Very early arrival at the tunnel ? (1 Viewer)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Can any of you wise travelers advise please - We are scheduled to cross from Dover via the tunnel on Thursday morning about 7am, heading to Dover Wednesday afternoon and parking on the New Dover Road Park and Ride Aire for the night, but am getting itchy feet and am thinking of going straight to the tunnel Wednesday rather than Thursday morning - will they they stick me on the next available train or turn me away ? BIG Thanks in advance TC ;)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why not change your booking?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You can change your crossing any time up to 24 hours before, assuming there is space available, but if the one you change to is dearer than the one you've booked you'll get charged the difference.

Denise

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Why not change your booking?

what date?

I have changed bookings 5 times before at no cost but we are on a shared frequent traveler. doubt if there would be a charge to change to overnight anyway? as going out in evening usually cheaper then morning

look on line or just call and ask

edit: loads of availability evenings of next two Thursdays

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Just checked, arriving late evening will cost an extra - wait for it £106 - so that answers my questions an many thanks for those who participated but gonna stick to the original plan of Thursday morning :LOL::LOL:

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
:DLast time i went, Tunnel is Folkestone
Can any of you wise travelers advise please - We are scheduled to cross from Dover via the tunnel on Thursday morning about 7am, heading to Dover Wednesday afternoon and parking on the New Dover Road Park and Ride Aire for the night, but am getting itchy feet and am thinking of going straight to the tunnel Wednesday rather than Thursday morning - will they they stick me on the next available train or turn me away ? BIG Thanks in advance TC ;)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They will offer you an alternative train but if you're that early will almost certainly charge you. We were 14 hours early once (didn't get to Canterbury P&R before they locked up) and got a train but paid for the privilege.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just checked, arriving late evening will cost an extra - wait for it £106 - so that answers my questions an many thanks for those who participated but gonna stick to the original plan of Thursday morning :LOL::LOL:
Don't know how this could be just checked if you go at ten to four Wednesday its only £110

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I imagine there's something in the T&Cs about how early you can arrive.

I know you can be 24 hours late.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We are always changing our booking time

Paul

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I would chance it, we've arrived up to a day early at both Folkestone and Calais, I don't recall ever paying £20-30 more.

Worst case is you have to return to Canterbury for the evening.

Have a great trip !

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
When I saw the cost I thought they must be charging you for a new crossing but checking the eurotunnel site the cost of an evening train this week is £206 and the early morning train is £110 so they have quoted the difference between the price you paid and they price for an evening ticket now. It seems that you have picked the most expensive days to travel leading up to the bank holiday. If you look at the cost for an evening ticket next week it is £101. Don't you just love supply and demand.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Tunnel booked Monday evening, visit show Tues/Wed staying on P1.
UK Dethleffs club planning visit.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I am amazed they wanted so much.

We have often arrived a couple of hours early and they just put you on the next train.

We arrived at Calais a day early and they only wanted around £20 if we went on the next train and around a tenner if we waited a couple of hours.

I have always found the "chunnel" an easy company to deal with when changing plans. :0)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
When I saw the cost I thought they must be charging you for a new crossing but checking the eurotunnel site the cost of an evening train this week is £206 and the early morning train is £110 so they have quoted the difference between the price you paid and they price for an evening ticket now. It seems that you have picked the most expensive days to travel leading up to the bank holiday. If you look at the cost for an evening ticket next week it is £101. Don't you just love supply and demand.

£108 return all year round ( subject to conditions) sharing frequent traveler with someone.

OP
OP
Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
we have turned up a few hours early in the past and never had any problems, waited about 40 to get on the next train with no extra cost, thats why i was a little surprised to see how much they wanted this time :(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
we have turned up a few hours early in the past and never had any problems, waited about 40 to get on the next train with no extra cost, thats why i was a little surprised to see how much they wanted this time :(

Exactly the same for us. When we've been 3 or 4 hours early always been on an earlier train at no charge but when we were 14 hours early the only options offered were all quite high charges, the alternative being to go away and come back closer to our scheduled time. I think @lunarman is spot on and all they are doing is quoting you the difference between your scheduled train and the one you are trying to change to.

Your other, possibly better, option is to not ring them and change the booking, just turn up whenever you like and see what the check in screens say. It may well be different at the last minute. If you don't like any of the options offered then nip back to the services at J11 and get your head down there for a few hours.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We changed our booking from 7-20am Thursday to 6-20am Thursday, ie one hour earlier, no extra charge.

We'll wave if we see a van with a Fun sticker on it.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Advice from Eurotunnel is 2 hours either side of booked crossing, no extra charge

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Advice from Eurotunnel is 2 hours either side of booked crossing, no extra charge

You can safely ignore that.

You can turn up whenever you want within reason and you will be offered the next available train/s. If the ticket price for those earlier trains is the same as or less than the price for your booked time you won't be charged. If it's more you will be charged the difference.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back