What Motorhome... please help me!! (1 Viewer)

SkippySi

Free Member
Aug 27, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
First post here, good evening all.

After many years of talking about buying a motorhome we have finally decided to bit the bullet and get on with it. But sadly I am struggling to find the perfect van, I am hoping someone can make some suggestions.

Firstly a bit about us. We are a family of four, myself, wifey and two boys (7+9). We all love spending time in the great outdoors doing quite a bit of mountain biking, running, walking etc etc. We dream of being able to throw a few things and bikes in a motorhome on a Friday evening and driving up the Lake district and having a couple of fantastic days playing then heading back on Sunday.

We also like camping in France, so at least once a year our future motorhome will cross the channel towards the alps or the south coast.

All normal stuff I guess.

Anyway I am struggling to find many motorhomes that will meat our requirements. Ideally what we want is:

- At least 4 berth, ideally with a bed over the cab and two bunks (our boys are early risers, we are not!)
- I like the idea of a garage to put bikes in when travelling. Motorhomes where the lower bunk folds up makes sense for that. But it is not essential.
-Air conditioning - yes bit of a luxury but it makes driving through France in the summer far nicer.
- less than £20,000

The options I have found so far have been a Broken Link Removed. Looks nice but I don't know much about that make.

Or maybe a Broken Link Removed 7 - which looks nice

Or a Hymer B544 (which does not really meet my requirements, but I like the quality (and resale value!!)

We are not after luxury, simple is better.

What do you think, any ideas?

Thanks

S

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Totally agree with @GeriatricWanderer about payload. Check your driving entitlement as you will almost certainly want a motorhome with MAM in excess of 3.5 tonnes.

Don't take the dealer's word about the unladen weights, insist on a weighbridge ticket when you do find a van that fits your requirements.

Euro Mobil are a well established brand and I'm sure someone who has one will soon be along to tell you more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SkippySi

SkippySi

Free Member
Aug 27, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks for your quick response. My licence will allow me to drive greater than 3.5 tonnes, but I was concerned by the different MOT and other complications. Should I worry?

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Welcome. There will be plenty of advice coming. Don't rush into it and keep an open mind in the early stages. As above about payload and lighter units. The boys will only get heavier and so will their gear.

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Firstly, welcome to the forum

Thanks for your quick response. My licence will allow me to drive greater than 3.5 tonnes, but I was concerned by the different MOT and other complications. Should I worry?

The MOT on the heavier vehicle is the same as for a car (Class 4???). However, finding a garage with the facilities (roof height above the hoist or a pit) to carry out the MOT on a motorhome is not easy in some areas. I didn't have any problems with an MOT on a twin-axled Hymer before I moved to France.

J

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
No need to worry about the MOT stuff at all. Just ask a local haulier where they get theirs done.... or your council may do them if they MOT their own vehicles.

Another thing to watch out for is that there are enough belted travel seats. Even six berth vans sometimes only have two belted travel seats :(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SkippySi

SkippySi

Free Member
Aug 27, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
No need to worry about the MOT stuff at all. Just ask a local haulier where they get their's done.... or you council may do them as they do their own vehicles.

Another thing to watch out for is that there are enough belted travel seats. Even six berth vans sometimes only have two belted travel seats :(

Thanks for the info, maybe I don't need to worry about the MOT.

4 belted traveling seats is essential. It seems very poor design (and marketing) on some vans to quote six belted seats but two are rear facing with no headrests, even a low speed crash could do some serious damage.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've got a Euramobil. Build quality is extremely good so well worth a look.

Don't rush into buying anything. Look around lots of vehicles to make sure you get the best layout for you and your family. You may end up with something completely different to what you think you need at the moment.

Denise

Upvote 0

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
I find it bizarre that MH can be advertised as 5 or 6 berth but can get away with only having 2 or 4 belted seats, excusable in older pre legislation MH but unforgivable on new MH. Somebody needs to get Dom littlewood on the case.

That said, given that most MH rear seats have unfixed bases I'm not sure what use the seats belts would be anyway, I'd imagine in a crash the seat base would break loose and you would go under the belt.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back