Dog proofing (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have always tucked throws in over our sofa seats. Never had a problem. However we are just back from a 17 night trip, mainly in Ireland, and our border collie ,Meg, has decided that it would be a good game at night to take the throws off of the seats and put them together on the floor. In the morning we find her curled up on one of the sofas. Any suggestions on how to secure the throws or what do other people do? TIA

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a set of loose covers then cover them with throws so if the throws come off there is still protection with the covers.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Forget it. She'll just treat it as a challenge. Far less effort to just give the sofas a good clean when you get home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Do you think she has taken a dislike to the throws themselves - too fleecy/furry/slippery /wrong colour etc ? Is it worth trying a throw in a different fabric and see if she accepts that ?

I made loose covers for our van by the " wrapping a parcel" method; dead easy and little actual cutting out. I do have a sewing machine however. Could you tuck the throws securely and then use kilt pins or- if you can still get them- nappy pins, to hold them all together on the cushions ?

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We have a retriever and he is welcome to any bit of floor space, but never allowed on the sofas.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We have always tucked throws in over our sofa seats. Never had a problem. However we are just back from a 17 night trip, mainly in Ireland, and our border collie ,Meg, has decided that it would be a good game at night to take the throws off of the seats and put them together on the floor. In the morning we find her curled up on one of the sofas. Any suggestions on how to secure the throws or what do other people do? TIA
Are you able to slide a quilt cover over the sofa seats. You could put them under the throws and if they're pulled off, the quilt will still be on for you. Just a thought :)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Are you able to slide a quilt cover over the sofa seats. You could put them under the throws and if they're pulled off, the quilt will still be on for you. Just a thought :)

Ditto. I bought a few duvet covers from charity shops, either double or king size, depending on seat sizes. Put back cushion and seat inside. Can put a throw over the top if you're posh and like matching seats!

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Ours sleep in the "garage" at night
I replaced the interconnecting door with a heavy mess grill that slides open
No "garage" on our first van so we used a folding cage

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Mine sleeps under the table. Definitely not allowed on the seats. Maybe get some collapsable boxes and place them on seats at night so there is no room left for the dog to jump up. If its smart it wont be long getting the message.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Don't have a dog myself, it just wouldn't fit in with my still serving as a single officer. I will one day, once I've done my bit for queen and country and don't have the commitments any longer :clap2:

I do on occasions however, take my favouritest dog with me. She's a fantastic Labrador and we're such good pals. Always use old fitted sheets to cover the sofas and chair ::bigsmile:

She's such good company to have around and loves me to bits. Ops I'm getting soppy :getmecoat:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Deleted User
I bought some fabric off ebay, it's semi waterproof, designed for making outdoor seat covers. Nige then made two covers for our front bench area(changed the foam too, used cot mattresses from Ikea as good size fit). The original seats are stored in the house. The bench is the dogs sleeping area but have tried sitting on it and comfortable enough, but much easier to move for access to storage than origins covers and no need to worry about mess. When not using the van we bring them in the garden and our chocolate lab loves laying out on her garden bench with one too :)
WP_20150716_007.jpg

Deleted User
Don't have a dog myself, it just wouldn't fit in with my still serving as a single officer. I will one day, once I've done my bit for queen and country and don't have the commitments any longer :clap2:

I do on occasions however, take my favouritest dog with me. She's a fantastic Labrador and we're such good pals. Always use old fitted sheets to cover the sofas and chair ::bigsmile:

She's such good company to have around and loves me to bits. Ops I'm getting soppy :getmecoat:
View attachment 73259 View attachment 73260 View attachment 73261 View attachment 73262 View attachment 73263
Awe she's a real cutie, how do you ever manage to give her back?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Awe she's a real cutie, how do you ever manage to give her back?
It was difficult that's for sure, but her mum was another officer so the dog would spend the entire day at my feet and then away with me whenever we could :)

While her mum was expecting their second baby, I'd walk the dog every day too. They then moved to another camp on posting. Her mum said the dog laid in the downstairs toilet for 2 whole days and wouldn't come out. Think the dog missed me too :)

