Transport motorbike on stand or not ? (1 Viewer)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I have a garage in which I can carry a motorbike, scooter (Honda Lead 100)actually, have loaded it with most of our "goodies" for the trip, weighed it and came in at 3260kg good news.

The question is to travel with it in the garage on its centre stand or not. If on the centre stand will this not place too much stress on the middle of the "chassis"
I have secured it with ratchet straps both back and front and intend to buy two motorbike tyre inner tubes which I will place either side and then inflate somewhat to provide protection from movement en route

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Been carrying my 650 Kawasaki for 8 years just 2 straps at the front one on each bar is all I ever use.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
No. Don't use the centre stand while in transit. The pressure point's from the legs will eventually damage your floor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I carry my CG125 on the wheels with the rear one locked in a frame and held with two metal ties to turnbuckles for tensioning down.
It works well but bear in mind the bumps will make the suspension work. I does make it easy to push in and out without the lifting on to the stand.. I think the floor might fret the covering and plywood if it moved about a lot on bumpy roads. See photos on topokita in his kennel in previous posting. He fits nicely and goes in without the mirrors.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Be wary of using rigid fastenings ie turnbuckles. A friend used them on his bike, attaching them to the crashbars. When he arrived at his destination one of them had snapped off. When the bike is held by rigid fasteners there is no give and the shock loads are transferred to the bolts. Straps allow the suspension and the tyres to absorb the shocks.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
As TheTwoOfUs says you don't want the bike rigid that's why even bike shops use straps the bike suspension soaks up the bumps that's what its for.
We fixed a Honda Dominator rigid once on a rear rack the bolts snapped through the constant movement the bike fell backwards and dragged along the road luckily only minor damage but could easily have been written off.
As I said in first reply been carrying the 650 Versys 210kgs for 8 years and only strap the bars its never moved once.

Sorry in answer to question
No definitely don't use centre stand you'll end up damaging the floor I have a ali bike carrier bolted to my floor to protect it with a wheel catcher at one end to hold it upright.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I use a front wheel catcher and 4 ratchet straps plus spread the load of the rear wheel with a bit of 3/4 ply.
IMG_0174.JPG

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Thank you all for your replies, I will now go outside and take the scooter off the centre stand and use straps as suggested with the addition of tyre inner tubes each side as there is only a matter of 5cms each side in places

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
two straps, let the suspension take the strain, also use a cable tie to put the front brake on, don't need to jam the brake on just enough to stop movement.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Those bar straps that pull across from the opposite sides of the bars are great ! Used them all the time when doing track days with never the slightest issue .

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Those bar straps that pull across from the opposite sides of the bars are great ! Used them all the time when doing track days with never the slightest issue .

Yep use that as well,brilliant product.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back