Murphy

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Shire Conversion
Exp
We are looking at a PVC and require one with an awning, not fussed if Fiamma or Thule, they tend to be corner roof mounted,
My question is can these awnings be slid across on their brackets to enable an air awning to be placed through the awning channel where as the left up right sits between the cab door and sliding door,
Noted on a lot of vans that the left end of the awning is on the edge of the sliding door,
Anyone had this issue and rectified ?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Had an awning from a prev MH which for the life of me we couldn't get to fit on my current PVC. It was the right length and height but always fouled on the sliding door. On mine the Fiamma canopy casing is directly in line with the left hand side of the slider and always caught the material. Sold it and now have a pop up day shelter from Quest which is the 'bees knees'.
Good luck in your search!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The brackets on my Fiamma awning could slide along the awning a bit if you drilled new holes through the awning rail. The limit would be how much leeway you have depending on where the brackets are fixed to the roof.

The left hand end of the awning on mine is directly above the rearmost edge of the passenger door. So it is already in the place where I think you want yours to be. I suspect most awning won't be far off otherwise they wouldn't cover the side door so any sliding needed shouldn't be too far.

But as above, how the awning copes with the side door opening is perhaps the biggest issue.

You can see how mine is fixed below. Note it could move backwards much further than I could move it forwards. There are also of course things inside the rail which would limit the adjustment. I can only suggest wind the awning out on a vehicle and have a peek inside and see what would be possible.

OI000037.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Think it depends which base van and which awning.
On my fiat base PVC the awning brackets are fixed to the roof rack fixing points and then there is some fore and aft movement. I would think that the fimma on mine would be in exactly the place u want the awning to go.
Hth

OP
OP
Murphy

Murphy

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Shire Conversion
Exp
Thanks all for your repays, very much appreciated,
Think I will need to take some step ladders with me when viewing vans, to ensure the flexibility in sliding the awning is there, if it's needed

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The brackets on my Fiamma awning could slide along the awning a bit if you drilled new holes through the awning rail. The limit would be how much leeway you have depending on where the brackets are fixed to the roof.

The left hand end of the awning on mine is directly above the rearmost edge of the passenger door. So it is already in the place where I think you want yours to be. I suspect most awning won't be far off otherwise they wouldn't cover the side door so any sliding needed shouldn't be too far.

But as above, how the awning copes with the side door opening is perhaps the biggest issue.

You can see how mine is fixed below. Note it could move backwards much further than I could move it forwards. There are also of course things inside the rail which would limit the adjustment. I can only suggest wind the awning out on a vehicle and have a peek inside and see what would be possible.

View attachment 73297
Interesting that you appear to have used an awning which is not the one made for a PVC, the correct one such as the Fiamma F65s has brackets that fix to the existing lugs on the roof, it also then sits on the roof and is flush with the side of the van. Was this intentional or did somebody not know what they were doing.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Interesting that you appear to have used an awning which is not the one made for a PVC, the correct one such as the Fiamma F65s has brackets that fix to the existing lugs on the roof, it also then sits on the roof and is flush with the side of the van. Was this intentional or did somebody not know what they were doing.
It is the factory fitted one! I guess they use this model so it leaves the fittings free for roof bars - which ours had when we got it although I subsequently took them off. Although it sticks out it doesn't make the vehicle any wider as the sides curve in towards the top. But I guess the F65 is a good model for after market fitting as there are no holes to drill in the vehicle.

Deleted User
Our autorail V-line came with factory fitted awning/sun canopy on and we have attached a Vango air tall drive awsy awning easily to it as per our avatar.
Previous pvc was a bespoke from Shire conversions and they added an awning/sun canopy, we never tried using a drive away with that van but we could have if wanted too. Depending on age of a pvc would hope any fixed awning/sun canopy would have been placed to allow use in conjunction with a full awning.

Lin :)

OP
OP
Murphy

Murphy

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Shire Conversion
Exp

View attachment 73297
What make of van is this out of interest?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@Milliemobile, my 2013 PVC which has a factory fitted Fiamma F65s canopy certainly doesn't appear to be installed with the option to fit an awning, in my opinion. I'm not saying there isn't something suitable out there just that what I had didn't work and I prefer my pop up.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You can fit a 2 bay awning as used on many caravans but you need to make sure that you get the correct one for the height.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@Milliemobile, my 2013 PVC which has a factory fitted Fiamma F65s canopy certainly doesn't appear to be installed with the option to fit an awning, in my opinion. I'm not saying there isn't something suitable out there just that what I had didn't work and I prefer my pop up.
Does it not have the two slots in the rail?
P8220001.JPG

Deleted User
On ours it just requires an additional awning fixing strip, sold independent to the awnings, which come in various fittings, one side sliding into the wind out canopy, on ours its a groove that it slides into. Then other side slides on the awning. Maybe not all wind out canopies come with the recess groove? Both of ours have it.

Lin :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
both fiamma and omnistor/thule canopies include an awning slot on the front edge. some 4mm some 6mm bead size

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
both fiamma and omnistor/thule canopies include an awning slot on the front edge. some 4mm some 6mm bead size

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back