Buying a Motorhome in Germany? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Hello, we are new to motorhoming and retiring next year. We have caravaned for many years, home and abroad and now feel a motorhome is the logical way forward. Has anyone been to the Dusseldorf Caravan Salon? This is supposedly the largest show in the world, just happens to starting this weekend for the best part of a week, so the wife and I are off for a bank holiday weekend looking at MHs.

We want a LHD and with the exchange rate as good as it is at present this could be an opportunity to see what is on offer, meet dealers and hopefully give them a specifciation of a secondhand MH that will be traded in and potentially our new MH?

Any guidance gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Mark and welcome to fun, I have just paid a deposit on a new MH from a German dealer this forum has been a great help in the process.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi & welcome! Lots of chat on here about Dusseldorf Show (we've not been yet but big fan of NEC show) & there is a current thread http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/dusseldorf-show.113731/page-2#post-1527930. Quite a few have bought from Germany & sure you will get lots of advice - one knowledgeable member who springs to mind is Judgemental (@Judgemental ) so hopefully he will be able to point you in the right direction (y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Happy to help with the process once you make your mind up:)

We are at show on the last weekend

Use forum search function...loads of info on past threads

Eddie

Last edited:
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We went to Germany to buy one a couple of weeks ago. Not a difficult process at all.

Just jumping through the hoops with HMRC and DVLA, at the moment, while the van sits on the drive. That's the frustrating bit!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hello, we are new to motorhoming and retiring next year. We have caravaned for many years, home and abroad and now feel a motorhome is the logical way forward. Has anyone been to the Dusseldorf Caravan Salon? This is supposedly the largest show in the world, just happens to starting this weekend for the best part of a week, so the wife and I are off for a bank holiday weekend looking at MHs.

We want a LHD and with the exchange rate as good as it is at present this could be an opportunity to see what is on offer, meet dealers and hopefully give them a specifciation of a secondhand MH that will be traded in and potentially our new MH?

Any guidance gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark
If your trade in is RHD you may have a serious problem. Probably better selling it privately.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If your trade in is RHD you may have a serious problem. Probably better selling it privately.

The PX is a caravan:D But your still right best selling that here.....

once you have the LHD further PX's straightforward (keep the headlights)

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks everyone, especially Judgemental - unfortunately we are only there this Saturday/Sunday. My wife has lived in Germany for several years and is fluent (probably not fluent in german technical motorhome speak!). I am just hoping we can find a good MH, we are trying to be flexible around the type/layout and hopefully can meet some dealers - it does sound as though they are very helpful.

Thanks again

Mark

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks everyone, especially Judgemental - unfortunately we are only there this Saturday/Sunday. My wife has lived in Germany for several years and is fluent (probably not fluent in german technical motorhome speak!). I am just hoping we can find a good MH, we are trying to be flexible around the type/layout and hopefully can meet some dealers - it does sound as though they are very helpful.

Thanks again

Mark

it does help to have a plan of what you want to see..nothing will prepare you for the size of show and its easy to waste a day just browsing around......

Eddie

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks again Judgemental, we are sorting a plan, models we want to see etc but probably more importantly meeting the dealers who are willing to help us with our quest in acquiring a MH either at the show or afterwards.

Anyway thanks to all for the guidance - it is much appreciated!

Mark & Linda

OP
OP

Deleted User
Well we are here, and yes it is big!!!! That said we managed to see quite a few manufacturers yesterday just a few more to see today. One thing we have noticed is that most models at the show come with a special pack of extras although external BBQ gas points and showers do not seem to standard? Is this normal as MHs in the UK seem to have such items as standard???

We spent most of last evening making a list of essential s and desirables to do some negotiating today! Once more into the breach.........

Mark & Linda

OP
OP

Deleted User
Well we have done it!!! Next March we will come to Germany to collect our new Dethleffs!!
Thanks for the advice and hopefully we will on the road in spring.
Mark & Linda

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Well done Mark and Linda (y). Perhaps it's time to join Motorhome Fun now in preparation for your new acquisition- I'm sure during the wait you will think of lots of questions that members can help with.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Well we have done it!!! Next March we will come to Germany to collect our new Dethleffs!!
Thanks for the advice and hopefully we will on the road in spring.
Mark & Linda
So you need to start making a judgement on the Euro next spring and make a forward buy at the rate you think will be a good deal. You will only have to lay out 10% of the deal until it crystallises. Get yourself a DVLA import pack and a couple of extra V55/4 forms in case you make an error. Download the VCA docs and familiarise yourself with its requirements. Search out a friendly garage that conforms, and talk to them about your requirement. Make sure Detleffs do what they can, press for fog light on the correct side and correct dipping headlights, or are you having RHD? You could also try for the correct speedo.

Grahamg

Free Member
Jul 6, 2015
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
congratulations guys on purchase .. like you we are now taking first steps of buying .. going to the show Wednesday until Saturday , got a couple of models in mind we really want to explore ,any tips appreciated on discounts extras etc ,or are there just as good deals to be had away from the excitement of the show at the dealers direct .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@Grahamg

That's trickey as the answers both yes and no. I have got better deal after the shoe previously. But some have show offers.

