Ear plugs: recommendations please. (1 Viewer)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I've never used ear plugs before but am getting more irritated by external noise on aires and campsites as I get older and less tolerant.

Do earplugs work ? What kind should I buy ? I only want them for use while in bed at night so are they comfortable to lie on ?

All recommendations gratefully received !

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
You can get ones that are moulded to your ears, so you know they'll fit perfectly. Any places that test your ears should be able to organise for you.

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
i used to have moulded earplugs for when riding motorcycle, they dont cut out all noises. we were told not to leave them in a long time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
My husband has slept in his with no problems......they're like a silicon rubber.
I don't suppose there are many that would cut out ALL noise, you'd certainly want to hear your alarm going off ;)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I don't think the moulded ones would be very comfortable to sleep in? Mine cut out specific frequencies (musicians plugs) and cost £160. Brilliant on stage, but I suspect the yellow foam industrials you buy in a jar containing many but costing little would do the sleepy thing just fine.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
My husband has slept in his with no problems......they're like a silicon rubber.
I don't suppose there are many that would cut out ALL noise, you'd certainly want to hear your alarm going off ;)
its your snoring, or maybe something else your good at,:rolleyes::rolleyes::whistle::)

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Try the snorestore Co. Uk or com. Lots to choose from and a fraction of the price of chemists or motorbike places. And yes they do work.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Eeyore,
How many of the yellow industrial type would you like, I realize that Two is the optimum to wear at any one time, for all the smarty pants out there/here (y)
East to acquire from work should you want to give them a go, contact me if you wish, take care.
Norman.

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Thank you very much everyone. I' ll call in at Specsavers hearing testing shop tomorrow and see what they can do. Given that any product that sells itelf as counteracting Spanish noise is likely to have to be super- efficient then I shall certainly go for a set of Soberano when we are there.

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Eeyore,
How many of the yellow industrial type would you like, I realize that Two is the optimum to wear at any one time, for all the smarty pants out there/here (y)
East to acquire from work should you want to give them a go, contact me if you wish, take care.
Norman.

Norman: that' s very generous of you. I'll have a look in town tomorrow but might get back to you.

Flamenca: I worried about that too but wonder, if I went to sleep with them in, would they be uncomfortable enough to wake me up ? Presumably the makers realise that many will use them to cut out night noises ?

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Mine cut out specific frequencies (musicians plugs) and cost £160. .

You've just solved a mystery for me ! I' ve often wondered why members of an orchestra don't go totally deaf with the noise going on all around them. I didn't think they could wear earplugs because of not being able to hear what they, or the rest, are doing. I didn' t know there were ear plugs that cut out specific frequencies. Thanks.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
This is the best Iv found for racing, but don't know if I could have them in all night.
Broken Link Removed

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
Try putting a couple of drops of olive oil in your ear canal then place a small wad of cotton wool in the entrance of your ear canal. Fit doesn't need to be too tight and don't push the cotton wool deep into your ear canal

The cotton wool is breathable so won't make your ear sweat and the olive oil will help condition the skin in your ear canal. The oil will also help soften any hard or compacted wax in your ear.

You may find just plugging the opposite ear is sufficient if you sleep largely on one side.

Be aware that plugging your ears will make you less able to hear alarm clocks going off, smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors going off etc.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i used to have to use them on certain jobs with my work. i found anything more than 3 or 4 hours and it gave me sore ears. worse when hot and tended to leave me with ear infections

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i used to have to use them on certain jobs with my work. i found anything more than 3 or 4 hours and it gave me sore ears. worse when hot and tended to leave me with ear infections

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I have the custom moulded ones from Ultimate Ear for motorcycle use:-

http://www.ultimateear.com

Although not sure how comfortable they would be to sleep an entire night in, may be better off with the disposable foam type?

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I hadn't noticed they have a "sleep plug":-

Broken Link Removed

Thanks...they looked just the job until I came to the price tag ! It doesn' t say whether the £75 plus cost of impression + £5 p&p is for one or more pairs.

I do have odd shaped ear canals which mean they need syringing as much as 6 monthly sometimes so advice well taken Big1 and Margaritaman.

If the rain stops today I' ll go and have a talk to the people in Specsavers.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
If, like me, you only sleep on one side, (in my case my right), I find my ipod or talk radio played into one ear, (my left) very quietly, and because your other ear is down on the pillow you don't hear anything else. I've often woken in the morning with earpiece still intact. Works for me anyway. Good luck.(y)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks...they looked just the job until I came to the price tag ! It doesn' t say whether the £75 plus cost of impression + £5 p&p is for one or more pairs.

I do have odd shaped ear canals which mean they need syringing as much as 6 monthly sometimes so advice well taken Big1 and Margaritaman.

If the rain stops today I' ll go and have a talk to the people in Specsavers.

Well, £75 would buy a lot of foam ear plugs! ;)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I'll have a word with @irv636, we used foam ones, custom moulded ones and ear muffs at our place of work and he never had any problem falling asleep anywhere (y)

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
during a prolonged stays in hospital this year and last used foam ear plugs (that you can rinse) with large cover earphones over the top.

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Thank you again everyone. I've just bought some wax Muffles from Boots and will give them a try tonight. Not really a fair test as we live in a very quiet area but I will at least find out if I can tolerate them

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I use Max Lite but why not buy a sample pack and then bulk buy the one that works for you.
Broken Link Removed

Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back