Bathroom wash basin in Hymer B644 2002 (1 Viewer)

goneroming

Free Member
Jan 31, 2014
Chester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
Replacement of bathroom wash basin in Hymer B644 2002

After finding that my bathroom wash basin had a crack that had been repaired I decided that I would replace it.
Because this is the second Hymer with a cracked wash basin I have had, it would be a good idea to find a alternative to a genuine Hymer one.

Went looking on google & found Caravan Panels Ltd. nr. Preston, they were very helpful & said via email. "Unfortunately we do not currently stock this sink, but could make me a new one by using the old one as a template" which would be stronger & made with fibre glass, with a lead time of 2-3 weeks. So out comes the sink & off I go to Preston, delivered the sink & waited & waited & waited, it`s now 6 weeks.

After many phone calls & e-mail that don`t get replied to, promises that don`t materialise from this company, I have now given up all hope of a sink from them. You deal with this company at your own risk!!!

Now ordered from Hymer, which I should have done in the beginning

Has anyone else had any dealings them, it would be interesting to know.

OP
OP
goneroming

goneroming

Free Member
Jan 31, 2014
Chester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Jim,
From Premier Motorhomes £123 that`s delivered

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I totally agree with @goneroming to steer clear of Caravan Panels Ltd.We have a TEC made by Hymer and like you needed a new sink as the old one had cracked round the plug hole.
At the recent Falkirk meet @Mags52 very kindly gave me two numbers of companies that made replacements.. One of them was Caravan panels which is only about 12 miles away so we decided to use them. Took the basin into them and was promised it would be ready in 2 weeks. No such luck and when I rang to see if it was ready all sorts of excuses including the water problem we have in Lancashhire at the moment. If he couldn't fulfil his promise he should never have offered to have it ready in 2 weeksWe went over to pick it up and I rang the other number Mags had given me GRP leisure in Derby who she had incidentally used.....Derek couldn't have been more helpful asking if I could email a picture to see if he had the mould ...he didn't but said if we posted the basin to him he would be able to turn one round in a week.
He emailed last Tuesday to say he had received it and that it would be ready to post back by beginning of this next week.
And his price is half what Caravan Panels wanted. I will put an update on when we receive it back.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
thanks.. not cheap, but less than I expected.. (y)
Derek has quoted me £65 for making one if that is of any help.
I believe the one Mags had done was about the same price a couple of years ago.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@davanne, I'd be interested to know how you fare with the replacement, as our vanity sink could do with replacing.

I hope you are pleased with the results when it arrives next week. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
@davanne, I'd be interested to know how you fare with the replacement, as our vanity sink could do with replacing.

I hope you are pleased with the results when it arrives next week. (y)

Cheers,

The one we had made by Derek was as good as new when we sold the van nearly two years later. It looked great. thoroughly recommend him.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Is this the same chap? Hope so as I have saved the link for future reference.
Broken Link Removed

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If only I could get my cracked basin out this company would be perfect...... as it is having to get it repaired in place

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
If only I could get my cracked basin out this company would be perfect...... as it is having to get it repaired in place
Max really struggled with ours but managed in the end and the only problem was a damaged reich pipe tail which we have replaced ready for the basin coming back.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Max really struggled with ours but managed in the end and the only problem was a damaged reich pipe tail which we have replaced ready for the basin coming back.

to get it out means more or less dissembling the whole bathroom...its crazy, but in a panel van space is tight. An in place fix it will have to be..... OK someone more capable could remove it but how much would that cost + the replacement sink on top. ( for a new globecar/Possl replacement I was quoted 400€ :()

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Out of interest, those with a cracked or broken basin, do you know how did it happened ?

Is it due to age and degrading of the plastic, or using chemicals to clean, accident, rough using, or what ?

Ours is 13 years old and looks like new.. , and as far as I can determine it's the original sink..

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Out of interest, those with a cracked or broken basin, do you know how did it happened ?

Is it due to age and degrading of the plastic, or using chemicals to clean, accident, rough using, or what ?

Ours is 13 years old and looks like new.. , and as far as I can determine it's the original sink..
I think ours was degrading of the plastic due to the sun...the previous owners spent 6 months away in Portugal each year and the roof light is directly above the basin and it had discoloured badly and the weakest point must have been round the plug hole as that was where it had cracked. The plastic did seem very brittle so hopefully the new Grp one will be much better and stronger.
However I think the use of household cleaners dosnt help I'm always very wary of what I use to clean ...also heard that mouth wash can cause a lot of damage.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Derek Justice GRP Leisure 07792607664 ......he is in Derby but we posted ours to him as he didn't have the mould.
thankyou

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

If yours has the swing-wall shower like ours Jim (and I think it does) the basin has a tendency to crack at the extreme left top edge where it is joined to the swing-wall. It cracks in the 90˚ angle between the flat top and the vertical flange that is attached to the wall. I have fixed mine with a small bead of Sikaflex (maybe 25mm long) to prevent it propagating any further and have no plans to replace it any time soon - hopefully.
Another place that fails due to age / UV degradation is the plastic clip on the right wall of the shower that holds the swing-wall shut. The first time I bought and fitted a new plastic panel containing the clip (usual Hymer spares prices) but when it went again I fixed a strip of spring steel to the back of the cracking clip with Sikaflex.

OP
OP
goneroming

goneroming

Free Member
Jan 31, 2014
Chester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
Yes I agree with davanne, its due to sunlight mostly, makes the plastic brittle also useing strong cleaners. GRP should be much better & stronger

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I think ours was degrading of the plastic due to the sun...the previous owners spent 6 months away in Portugal each year and the roof light is directly above the basin and it had discoloured badly and the weakest point must have been round the plug hole as that was where it had cracked. The plastic did seem very brittle so hopefully the new Grp one will be much better and stronger.
However I think the use of household cleaners dosnt help I'm always very wary of what I use to clean ...also heard that mouth wash can cause a lot of damage.

Sounds similar to the cracks around the plug of the bathroom sink on my 2004 B544.
Some weeks ago I obtained a 'repair kit' from Peter Hambilton for approx £18 that consists of a new trap and new larger outside diameter plug fitting which overlaps the crack.
The plug fitting and trap are bolted together by a long small diameter screw throught the plug hole fitting,

OP
OP
goneroming

goneroming

Free Member
Jan 31, 2014
Chester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
I spoke with Peter Hambilton who said the same thing, but it was no good for me as the crack was halfway up the basin side.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@ScotJimland. Ours isn't cracked Jim, however it is extremely discoloured and stained (almost yellow) up to a certain level, ie, a possible previous regular water level.
That's not down to Rita and I, as we use a small plastic basin, ie, less water usage. Bleaching the sink does make a difference temporarily, but that obviously had an adverse effect on the already damaged plastic.
I did get in touch with a firm who does the polyurethane coatings, but the cost was prohibitive, compared to the price quoted to others from the Derby link above for a replacement sink, and also dearer than someone above was quoted for a replacement from Hymer. :eek:

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back