Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
As title says,wife and i belong to The Caravan Club have done for 3yrs now.
We thought that we would spend 6 nights in the New Forest and as the club has a site in the middle of the forest we will give it a go.Wife phoned 10 days ago and makes a booking stating that as we are both disabled we need a pitch next to the shower block (our camper has no shower) when we arrived yesterday we were told that they had no booking stating that we were disabled therefore they could not accommodate us next to the shower block.
We tried phoning other club site but they were all booked,so after traveling over 150 mls we had to come home.Sent in complaint to The Caravan Club eager to read there response.:Angry:

PS Just incase there is someone would like the name of the site,Black Knowl Caravan Club Site,Brockenhurst so42 7qd.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What a bummer, I would be writing to the chair of the club, outline the problems and then tell them you want your fuel refunded. They will refuse:RollEyes: So just on principal alone, IMO you should

1. Write to them and tell them that you are taking them to a small claims court for your petrol money. They might take you seriously here, but I doubt it. They will write back and say that they had no record of your booking. Sorry but go away. Don't go away..
  2. Fill in a county court claim at Link Removed outline your loss, be specific, just fuel, not time or tyre wear or consequential loss. This will cost you a further £40 or £50 to make the claim.
  3. IMO The costs they will incurr sending a solicitor to defend is so high they may as well pay anyway. So the chances of them actually defending the claim will be slim, and even if they do. Your chances of winning in front of a registrar are very high. Win at the County court and you will get your petrol money, and the costs.
I enjoy a good scrap, so would enjoy this, but appreciate that many do not, so you should only put in a claim if you are prepared to lose your £50 and a bit of time. Its a shame to let the buggers get away with ruining your holiday though.

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Go to the Caravan Club web site and under Calor awards you can also make your feelings known about the reception you received.:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

russ

Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
Thanks for replies waiting to hear from them,got to give them a chance.Will let you know the outcome.

This just came,Dear Member,

Thank you for taking the time to write in regarding your recent visit to a Caravan Club Site.

Due to the nature of your letter, your comments have been passed on to the Regional Manager concerned, for him to reply.

Please be aware the response time can be up to 20 working days due to the fact the Regional Managers spend a great deal of time on the road visiting sites and are therefore away from their offices for a number of days at a time. However, they will endeavour to respond as soon as they can.

Your co-operation in this matter is very much appreciated.

Yours faithfully

Miska Petrovicova

On behalf of the Caravan Club

OP
OP
R

russ

Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
I would have thought the managers being away from there offices for upto 20 working days would all have laptops.:Smile:
Take note of the name of the person who replied looks like Russian i thought they only bought football clubs:roflmto:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Thought they could have used a phone too !:Angry: Also one manager in your area could have phoned you to arrange a meeting at your home.
Whats wrong with customer service these days :Doh: !!

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I would have thought the managers being away from there offices for upto 20 working days would all have laptops.:Smile:
Take note of the name of the person who replied looks like Russian i thought they only bought football clubs:roflmto:

She's got a facebook entry :winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It may seem a frustratingfly long time but 20 working days is the same as applies to FoI requests and isn't all that long in a large organisation.

In this case the regional manager will have to to speak to the wardens at the site, investigate the system(s) in which the booking details should have been stored and try to establish the reason(s) why the error occurred. The meeting(s) necessary will also have to be fitted in with existing workloads and schedules.

Hope it all ends satisfactorily.

Graham

Manouche

Free Member
Feb 5, 2009
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Hi Russ,
I was once assistant warden at Black Knowl and I'm quite surprised you got a pitch at all at such short notice. When I was there the site was nearly always fully booked all year, some people booked a year in advance just to make sure they got in.
This may have changed since they opened their new site in the forest.

I obviously don't know of your disabilities but just round the corner is "Hollands Wood"
now a camping and caravanning site. (Discounts apply) The shower blocks are new and very clean.
Brockenhurst is a couple of minutes down the road.

It's cheaper than the Caravan Club site and the ponies will come for breakfast to your door.
I wish you the best of luck with your complaint.

OP
OP
R

russ

Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
Hi Russ,
I was once assistant warden at Black Knowl and I'm quite surprised you got a pitch at all at such short notice. When I was there the site was nearly always fully booked all year, some people booked a year in advance just to make sure they got in.
This may have changed since they opened their new site in the forest.

I obviously don't know of your disabilities but just round the corner is "Hollands Wood"
now a camping and caravanning site. (Discounts apply) The shower blocks are new and very clean.
Brockenhurst is a couple of minutes down the road.

