Hello everyone - anyone travel with a cat? (1 Viewer)

C

Chris_s

Deleted User
We are Chris and Gordon and have been motorhoming foor about 3 years. Many years ago (over 30) we had a small Hillman 'camper'. The roof lifted and the back door dropped down to give adequate living space. Unfortunately after about 12 months we had to sell it as it was not sufficiently reliable as our only vehicle. About 3 years ago we managed to buy an old Volkswagon Transporter T4 and enjoyed 2 years of occasional trips (due to life circumstances that prevented us from doing more!). We sold the VW in order to buy our present motorhome, which is a PVC by Wildax. We chose their Constellation model as it most suited our needs and preferences and have enjoyed our first 7 months in it. This motorhome is getting much more use though, especially as we are now both retired and the only thing that really stops us is our cat. We used to take him with us but he got lost and was missing for 3 weeks before returning to the campsite from which he disappeared. He was all skin and bone with scars down one side. Until we can find a solution that keeps hm safe yet gives him some of the freedom to explore that he loves, he has to go to our local (and very high standard) cattery. He loves it there but the additional cost curtails our adventures. Midnight is about 15 years old and adopted us some 4 years ago. He has fully recovered and is a beautiful and loving animal. If anyone has any good suggestions, we would be pleased to hear them. He is not keen on being harnessed and on a lead although I am trying to 'train' him. Being a PVC we do not have lots of additional space especially when we have to take the cat carrier and litter tray.
Chris_s

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Welcome Chris, you are not far from me it seems ! I know there are a few here with cats that travel in their motorhomes and we have had serval campers with cats stay here on site. We thought one was lost but was found right beside the motorhome fast asleep in the sun.::bigsmile:
I'm sure the Funsters who travel with cats will be along soon. :thumb:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Hello Chris & Gordon,

First welcome to the funsters, I am a newbie too, and in fact I'm still waiting to buy (But that should be sorted in a few days)

I'm more of a dog person but I can understand how you feel about Midnight, after being lucky to find each other you don't want him going missing again do you ?

One solution that comes to mind, mainly because I have to do something for our dogs when we are on camp sites (They are big and sometime frighten other people and dogs) is to have a portable, light weight, easily erected fence.

I'm sure you can get such things, I have seen something similar used on road works etc. to stop people falling into holes ::bigsmile: but I have only just begun to think about it and haven't even Googled it yet.

It might be that I have to carry them on the roof, but for us that would be OK because mostly when traveling with the hairy monsters we will only be going short distances. I'm not sure if it would be an option for you but if you agreed I could PM you if I ever find anything suitable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Chris_s

Deleted User
Hi Losos
Many thanks for your offer to PM me with any suggestions - much appreciated.:Smile:

I have thought of using a windbreak and dog cage but not yet solved the problem of the space between the camper sills and the ground. Needless to say I am looking for relatively inexpensive solutions but I do need to keep the old fellow (Midnight - not Gordon) safe! On second thoughts wonder if the dog cage would work for Gordon as well? :whatthe::winky::winky::winky:::bigsmile::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
C

Chris_s

Deleted User
Welcome Chris, you are not far from me it seems ! I know there are a few here with cats that travel in their motorhomes and we have had serval campers with cats stay here on site. We thought one was lost but was found right beside the motorhome fast asleep in the sun.::bigsmile:
I'm sure the Funsters who travel with cats will be along soon. :thumb:

Hi Dylan
Unbelievably almost next door! We are possibly less than 10 miles from you. Unfortunately it was raining heavily and blowing a gale when Midnight went missing. We believe he sought shelter and then got stuck in somewhere and was only able to get free after losing most of his body weight - hence the injuries. You wouldn't believe it to see him now but we really thought we had lost him.

Perhaps we will call in and see you sometime.:thumb:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Hi and Welcome :welcome:

I travelled with my cat (buscuit) for 18 months throughout the UK,france, portugal and spain and found the best thing was to get a plank of wood, then put a corner on one end and attached it to the window (when parked obviously lol) so that she could come & go as she pleased.

It worked for me & the puss :thumb: she figured it out in a couple of days and if I hadn't put it out she use to cry at the window for it (even if the door was open)
She died some years ago (bless) and the site I am living on at the moments don't allow pets as it's a nature reserve :Sad:

Oh well, one day when I reture I will get another and possibly a dog too ::bigsmile:

Boo

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
When we had cats we often used to take them with us camping. They were fine in the caravan, they used to come back at meal times morning and evening and on the last day we put him/her into their travelling box first thing to stop them running off while we packed up.

Unfortunately we lost the last one because we were using a folding camper and she got out in the middle of the night and didn't return. We searched but couldn't find her, we were camped at a rally near some woods and think she may have been attacked by squirrels or something. We left our contact details with all the local houses, and contacted all the local rescue places, but never found her again. If I were to have another, I think I would use a biggish dog crate to give it plenty of room, with a litter tray inside, and not let it out to roam at all.

As Midnight is getting on in years I think that would be my solution.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi Dylan
Unbelievably almost next door! We are possibly less than 10 miles from you. Unfortunately it was raining heavily and blowing a gale when Midnight went missing. We believe he sought shelter and then got stuck in somewhere and was only able to get free after losing most of his body weight - hence the injuries. You wouldn't believe it to see him now but we really thought we had lost him.

Perhaps we will call in and see you sometime.:thumb:

Poor midnight how terrible for him.
Any time you are passing do pop in :Smile:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Traveling with cats

We travel with our 2 cats aged 13. We travel with them in a cat box and keep them inside for the first night on site, then we let them out during the day and they are fine, sleeping inside in the sun most of the day as cats do!! but we don't let them out in the evenings as they are both black and we can't see them. They have been traveling for about 4 years now and really seem to enjoy it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back