Living full time in a motorhome with luxuries for a kid (1 Viewer)

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I am planning next year buying a motorhome and living in it full time and staying in and around my local town as I work full time.

I get my 9 year old boy at the weekend and I dont want him not to stay with me anymore because I live in a motorhome and not a house.

My question is I plan on doing fun stuff and travels at the weekends but he will want access to his laptop and xbox at some point over the weekend.

Is it possible to run an xbox and 2 TVs in a motor home is not connected to live power?

I hope this does not seam like a daft question as I am trying to get my head around many of the function of a motorhome before I buy one next year. Ive been reading about solar panels, generators and luxury batteries but I am in now way an electrical engineer and have no understanding of watts, amps and all that other sparky talk, although I feel I need to learn it.

Thanks,
Chris

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Solar in a Geenock winter won't be of any use......you may need a dreaded generator for your needs.

PS 'luxury batteries' are usually called 'leisure ' batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Defiantly a fair point BrewerDave. As I am not a motorhomer or even a caravaner I am not sure whats out there for the world of the motorhome owner for weekend breaks, so I am thinking of how to cover my bases so he does not get bored rigid and not want to stay with his old dad in his new toy.

I would love to confidently say to him we are going to have a brill weekend of no tv and xbox but I am unsure whats out there, maybe that's also a part of my research I need to carry out before next year.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I dont even think solar panels will be use in Greenock in the summer Bobby22.
Are the silent generator I see on Amazon really that silent, or are they still noisy just quieter than loud ones?

Ahh I knew they were leisure, I think I still had luxury in me head based on the thread title :)

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I agree with @BreweryDave, if you want fun do something other than sitting on TV or game stations. The beauty of motorhomes is the freedom to explore and I bet there are loads of great places within a couple of hours drive from you. Im not suggesting taking him hiking but kayaking, mountain biking or just playing football on a beach he's never been to followed by a BBQ. He can then catch up on his computer or games in the evening whilst you enjoy a beer! look at the rally thread of the Falkirk wheel we went to in July, a great location and loads to do and I guess an hour or so from you?

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the answer to the original question is yes but it may need a bit of investment. I guess for an X box you need 240 volts so that means either a generator or an inverter. Given the OP will be using his MH as somewhere to stay during the week that suggests he will need power then as well. While a generator might be an answer I wonder, given where he might be staying during the week, whether a generator is practical? I think it would be worth looking at the Battery to Battery (B2B) charging option which would allow the vehicle alternator to give the batteries a good charge in a short space of time. This would be a lot easier to do if wild camping near houses than having a generator outside which could well get pinched if it didn't bring down a few complaints.

So my advice would be a B2B and an inverter. Plus of course solar and do everything to reduce power consumption but some things like blown air heating which will be needed in the colder months are also going to need power so it is always going to be a bit of a struggle and adding a third or even a fourth leisure battery if it can be done would be a good move.

Whilst it is not my place to give this sort of advice a static caravan with proper plumbing and a car plus a tent for adventurous summer weekends away with the lad might be a better solution for the OP's situation.:) A MH is for travelling and touring in, not static living.

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
On a serious note @clyle - we had the same issue. We were FT for 4 years and I was worried what to do when my son came to stay over - but to be honest he adapted, didn't seem to miss his gadgets , and genuinely seemed to enjoy the very different lifestyle his dad had chosen! Little things like flying a kite and knocking a tennis ball about were a bit of a revelation to him with no buttons to press! Plus I taught him how to cook ! Half a day killed by a visit to the shops having thought up a recipe and bought whatever them got him to cook it!
He will enjoy whatever you do with him as hopefully he will actually enjoy something different. Don't worry!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Thanks folks,
I will defiantly look at the extended battery as I myself will be living in it after a hard days work Monday to Friday and maybe a bit naive with the time and tasks involved in looking after a motor home (im sure I will learn) sitting down to some TV and movies stored on a USB stick to finish off the night.

As for my young son, it will be good to get him off his control pad for a weekend, we already go jogging, do local park run, swim and cycle, helping me clear out poop and maintain the motor home will be his new hobby, im sure the stories he tells his mum and class mates will make him the envy off every young boy.

