Elektroblock EBL 90 - Isolating from battery (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi all

Is there anyway to isolate or turn off the battery charging function?

Battery is a Bulldog 120 amp hour and seems fine except that it seems to dry out too quickly which suggests to me that it's being overcharged. Topped up to above the plates in February and yesterday took more than 1/2 pint distilled water to bring it back again.

Probably a total of about 110 days on EHU since last top up. Doesn't really need to be constantly charging so is there anyway to turn off the Elektroblock from charging?

Cheers Dave

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
How old are your battery's what happens the battery's can't reach full charge so the charger compensates and puts in to much charge

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
How old are your battery's what happens the battery's can't reach full charge so the charger compensates and puts in to much charge

The habitation battery is 5 years old. I was going to replace it earlier this year before heading to Spain as I thought age was against it! But after testing it out running just about everything to give it a pounding, TV on DVD, lights, etc, it seemed to be OK and still showing 12v after 3 days.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The only one I can find Brian, if turned off, activates the Truma frost safety valve and dumps the water (n)

Well that's not much use then.

Only other suggestion is fit a switch in the mains lead or just live with it. Now I come to think of it ours did just the same. But Feb to Aug, is that so terrible to top up a little more often ? It might keep the battery in a better condition if constantly "fizzed".

Battery now sealed so no idea how we are doing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Well that's not much use then.

Only other suggestion is fit a switch in the mains lead or just live with it. Now I come to think of it ours did just the same. But Feb to Aug, is that so terrible to top up a little more often ? It might keep the battery in a better condition if constantly "fizzed".

Battery now sealed so no idea how we are doing.

Blooming silly thing is under the passenger seat so not so easy to get to. I guess I'll have to make the effort more often!

Hi, Is the electrobloc set to the correct battery type ? It is switchable for Gel or Normal wet acid.
Barrie

I've checked and the switch is set for wet battery, but cheers Barrie.

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Dave, I did at one time raise the question of EHU connection when I was having habitation battery problems with Udo Lang at Schudt. He did suggest that it wasn't a good idea to have hookup for too long. I think he said no more than a few days at a time.Always worth an email to him. Udo.Lang@schaudt-gmbh.de
Also other thoughts are, have you checked voltage going into the batteries, both hab & motor?
Are they charging similarly ? Batteries drying would normally be associated with over charge.
Have you checked alternator charge ? Had any bulbs blow ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
He did suggest that it wasn't a good idea to have hookup for too long.

That's a sad reflection on their old charger then, a modern one can be left on all the time.

Ours did fail, as is quite common, and it now has a modern intelligent charger. Their latest ones probably do to.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Do you mean EBL90 or is it an EBL99? I have not heard of a 90. Assuming it's an EBL99, the main switch on the front panel does not isolate the battery - it switches in one of two relays that activate certain 12v circuits (step, door light, Truma frost valve and Truma Ex-Eis if fitted). As long as 230V mains is supplied to the EBL it will charge the batteries. There is a 'kettle plug' input on the front panel of the EBL that you could pull out but it should not be necessary. The EBL has an IUoU charging programme that switches down to 13.8V when the battery is charged and then maintains the leisure battery with a float-charge.
If the battery selector switch is set to Blei-Saüre (lead-acid) then there should be no need to disconnect the EBL from the battery unless either the battery is shot or the EBL has developed a fault. Note that keeping on with batteries that are at the end of life can cause EBL failure. Also, if the leisure battery is internal then a non-sealed version may not be a good idea. As you mention that your battery can be topped-up, I assume it is not a sealed unit. Battery cell failure at the end of life can lead to gassing when it is charged. It is a good idea to fit vent tubes whether or not you have sealed batteries if they are fitted internally (I realise you may already have this).

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
@bjandlin That could be somewhat difficult coming off EHU when on long spells away. I haven't checked any voltage outputs apart from what I note on the control panel which all looks to be quite normal.

@JeanLuc Sorry, you are correct it's EBL99...I don't think despite it being 5 years old that there is any problem with the battery. It holds it's charge well and during wild camping spells I have had no abnormal discharge. Interesting what you say about the battery though. The cell caps are not like the old type that sit proud, they're recessed and although I can remove them I have thought it could well be a so called 'maintenance free' battery. From my apprentice days I can still recall the smell of batteries gassing and I have never noticed it.

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep an eye on it and maybe it's time to replace the battery before we head down to Spain for the winter.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Like JeanLuc, I'm wondering if the Electrobloc is set to the right charging pattern for the existing battery. The switch is top right as you look at the front panel & should be in the down position for lead acid batteries.

Make sure you unplug from the mains before moving the switch. You'll need a ball point pen or similar.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The options on the battery selector switch are 'Blei-Gel' or 'Blei-Saüre'. If it is set to the former gel setting, it will tend to boil a 'wet' lead-acid battery as the second charging stage will last far too long (approx 8 hours versus 1 hour).

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
It's switched correctly for a wet battery type. I'm going to get a new battery very soon, before we head off to Spain in November and I'll probably go for the gel type. Thanks again for the help on this one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back