Need to do your homework before you go then see if you can better it at the show.

In 2007 I talked to 6 dealers at show . chose 3 to keep in contact with, 2 offered 17% but then belgian dealer I approached offered the same so bought there as closer. Have had 2 vans since...

You may get the best deal there or away from show its hard to tell.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Hi again, have now joined MHF and can continue the thread!

Sallylillian, we arrived back this morning so thanks for the advice - we will be making a forward payment soon-ish and the deposit will be completed this week due, we are currently on rate-exchange watch!

One question I have though is something you mentioned about the fog lights etc - I take it that this is a condition of registering the MH in the UK? I had not seen that coming, probably did not want to see either as most of our travels will be on the rights hand side of the road and the orginal stup would suit that better, with just the headlight deflectors for the UK - is this possible? Thanks for your comments - much appreciated!

Grahamg - thanks it is exciting and a bit of a whirlwind experience to buy a MH in less than 2 days...
In terms of negotiating this can be a little difficult if the dealers do not want to engage - we found several did not want to do this and were pretty vague about the process of selling to a person(s) from the UK- an example -on the Dethleffs stand we originally spoke to a Dutch salesman from near Rotterdam, close to home we thought and therefore service support etc - he could not do a deal there and then preferring to wait until after the show when was back at his desk - would show offers still be honoured?? On returning to the stand later yesterday we spoke to a German dealer (Heiner) from Bremen - very useful and genuine guy answered all my technical questions, understood the process of selling to the UK to the extent that he knew quite a lot about the registration forms we needed to complete before plates could be issued/taken to Germany at time of collection. More than this though, we had one other MH in mind and at good price - we specified all of the extras we wanted (recommend you do this) as this is the bit that negotiation is generally centred on, he totted all this up went away to print off the quote which included a large discount beating the previous quote and giving us the MH we really wanted!

Heiner did state that the show deals are genuine as they get a discount as an exhibitor for every sale from the exhibition organiser - another dealer stated the opposite - on balance I think I believed him! One tip I would recommend is to set a bench mark MH i.e. the best you have seen so far and compare all the contenders to that - this whittled down the competition quite quickly (we were severely time constrained). Always get a quotation though for negotiation.

Apologies for waffling, very tired and all motor-homed out, (well nearly!)

Mark & Linda

Now then what about, storage, insurance........

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No...you will need new UK headlights. a speed overlay fitted that read MPH and fog light moved to the other side (unless it has 2). The right dealer could have handled all this for you....if you dont ask you dont get. so ask them:)

"he knew quite a lot about the registration forms we needed to complete before plates could be issued/taken to Germany at time of collection"

Oh dear..this not possible as you have to get VCA inspection done in the UK before applying to DVLA for registration.. I think you should do some reading up

are you getting it net - VAT free?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted User
Have just emailed the questions to the dealer! He did state he was experienced in this.
Thanks Mark and Linda

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Welcome & wow that was quick! We bought our motorhome at the NEC as dealers could do a better deal there (with manufacturers incentives) than before or after so think your final sales guy was truthful.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, it all sounds great!
Which dethleffs did you go for?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have just emailed the questions to the dealer! He did state he was experienced in this.
Thanks Mark and Linda

I don't think you are listening.... You have to present the converted van (headlights/speedo/footlights changed to UK spec) to a UK MOT station so they can fill in the form to send to VCA ... which in turn goes to DVLA for registration process to begin?

you cant register a van that's physically not here and take plates over!lol its not that simple:censored:

OP
OP

Deleted User
Hi Judgemental - I have just read the VCA documentation and forwarded this to the dealer, he does know our position, we made it quite clear to him yesterday. We are paying the VAT in Germany and will be paying the extra 1% reqired in the UK to HMRC.

Hi Wombles - yes it was quick - we have asked the question about the VCA conformity with the dealer - he was very helpful I don't think we will have too much of a problem but

Hi StitchesnFluff

We went for the Dethleffs Trend T 7057 which best suited our needs/budget. Compared to some of the other we were considering it did seem better equipped with the show package but the extras added and the discount given was very good.

Mark & Linda

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for that Judgemental!

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
They look great!
Will be very interested to hear about your experiences with the particular dealer/company

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi Judgemental - I have just read the VCA documentation and forwarded this to the dealer, he does know our position, we made it quite clear to him yesterday. We are paying the VAT in Germany and will be paying the extra 1% reqired in the UK to HMRC.

Hi Wombles - yes it was quick - we have asked the question about the VCA conformity with the dealer - he was very helpful I don't think we will have too much of a problem but

Hi StitchesnFluff

We went for the Dethleffs Trend T 7057 which best suited our needs/budget. Compared to some of the other we were considering it did seem better equipped with the show package but the extras added and the discount given was very good.

Mark & Linda

you cant pay the 1% here as UK HMRC will want the FULL 20% or else you cant register it. like I said earlier, the right dealer will let you have it vat free as long as you send them proof that vat paid in the UK. there is enough info on here about the import process for these fundamental mistakes not to be made..you have jumped in head first without understanding the process or the consequences...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back