On that note, what weekly tasks are involved in maintaining a full time motor home, I am hoping to buy 3-5 years old so hopefully not being throwing in at the deep end too quick.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Lots of wonderful things to do not far from you - kayaking is great but join a club to get proper instruction and do the BCU tests. The winter is good for kayaking as there is more water if you do river / white water. You might also want to travel to places for weekends, go gold panning, (Scottish) ruby hunting, hiking, cycling - lots and lots of stuff. I also agree with @Allan & Loren about the Falkirk Wheel - and don't forget the Antonine Wall is a short walk for the wheel.

As far as electric is concerned I think an EHU will be essential for you during the week.

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Hello clyle ,solar panels will work in Greenock in summer and give some charge in winter .We pass by your way on our way to Bute and have two young kids,we run our Wii on 12 v ,and wouldn't be with out it for the rainy days ,however also carry an inflatable kayak and fishing rods to keep them busy.
If you can't run an x box directly off 12 v a cheap inverter will make it work.A cheap aerial and free-view tv will get you all of your normal programmes and if you run your engine or travel to and from work in your van a b2b charger will keep your batteries topped up .
The key is having a good battery bank at least 2 or more ,living in Gods country and the weather it gets I'd go for a fully winterised van to make the winters more comfy.
Once you buy one You can try it all out at Inverkip marina ,a good place to spend the night for free and maybe catch a fish or two!

Good luck

Vlad

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Ive spoke to my kid, he is happy without his xbox if we are having adventures at the weekend, so thats sorted.

No chance of hook at up work unfortunately and the closest caravan park does not take motor home which is less than a mile from work.

During the week I plan to work and keep fit and relax at night with the TV on, I think I will defiantly have to learn about power and try to gain the most so I can live in some comfort.

Does solar panels, good batteries and a generator solve this or will taking the unit for a nice drive top up everything to make it work?

A rally sounds like a great idea and i really need to see what is out there, I need to go find these exciting things to do as they wont come to me.

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Solar in summer and either drive a bit every now and then or run your engine .There are loads of options
If you must buy a generator prepare for the flack!

Vlad

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am planning next year buying a motorhome and living in it full time and staying in and around my local town as I work full time.
Chris

Safe parking, insurance, an address, medical services and many other things mean you have to solve a lot of problems to full time.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi clyle and welcome to Motorhome fun, lots of advice on your original question, you don't have to be a electrician to sort things out, if you are going to go full timing there are a lot of questions to answer as you don't have your van yet , if you are full timing you will need to make sure you have a good pay load, if you are quite young you need to check that your driving licence covers you for the size of motorhome you buy.
Then you need to make sure you have adiquate solar panels and battery power, find a good local caravan/motorhome dealer and price having them fitted, chances are that a second hand van will have them fitted any way.
Keep asking questions it's better to ask them before you buy than after and find out that something is not quite right.

:welc:

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Safe parking, insurance, an address, medical services and many other things mean you have to solve a lot of problems to full time.

....But they are ALL solveable(y)
TBH - this forum will be the answer to most if not all of the potential problems and pitfalls - have a good old search around, especially on the Fulltimers section.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
What model/ type of motorhome are you considering? Where are you going to park it while you live in it? Might be an idea to look at www.motorhome365.com to get an idea of what other people do.
If it was me, first things I would consider are space and power. Lots of batteries, solar power and a generator. Large water capacity, you don't want to be driving to a tap every few hours, and comfortable seating.
If you aren't going to be driving miles every week, then I would consider an old American RV, as long as I could find somewhere to park it.
But that's just me.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome (y)as you must have gathered by now most/all problems are solvable :)Providing you have payload you can add all sorts to make full timing easier -Leisure batts are going to be a must but how many is the question :LOL:You can of course go for overkill and add more and more along with solar panels -The hard bit is knowing how many you need :DTo find the answer to that it is a question of suck it and see -try at least a couple of 110 amp hr batts and a couple of hundred w solar pans to start with -If you find that is not enough then add another battery or two and try that -if that is no good add another solar --Personally I would be looking at adding a extra water tank -you can go a night without a tv but running around for water every other day ?All sorts of things to ask /get over but don't go wasting money on stuff just in case you need them wait and see IF you need them (y)then get what you need ;)
terry

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Have you thought about approaching a local farmer and asking if you can pitch up on his land for an agreed rent? You could then maybe work out a way of getting electricity. Thinking about entertaining a child Largs is just down the road and of course Cumbrae over the water. There's a camp site on Cumbrae but unfortunately the return crossing is about £40 with a MH.