Deleted User
It was difficult that's for sure, but her mum was another officer so the dog would spend the entire day at my feet and then away with me whenever we could :)

While her mum was expecting their second baby, I'd walk the dog every day too. They then moved to another camp on posting. Her mum said the dog laid in the downstairs toilet for 2 whole days and wouldn't come out. Think the dog missed me too :)

Awe I'm sure you will meet many more, our eldest two used to go to work with Nige before he retired, Biskit used to potter off and pick a new friend on every posting, would then just ignore Nige most of the day :)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
You have a Border Collie,Irnbru appears to have one,and says."If it's smart" It is not hard to be smarter than me,so it may come as no surprise to you all,we are on our Third Border Collie,as it trains ME! So,no stress,just fit in with what they do_Our old girl is "Leaking wee"if surprised at times,and has by her own choice,stopped coming up on the settee and also not getting up on the bed at night when i am asleep and trying to push me off.
What it is trying to tell you,is that you would be better off,moving the TV,to where you can see it from the cab seats,problem solved. Do get the most out of your pet,we rescued this one as we are to old to have a puppy,when this one goes.............
Tea Bag

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I don't know if you can buy something similar in the UK but over here there is a product you can buy that you spray over the furniture and it is supposed to stop animals climbing on it.
Then put a throw or similar on the floor so the dog can sleep there

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
....... there is a product you can buy that you spray over the furniture and it is supposed to stop animals climbing on it.

Check the contents first: you're all sleeping in a small space, possibly on the seats you've sprayed. I'd want to check there is nothing harmful in the spray before breathing it in all night. It was presumably designed for use in bigger rooms to keep dogs off sofas and chairs.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.

View attachment 73259 View attachment 73260 View attachment 73261 View attachment 73262 View attachment 73263

Think we must have her brother @ppbear

We did have a problem with him jumping up on the furniture at night but after a few nights of being chained to one of the front seats he decided it was no longer worth it.:D
STN00010429.jpg

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Have the dogs got comfortble beds? Ours never sleep on the side sofas, they have memory foam mattresses and plenty of room on the floor for them to stretch out. (This was one of our needs when we bought the van)
The Beagle always jumps on the bed and lays down at the bottom, just like he does at home, at about 6pm

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Any 'loose' covers that can be pulled off by the dog, or throws, will always end up on the floor when a 'clever' dog is around and wants them off!:D

I made a set of fitted covers that go over the seats and are secured with velcro etc to keep them in place, it saves the worry of the original covers underneath getting damaged/dirty by the dogs and obviously the 'new' covers can be removed for washing etc.

As for keeping the dogs off the sofa etc ... to one of our dogs 'happiness' is lots of cushions on the sofa when travelling so that she can snooze or look at the world going by as we travel!
Romy in camper.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

when you are through doing your bit to protect us, you deserve the love of a good dog

I have changed the seat bases and put them in zipped covers. on previous vans where this was impractical I made tubes of fleece material that slid over. much easier to keep clean

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Why not turn the cushions over. you could Velcro a removable washable cover to the underside and leave in place until you return home. Just flip the cushions over each night for the dog.

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our previous Rapido we had a sliding door between lounge and bedroom, during a thunder storm in Portugal our Bull Lurcher became nervous and took the sliding door off its rails to be with us, in our new Rapido we don’t dare close the sliding door in case it happens again so he sleeps with us. Can you fit a portcullis to a Motorhome?

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
We pitched next to a Dutch motorhome once. He had cordonned off the square in front of his van with red and white plastic tape, about knee height. His 2 Bitzers had been trained from puppies not to cross this tape, whatever was going on outside it. They didn't either, not that we saw. They were not on leads inside the square so could have left at any time.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
we have two border collies, one is called Meg. They are not allowed on the furniture at home or in the mh. They do come on our bed at home in the morning but only on SWMBO side as I don't like them on my side. They're not allowed on the bed at all in the mh.
Border collies are intelligent enough to understand complicated rules like this

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back