Dartford Crossing Charge scam (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just a quick heads up because I know lots of us on here use the crossing.

I received an email this morning allegedly from:
donotreply@dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk

The email had an attachment that was supposed to be my payment receipt. My suspicions were aroused because I have never used the crossing, so I virus scanned the attachment, and what a surprise, it contains a very nasty virus.

Anyone receiving such an email should delete it immediately, and under no circumstances should you open the attachment.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks. haven't received anything yet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi, I also received the same email, deleted it straight away, new it had nothing to do with me.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for posting this, I got the email this morning and first thoughts were along the lines of it being a mix-up with my new "auto-peage" tag for the french tolls, but I received four copies of the email, with and without attachment, and the xls attachment seemed suspicious so I just binned them, nice to have it confirmed though!(y)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I had 2 in my spam folder. The real giveaway was the email address was not right. With Orange you will get an email if the part after the @ is correct no matter what the bit in front says. That confused me for quite some time but Orange confirmed it to be true when I asked them.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
This is worrying as we do have an account and use the crossing fairly frequently.
OH usually opens emails on her ipad. Supposedly Apple is quite secure?
Not sure how we can tell between genuine dart charge emails and the fake?

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
This is worrying as we do have an account and use the crossing fairly frequently.
OH usually opens emails on her ipad. Supposedly Apple is quite secure?
Not sure how we can tell between genuine dart charge emails and the fake?
Dart charge are extremely unlikely to send you an email with an attachment, and if they did, it would not be an excel spreadsheet!

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
If I ever get an email purportedly from a company I do or have dealt with and I'm not too sure then I go direct to their website not via any link on an email. Most will have a section that is for messages sent to you.
But the number of the scam ones I get that as I said have got the first part of the address wrong is amazing.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
OH has looked back through her emails. She has genuine ones but the last one on 17 august had the wrong address as above. It did not have an excel spreadsheet attached but did have a link to dart charge. She cant remember if she opened it or not
She did use ipad and not aware of any problems. Although she has been unsubscribing from american originated junk marketing too.
Now the junk emails are coming as if from friends on her email list
Not sure if this means her BT email is compromised or her IPAD. Her googlemail emails on her IPAD are fine and its to that address that her dart charge emails go.
Neither of us are technically minded

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have got this one .
donotreply@dart-charge.co.uk
This is a perfectly valid site and gave me my vehicle details and the crossing times I had and also that I had had the new payment made by the bank to top up the account. Seems legit to me there were two and they are both OK. one was details of use the other the charges to the bank.
That is the actual email address given on the site.
The address on mine is different to the one on yours so as mine is right then yours is probably not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back