Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Good luck Jackie. Travel safe and keep your eyes open for interesting fellow travellers. Looking forward to hearing of your adventures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Thank you so much. I am sitting here on the prom in Douglas and will be heading for the boat in half an hour. All my pals have come and gone and I've just said goodbye to Mr P. Although we've separated he's still my best mate and saying goodbye was tough. I really am on my own now.

But the sun has come out, I've been for a lovely walk on the beach with Dugal and the bloody Chinese Sat Nav that hasn't worked since I got it is now working perfectly so it's all good.

I'm not sure how much access to the internet I will have over the next 365 days but will be sure to look in when I do find it.

Thank you for creating this thread davanne. It's given my wee heart the lift it needed.

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
I hope all goes well......as I am also now alone (lost my Husband in July) I know motorhoming is a world I know, but will now be a completely different world to the one I knew. Well done on continuing x

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Well if you need some girly moment and a good chat, and a drink(or 2 or 3 as Mo would say) I hope you know you are most welcome at my place in Balma.
You'll have Wifi and some electricity too , so indeed , just let me know if you want my details ....I'll send them by PM. Also if you want my mobile phone number while in France , no problem at all.

Whatever your choices are, just enjoy your travels , I'm sure everything will be alright, and you'll meet fabulous people here and there whilst travelling!

Amicalement

Frankie;)(y):cool:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi, JackieP. We hope you have a wonderful adventure in Europe and return with lots of happy memories. What a lovely offer from Frankie. This forum is so much more than just 'motorhoming'. The people on here are so thoughtful and caring.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Safe trip JP will be heading down through France/Spain next month with pete and Jan @Leftlegger and now going from home port of Plymouth so maybe will cross paths somewhere happy trails :)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Best wishes for the start of your new life's journey. Keep safe, will be looking out for that distinctive van. Happy motorhoming, If you see a madwoman in a Mizar, waving like mad, it is probably me.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
First time I have internet and so lovely to read your messages, thank you. Thank you Frankie for your marvellous offer and to TerryL - who knows - I'm still struggling to get my head around the fact that I'm heading over to France next week!

I've faced lots of challenges already. Despite paying a fortune for a good service and check over, I had the delights of my brand new windscreen wipers falling off on the M6 in the middle of a torrential downpour. Got them back on and the same thing happened five miles down the road. Very very scary and I was all for leaving the van on the hard shoulder and thumbing a lift home when I remembered that the van was home. So much for that idea. Limped into an MOT garage who told me the wipers were the cheapest going (or not going) and he replaced the for me with another brand new set - this time they've stayed on.

Had a wonderful week at Dovedale in the Peak District on a lovely farm that charged £3 a night - I never knew anyone changed so little. Had to get dug out and towed by a handsome farmer in a red tractor - every cloud and all that.

It was at Dovedale that I acquired my first injury. I was throwing a green potato out of the door and into the river (yes, I've not idea why either) when I caught my thumb on the door lock, took my nail off and dislocated the joint. This was also the time that I had my first cry. You've no idea how much you do with your right thumb until you get it in a splint. Challenging for sure.

I noticed that there was a hellish noise of metal on metal when I turned the ignition off and then it began when I turned the ignition on. Another issue.

I've been at Midland Road Springs for a couple of days getting the leaf springs replaced all round (I would highly recommend MRS for any leaf spring work) and they got out a mechanic to check the noise and he diagnosed a faulty starter motor and then delighted me by saying it was impossible to get a replacement on a van this age. I cried again that night. Just a little.

But yesterday the boys got her up on the ramp and found that the noise was actually the exhaust that hadn't been secured properly after my local garage replaced it. I don't know if you're picking up a picture of my local garage but I can tell you that I'm getting ready to send them an email and it's not going to be flowers and butterflies.

Am I enjoying myself? Sometimes yes but I must admit that there have been more challenges than fun times. Do I think it's good for me? Hell yes. it's why I came away, to challenge myself, although I could have done with not quite so many all in the first week.

I'm pootling down England tomorrow to find some little quiet CL's and Britstops where Dugal can have a good run around and I, can hopefully, have some downtime without incident. Somewhere where I'm hoping the view from the door will be better than this…

IMG_4525.jpg Hopefully.

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Oh Jackie you have not had the best start but things can only get better. Hope you have a good few days rest before you cross into France. I was wondering how you were getting on not thinking you would have so many mechanical woes.
Keep us up to date on your travels when you get chance.:wink:
image.jpg

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Well if you go on that way, you'll definitely need a stop at my place for a big cuddle and a bit of peace of mind (....so she says , and then the very same day both girls and hymers get flooded!!!!:eek::LOL:)!

We have a saying in French which goes " qui peut le plus , peut le moins" which could be translated by "who ever gets the worst will cope with the best"

You'll probably have other worries , hopefully after a pause....but it will make you stronger and feel more confident (mind you the thumb nail bit must have really been painful) !

But I bet all in all this is going to be the best year of your life!

Amicalement

Frankie;):cool:

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
safe travels without any hick ups from now on. your doing great by the sounds of it,:clap2: no matter what life has thrown at you up till now. keep up the good work and keep us posted on your travels when you can. enjoy :party2:Mew and Mick

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Good luck Jackie, it can only get better now after your shake down cruise .

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
That's what I'm hoping! Every challenge is an opportunity to see how I deal with it. I'm only glad that all these things are being sorted now before I get onto some serious travelling!

Spending three nights with this guy as a neighbour wasn't really what I had in mind however. Especially when he arrives at 10pm and leaves at 5am! :)

IMG_4525.jpg

Dugal however is having the best of times and enjoying my purchases from the poundshop. This model lasted 55 seconds!

IMG_4537 (1).jpg

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006

We have a saying in French which goes " qui peut le plus , peut le moins" which could be translated by "who ever gets the worst will cope with the best"

But I bet all in all this is going to be the best year of your life

I love that saying! I'm going to write it out and stick it on my wall!

And yes, I think you're right. I will look back on all of this with a smile.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Jackie, you are doing so well, coping with stuff that would have floored a lot of people. This time next year you will be looking back with a big smile on your face, and eating out on your tales of (mis) adventure.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
@JackieP

Dugal however is having the best of times and enjoying my purchases from the poundshop. This model lasted 55 seconds!

This photo did make me laugh! His expression seems to say 'is that the best you can find, let's have another one and I'll see if I can break my record'.....

Going to cost you a bit at Poundland Jackie, have you got a good supply? :LOL: My daughter's dog always makes short work of any toys!

Where will you be doing your crossing to France from?

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
IMG_4545.jpg
looks like a nice Aire......did the trucker get lost or something :)

Haha. I've been holed up on an Industrial estate near Birmingham for the last two nights and about to have my third tonight. I thought I'd fooled him today by moving spaces but no, he's just pulled in close on the other side!

Must be French. :)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back