Upvote 0

Angelwitch

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
We full time and have found pubs and farms will let us hook up if the solar panel hasn't done its stuff for around £5.pubs have always let us empty the cassette before they open and we get water from fuel stations.

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
If you FT and don't have to work, its easy peasy! If however you need to be in a certain place for work, I would sugest (very much like suggested above) that you find a 'discreet' site, book on for a few weeks, get to know the owner, and discuss the benefits to him/her of having someone 'long term' - it always helps with the bills for them having a 'regular' especially during the quieter winter months;)

Important not to 'show out' and make yourself look FT with plant pots and the like:eek: Some do - god knows why - talk about attract attention:censored:

Obviously - you can go 'off-site' at weekends etc.(y) You'l usually get a reduced rate too - and even better if you can 'slide' yourself into being usefull such as offering to help out on site when youre not at work:whistle:

A quick google search threw this one up in your area - which is the kind of place I'd certainly think about. The benefit for you is facilities and a hook-up!
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
[QUOTE

A quick google search threw this one up in your area - which is the kind of place I'd certainly think about. The benefit for you is facilities and a hook-up!
Broken Link Removed[/QUOTE]

That site is not great but they do have a number of working men staying there in their caravans. We thought it was awful - badly maintained and the 'pitches' were on rough ground behind the farm. However for a single man it might be ok. They wanted to charge us £10 per person per night for basically a storage yard but they did have electrics and a good shower. It's quite a distance from Greenock though. There's a site at Skelmorlie that is quite basic but has nice views.

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Castle Semple at Lochwinnoch allows motorhome overnighting for free in their car park. There are loads of kid's activities going on there, a café and it's very pretty.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im thinking as I want to live in this unit I would want one with a made up double bed in the back and for the kid an over cab bed. I was looking at the 2008 type kontiki range.

I dont plan on doing much driving during the week as I plan to stay local to work but I would like to travel around in the weekend with my boy and discover new adventures and things to do.

I keep fit each morning so I would be getting showered at the local gym of a choice of 2 close by or getting showered in work.

Planning on taking bottled water to drink so I would really just need water for washing dishes and the toilet?

The power is a definite need lots of as I work on my laptop a lot and my main vice is TV.

I think the first year or so is going to educate me in what I need, like and can get away with not having but that will be part of the fun, 40 and starting out fresh.

There are from what I can see on maps lots to do, i just need to get out there and try living a new life. Weekday will be full with work and keeping fit, its the weekend I really need to make things happen.

There are lots of farm land in my area, I might inquire next time I see them when I am jogging past, if i can catch my breath.

Skermorlie is just down the road, I often jog past it. There is a small caravan park on the cloch road in Gourock but they dont do camper vans so the next place is Skermorlie.

I'm not sure ill be ready to take the small Scottish windy roads until I learn to drive something bigger than a Vauxhall.

This is great so many options to look at :)

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If I were doing a similar thing, I would also look for a quiet place to park up for weeks at a time with the view that I would also go away for the weekend. Water and electricity would be required for at least half the week during the winter as I think the faff of relying on bottled water and solar will become too much of a chore. Having a regular place might also help your son adapt to it and feel that he knows where you are rather than thinking of you in some unknown car park.

I would get a bike to use to get to work when the weather allows and for transport around your local areas. I wouldn't look at going on an adventure every weekend as it might lose the excitement but would aim for some options for continuity so a kayaking club or a local DA for the Camping and Caravan Club where your son might be able to make friends his own age and see them every so often at rallies etc may add to the fun.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back