Touring at Home vs Travelling in Abroad (1 Viewer)

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
I wonder what percentage of M/hmers travel accross the Pond, or prefer Europe, instead of touring at home. I know there are many reasons why some people don't travel abroad, worried about driving on the other side of the road, afraid of the language barrier, Euro currency, Medical reasons, not used to the Continental style of Aires, Stellplätze, having relatives nearby, afraid of leaving the home unattended, etc. My wife and I do both, although we prefer the Continent, for several reasons, i.e. more freedom of choice, cost of Sites, Aires , Wine and Fuel Prices, less regulations, not being stuck on a Campsite some 20 miles from anywhere interesting, not having to pay Hotel Prices, to be parked up in a field, in the middle of nowhere, being able to park up when and where you want, ( within reason ) and not being told, " Oi, you can't park here, or the dreaded " No Motorhomes", or "No overnight Parking"
I don't have a problem for paying at Aires or Camsites, it's just that I feel more at ease while travelling abroad. What are your preferences, and why ?

Last edited:

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Abroad, looked for and bought a LHD for exactly that.

Dick

Funny you should say that, when I bought my first MoHo, RHD was a "must", now "LHD" is a must.

It's complicated - easier to drive an unfamiliar vehicle on familiar roads than the other way around - but I definitely feel "away" when I need a phrase book...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
when you live in cornwall almost every where is abroad. mind its ok in wales and brittany and northern spain etc we all use a very similar language . its not english. ha ha .
mind in cornwall and wales we do drive on the right side .
the other side is the wrong side .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
NO stopping here, NO overnight parking, NO camping, 2.2m height limit, NO motorhomes, Use 2 parking bays - buy 2 tickets, Pitches £28 per night - electric extra, NO overnight parking - again!

NO CONTEST.
then you know the answer move.
its all about choices .
if you dont like where you are etc move .
doesnt matter if you fulltime or have a house .
take control . make decisions / then either put up with your choice or move ,make another one .
too many moan about where thety are their job etc but choose to stay in them .
we live in a country that allows you to make choices .
by the way might not be you in a personal way .
you might be the few that make the right choice.
but most dont.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We enjoyed and preferred being abroad so much we moved here.
I suppose then from our point of view going abroad to some extent means going to the UK . . . . Hate it! (oh, apart from seeing our girls and the grandchildren)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We do both, we have a month long holiday in summer, sadly that's just gone and we are back home to the lovely UK weather. We tour around Europe in that one. The rest of the year we troll around the UK using britstops mainly, but also CL's etc.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
New to the lifestyle, and the reason I got a MH was to explore this beautiful country (notwithstanding all the apparent hurdles we face)
I've just spent 5days in Yorkshire, 400 miles, BritStopping all the way - and it was awesome.

(No doubt I'll venture into Europe when I get bored of what the UK has to offer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
its all about choices .
take control . make decisions / then either put up with your choice or move ,make another one .
but most dont.

Difference is SUNSHINE...BUSBY.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Many of our friends think we never go to mainland Europe. thats been trueish for a few years now as we have been caring for elderly family. nothing lasts forever though and we are rapidly running out of reasons to keep us here

my argument though has been it takes longer to drive back from scotland than get on a ferry home from northern france, belgium etc looking forward to going back to germany and planning a trip up through russia at some point

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
NO stopping here, NO overnight parking, NO camping, 2.2m height limit, NO motorhomes, Use 2 parking bays - buy 2 tickets, Pitches £28 per night - electric extra, NO overnight parking - again!

NO CONTEST.

Never had any of those problems - so it's the UK for me.

Dave

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Abroad for us we have done so far
Holland Belgium France Spain Portugal morocco Germany Austria Switzerland Luxembourg Slovenia and we are now in Croatia
And will be Italy on our way home

With a mixture of wilding aires and campsites and some of the aires have been better equipped than some of the sites we have used
Most of the sites when you arrive just tell you to have a look around if you like it find a pitch then book in non of this crap about allocated parking you door must be facing this way just treat the site and other users with a bit of respect and keep it clean

We find we are welcomed in every country we have been in they are geared up for traveling tourists they want the cash it brings in to the local economy
Problem with UK is it's not geared up for motor homes and with the way it's growing it's going to get worse you try to one night stay on a UK site over a weekend in popular areas

Big change for us will be if we change our van it will be left hand drive next time

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I wonder what percentage of M/hmers travel accross the Pond, or prefer Europe, instead of touring at home

Enjoy BOTH for different reasons..

yes, it can be easier abroad and generally the weather is better, but there is nowhere abroad that can compare with wildness and scenery of Scotland or indeed many other parts of the UK.. Wales, The West Country, Yorkshire moors, the Lakes.. etc

We spent three weeks in France this summer and have just came back from a 10 day to Wales.. and frankly, I enjoyed the Wales trip every bit as much.. and looking forward touring Scotland again..

Every country, be it abroad or at home has it's attractions.. it's not a competition

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
its all about choices .
but most dont.

I was asked whether I prefer to motorhome in the UK or across the channel.
I answered that question.
I didn't ask for some smart arsed snotty snide comment like yours.
You don't know anything about me or about why I choose to live here so back off with your "advice"

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Another vote for abroad for us its so easy , we like aires rather than campsites.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I wonder what percentage of M/hmers travel accross the Pond, or prefer Europe, instead of touring at home. I know there are many reasons why some people don't travel abroad, worried about driving on the other side of the road, afraid of the language barrier, Euro currency, Medical reasons, not used to the Continental style of Aires, Stellplätze, having relatives nearby, afraid of leaving the home unattended, etc. My wife and I do both, although we prefer the Continent, for several reasons, i.e. more freedom of choice, cost of Sites, Aires , Wine and Fuel Prices, less regulations, not being stuck on a Campsite some 20 miles from anywhere interesting, not having to pay Hotel Prices, to be parked up in a field, in the middle of nowhere, being able to park up when and where you want, ( within reason ) and not being told, " Oi, you can't park here, or the dreaded " No Motorhomes", or "No overnight Parking"
I don't have a problem for paying at Aires or Camsites, it's just that I feel more at ease while travelling abroad. What are your preferences, and why ?

Abroad for all the reasons listed also always buy a LHD vehicle.
Use our van very little in the UK nowadays too expensive too much negative attitude towards motorhomes and the weather's shite.
Be on the chunnel tomorrow afternoon again.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We enjoy touring in both the UK and abroad, just been round Scotland again. Our problem is that Dover is 500 miles away.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
UK for us but only due to our circumstances.
Most trips are weekends or long weekends and occasional week at a time due to work and family commitments.
Reading a lot of the comments above, the Funsters are retired as the trips described are several weeks or even months at a time.
Hopefully at some point we will be in a position to see how good continental touring is but tbh that is unlikely to sometime soon.
I must say though that the UK has lots to offer that we like even with the issues already said about MH discrimination.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back