivers should be able to drive as long as they want as everyone else but no one should drive if their medical condition is such they are a danger on the road no matter what age they are. The reassessment driving tests would be at their own expense no exceptions and separate to the other driving tests

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
Talking of learning and re-testing whatever the outcome, IMHO it should encompass a simulator beforehand as an indicator of a level of competence.
Despite having a full motorcycle licence, quite rightly I had to do time in a simulator before the RAF let me loose onto the nursery area in a car, (Moggy 1000 Traveller), in 1974. I also had to suffer on a skidpan to learn about both lack of , and regaining control of a vehicle. It was quite a good experience in the `sim` and on the `pan` although I did feel queasy when I was a passenger in the back. I know also that my experience in riding my motorbike helped with awareness of surroundings.
Driving in Lincolnshire nowadays isn`t for the faint hearted or those who are unaware of their surroundings given increasing casualties this year.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I do hope they do raise the test age. 17 is way to young to be responsible for a driving a car IMHO. And certainly a bike like power graduation should be a minimum too. But certainly sounds like some action is being taken. The test age should be raised to 20 IMHO and any major infringements means an automatic year or more ban. We need to move from seeing driving as a right to a privilage.o_O
That would prevent most under 20s from working.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
That would prevent most under 20s from working.
No they would learn to use public transport and not mommy's and daddys car and bank account.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The test age should be raised to 20 IMHO and any major infringements means an automatic year or more ban. We need to move from seeing driving as a right to a privilage.o_O

It would make life for young people in isolated rural areas even more difficult. A scooter isn't the answer with our hills /narrow roads etc. Daughter had a scooter and was swiped off it by a cattle truck - which didn't stop.

I agree with the infringement = ban though.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
No they would learn to use public transport and not mommy's and daddys car and bank account.
What public transport? Not even school transport here once you are over 16. 4 miles to nearest bus route (bus doesn't go within 12 miles of the school). 8 mile walk to school along narrow but busy "B" road with no footpath.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
What public transport? Not even school transport here once you are over 16. 4 miles to nearest bus route (bus doesn't go within 12 miles of the school). 8 mile walk to school along narrow but busy "B" road with no footpath.
Well in that case the adjustments would have to be made, and rural living would either be complex or unworkable. As it is I hope the government has the balls to put the age up to 18. Unfortunately far to many 17 year old kids have regularly killed and maimed other road users and their peers right is hopefully being withdrawn as a consequence of that.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I think rather than increasing the age to 20 before you can sit Your test, I think it would be better to insist on new drivers having a black box device. This would monitor your driving. If your Totally rubbish , your barred.
If your drivings not up to scratch , up the insurance.
If your good and safe, your insurance is lowered.
It's wrong to tar all young drivers with the same stick. Just like it is old age pensioners.
In fact I think they should have The black boxes for old people too. That way , driving teqnique is monitored Saving Having medicals.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Well in that case the adjustments would have to be made, and rural living would either be complex or unworkable.

There will not be public transport put on - the cost is far too high. The local FE college used to have a bus that picked up from places without public transport but had to scrap it due to cost.

Most people who live as far out as we do are working in rural industries including farming and forestry. Both vital industries so what is the solution? Farmers, farm and forestry workers all to be over 20 or not to have families?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Perhaps airbags and the like do give a false sense of security. Maybe airbags should be replaced with a six inch steel spike aimed at the driver. It would certainly focus the drivers mind on not crashing. For those of the hard of thinking, this is a joke.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
There will not be public transport put on - the cost is far too high. The local FE college used to have a bus that picked up from places without public transport but had to scrap it due to cost.

