Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a Kia Rio which is available to be sold or a local garage WILL swap it with a small additional amount for a 2013 Smart Auto fortwo.
FEW things, are they worth having as a car, and toad How bad are they? Are they worth the money?
Can you tow them without damage to the gearbox, I am not sure if it is the early 6 speed robotised auto or the newer 5 speed dual clutch one which is supposedly better .

GEOMAR

Free Member
Mar 22, 2015
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Great little toad and has 5 speed auto box,I have a 2011 one
GEOMAR

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
they are good, great for towing, but not much suspension used to hurt my back so it had to go. ended up with a toyota aygo which suited us better.

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Still a five speed robotised gearbox, not a dual clutch!

We recently bought one and it suits our needs as "motorhome supplementary transport"
Found the diesel to be a real slug, the non turbo version was OK and the turbo version is fine. Not hugely economical, ride is a little harsh and gearbox in auto mode takes a little getting used to...but remarkably spacious!

Avoid any MHD car (those with stop/start) Even our local Merc / Smart dealer gently guided us away from that choice...google to see why!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've seen two of them on fire. Bought new they are ludicrously expensive and in automotive terms they are pretty crude - but they are light and small and if that is what you want and they do look fun then get one. Just make sure you have a fire extinguisher!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am a smarty freak.. Had them all... Currently have a 2010 Passion, 84 bh version.
They are quick for what they are, fun to drive ( as if they are on rails !) and ain't bad on juice even driven as I treat them.

DBK, to say you we have seen two on fire is somewhat misleading methinks.. I have never seen one alight, and that is after 11 years of being heavily involved with allthe clubs,meets and big runs.. In fact I have seen more motorhomes on fire ( well, I have seen one,so that is more :D )
They make great toads, and are amazingly roomy inside.. In fact they shock most folk how much room there is in them !

Forgot to mention.. They have the same engine as them as the IQ, and a fair fee other small cars too.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This one caught fire being towed by a MH! http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9933065.Couple_battled_to_put_out_Smart_car_fire_on_A338/

The last one I saw on fire was beside the A30 between Honiton and Exeter. The couple from it were standing upwind of it watching the blaze and awaiting the fire engine to arrive. Can't remember where the other was but it was ablaze from the engine compartment like the one near Honiton.

I have no evidence to suggest they are more likely to catch fire than other vehicles, but they do burn well when they do from my limited observations.:)

Google "UK smart car fire" for other reports.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Speaking as a Smart owner I have to say DBK your argument does not hold water. I have recently seen two transit vans on fire, both tottally gutted with only the chassis and wheels left. But that does not mean that they are all going to burst into flames and that they are made from kindling. I dare say if you googled uk transit fire you would get an equal amount of hits.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This one caught fire being towed by a MH! http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9933065.Couple_battled_to_put_out_Smart_car_fire_on_A338/

The last one I saw on fire was beside the A30 between Honiton and Exeter. The couple from it were standing upwind of it watching the blaze and awaiting the fire engine to arrive. Can't remember where the other was but it was ablaze from the engine compartment like the one near Honiton.

I have no evidence to suggest they are more likely to catch fire than other vehicles, but they do burn well when they do from my limited observations.:)

Google "UK smart car fire" for other reports.
Google motorhome fire !!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Google motorhome fire !!
Maybe the handbrake had been left on, or half on. Saw that last year in Wareham, everybody shouting as he started to drive away. Something to do with the brake connection.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It might have been in gear. or handbrake on. On YouTube there is an american RV, pulling a pickup truck and he pulled into a gas station where someone pointed out he had burst the rear tyres because it was in park. Bloke said OK I am not going far and dragged it off still in park for another 4 miles.
I have decided I do not want the one I was after as he wanted too much and offered too low a trade in. Is there anybody wanting a Kia Rio with 2700 miles on it?????? for £5500 he didn't but wanted £6599 for the smarty.

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
We are on our second Smart ,the difference between the 2011 model and the latest version is a vast improvement ,
The old auto box system has gone replaced with a conventional 5 speed box so the neck jerk is with us no longer.
Fits on the trailer fine as only 10 mm wider than the original so a little tight but no issue.
Dragged it round Europe for three months this year and no issues so happy enough.

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Hi GWAYGWAY, don't drag it on an A Frame unless you have to. Get a Brian James Smart trailer for it. Perfectly balanced, 4/5 minute load time, can be loaded without the trailer even hitched with rear legs down, and the trailer can be wheeled about with the car on it. We love our Smarty, just back from a month in France. Great drive to the top of Mount Ventoux!
Auto box, but with the manual shift over-ride, Mrs Jimbo drove it up like she stole it!!

France July 2015 002.JPG

Attachments

• France July 2015 053.JPG
    France July 2015 053.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Hi GWAYGWAY, don't drag it on an A Frame unless you have to. Get a Brian James Smart trailer for it. Perfectly balanced, 4/5 minute load time, can be loaded without the trailer even hitched with rear legs down, and the trailer can be wheeled about with the car on it. We love our Smarty, just back from a month in France. Great drive to the top of Mount Ventoux!
Auto box, but with the manual shift over-ride, Mrs Jimbo drove it up like she stole it!!

That looks a very nice set up but can you pull away with front wheel drive on a wet slope, My Transit is twin rear wheel and I was going to make a trailer for it. At the moment I have decided against it as it became too dear to buy. Will find an older one later, and by then might have another MH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back