It's cheaper than the Caravan Club site and the ponies will come for breakfast to your door.
I wish you the best of luck with your complaint.

We did not think 10days was short notice and there were quite a few pitches on the board in the site office not taken.We have had no trouble in the past with other sites regards our bookings,as you say it might have changed since they opened the new site.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We did not think 10days was short notice and there were quite a few pitches on the board in the site office not taken.

I find it hard to believe that a fellow MHer would not have moved for you if asked nicely. Looks like the warden couldn't give a damn.

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
I find it hard to believe that a fellow MHer would not have moved for you if asked nicely. Looks like the warden couldn't give a damn.

Who says it was a motorhomer in the most appropriate spot. It could have been a caravan owner out for the day.

Derek

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Who says it was a motorhomer in the most appropriate spot. It could have been a caravan owner out for the day.

Derek

I would say that the possibilitey of all of the pitches near the showers being filled with tuggers who were out for the day very remote

Jim
:Smile:

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
I would say that the possibilitey of all of the pitches near the showers being filled with tuggers who were out for the day very remote

Jim

Thing is everyone is jumping to conclusions without knowing all the facts. I am sure that as soon as he has had a reply from the CC the OP will post the reply. Thats the time to comment.

Derek

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thing is everyone is jumping to conclusions without knowing all the facts. I am sure that as soon as he has had a reply from the CC the OP will post the reply. Thats the time to comment.

Derek

Hi Derek
Its just opinion mate. If we didnt have an opinion we wouldnt have a forum
Jim

OP
OP
R

russ

Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
Good to read the comments and i will post the result as soon as i get it.:Smile:

OP
OP
R

russ

Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
Update as promised,BLACK KNOWL CARAVAN CLUB SITE

Thank you for your email concerning your booking at the above site. I am sorry to hear that we could not provide a pitch near the toilet block on your arrival. We have investigated and it appears we have no record of your request and we apologise if this is our error. I understand the Wardens offered you the nearest pitch they could.

Thank you again for your email. In the circumstances and as a gesture of goodwill I will arrange for 2 site night vouchers to be sent to you.

Yours sincerely

Francis Bradshaw

Regional Manager (South)

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Thank you for your email concerning your booking at the above site. I am sorry to hear that we could not provide a pitch near the toilet block on your arrival. We have investigated and it appears we have no record of your request and we apologise if this is our error. I understand the Wardens offered you the nearest pitch they could.

Thank you again for your email. In the circumstances and as a gesture of goodwill I will arrange for 2 site night vouchers to be sent to you.

Yours sincerely

Francis Bradshaw

Regional Manager (South)

Probably taken direct from the Caravan Club book of stereotyped replies to queries and complaints - as issued to Area managers - to make life easier and take the pressure off of the over-worked wardens!

Buy them off with the offer of a couple of free nights somewhere. :thumb:

ps - does that include the use of an Hook-up - or is it just the pitch fee?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
With respect, how will you prove that yo actually requested a pitch close to the shower?

It may have been better if it is that important to you, to have emailed or written and detailed your requirement and asked for a response.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well at least they came back with a reply,hope you are happy with the outcome.:thumb:

I also hope the outcome suits you Russ.

I'm sure that the CC, like any large organisation, suffers from people trying to get something for nothing as well as receiving complaints from genuine people like yourselves.

It's always difficult when any documentary proof of an occurrence has disappeared. Nice to see that the CC hasn't used that as an excuse to try to disclaim all responsibility.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As I understand it you can't normally reserve a specific pitch with the club, their policy has always been that you could only get what was available on arrival, the booking system doesn't cater for pitch allocation..

If you require a large pitch for an RV .. you are told to turn up and see what is available.. they will do their utmost to accommodate but can't guarantee one will be available.
This is also the case when two or more members want adjacent pitches..

In this particular case they made a verbal agreement but as the system isn't designed to reserve specific pitches then mistakes will happen, I'm actually surprised they agreed to reserve a pitch in the first place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

russ

Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
Thanks for your replies,yes i'm happy with the two nights tokens they help towards the fuel it cost me.As Sweet Chariot said it was all done online as we always do had no bother before.I will try going the e-mail route next time.Cheers.

OP
OP
R

russ

Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
Update as promised,BLACK KNOWL CARAVAN CLUB SITE,sent more e-mails still not received tokens think i'm wasting my time.Seriously thinking of changing to another club,open to suggestions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back