Most people who live as far out as we do are working in rural industries including farming and forestry. Both vital industries so what is the solution? Farmers, farm and forestry workers all to be over 20 or not to have families?
There are people who cant drive due to medical conditions and they have make do and make other arrangements. So hopefully soon will 17/18 year olds. As I said consistent accidents and injuries and deaths and general abuse of the privilage of driving caused by the 17-20 year old age group has meant even the government has had to make (or mute) this unpopular move raising the age to 18 with curfews etc.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
There are people who cant drive due to medical conditions and they have make do and make other arrangements. So hopefully soon will 17/18 year olds. As I said consistent accidents and injuries and deaths caused by the 17-20 year old age group has meant even the government has had to make (or mute) this unpopular move.

The people who don't drive for medical reasons use the wheels service at 45p per mile and with fixed(ish) pick up and drop of times - which are outwith school start and finish times (the wheels service uses the same drivers and vehicles that do the school runs). The school run service stops at age 16 which is why my daughter got a scooter and had the serious accident - not her fault, the at fault driver got a big fine and a ban). If you can't drive for medical reasons basically you have to move into town or you don't work.

The wheels service starts at 9.30 (ish) and ends at 11.30 (ish), then 1.30 to 2.30. Outpatients appointments are made so that wheels service people have priority. It's the way it is........

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
The people who don't drive for medical reasons use the wheels service at 45p per mile and with fixed pick up and drop of times - which are outwith school start and finish times (the wheels service uses the same drivers and vehicles that do the school runs). The school run service stops at age 16 which is why my daughter got a scooter and had the serious accident - not her fault, the at fault driver got a big fine and a ban). If you can't drive for medical reasons basically you have to move into town or you don't work.
I do understand the difficulty of rural living as I did it for 11 years. But I dont think location is a factor in injuring others whilst driving, age is, and sex is, it seems. But of course the govt can't just keep spotty testoterone filled 17 year old males off the road, it has to be a blanket policy.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Every one who wishes to drive should do 12 month on a small motorbike to learn road craft before getting into a car. Something that is lacking today. None of our 4 kids did anything on 2 wheels and after 20 years + driving only one shows any sign of road craft. I passed my bike test back in 66 and my car test at 67. We have driven in a vast amount of countries over the years and the UK drivers R the most inconciderate dont give a toss about anyone except themselves lot.

steve & ann. ............ teensvan

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Or maybe as in some states in the US where 15 year olds can drive on certain routes.... not saying 15 year olds here but maybe if they pass their test a 17 year old between specified points on approved routes at fixed times????

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
They have been making alterations to the Hgv licence aqusition for years, most have been for the better, including lowering the age from 21 to 18 we have trained many under 21's and they have taken the responsibility of driving a weapon very well, the DVSA have closed many test centers for Hgv licence acquisition and do intend to close more, this has put the cost of having a test centre on us the trainer, no small cost either it added £20k on our annual costs, not a bad thing in some ways it means along with all test centers our first time pass rates get published (I expect this year to be 80%) it stops other companies lying to customers who do their homework.

It never ceases to amaze me when we get a little older we forget being young, why put the age up from 17 I couldn't wait to be 17 and get my licence plus my first car was a 3.8 ltr mk11 Jag so not an Austin 7 by any means, was I crazy yes it's part of growing up, don't put the age up improve the quality of crap driving instructors, I would say from experience 25% of car instructors are good, then when passed for twelve months new drivers must display a green P and not allowed on motorways with a green P displayed, after 12months there is then advanced training which includes motorways and any other restrictions imposed on new drivers, putting the age up won't make better drivers, most of us don't grow up before 25 anyway, I think a driving licence is a right but a privilege to be allowed to keep and must be earnt by proving you deserve that privilege, this of course is a generalization, some will have old heads on young shoulders some will never grow up, the other problem with the test is you only need to achieve an average standard for a hour, then your let loose for the rest of your driving life, please don't blame trainees all the while, we must look at the standard of instructors as well, you wouldn't believe the lack of basic knowledge most car drivers we have in for training have, it makes me a much more cautious driver knowing they are out there and it's definately not age related.

Not a rant just observation of 20+years training.

Cheers Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back