35 mm film scanner (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I've got a few hundred 35 mm films (mixture of b/w & colour negs mostly, and a few slides).
It's time to digitise this lot and I'm hoping for a recommendation as to what scanner I should obtain.
When I was really into 35 mm I seem to recall that to match the resolution potential of a 100 ASA film you needed to be able to scan at 20,000 dpi. Did I mis-read, mis-understand, or dream this figure as all the scanners I see appear to be rated at 4 to 5000 dpi ?
Can anyone recommend a 'good' scanner ?

thanks

Allen

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Allen

I had the same idea a few weeks ago and spent time trying to find a reasonably priced film scanner on eBay. I found this to be a very confusing exercise as every scanner seems to have good reviews and bad depending on which site you looked at (I googled each make/model before deciding whether to bid). I eventually got an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo for £35 and I have to say that I am very pleased with it.

Having said that, at this stage I am purely archiving the films, using the basic automatic set-up. The scanner does have the ability to restore colours and remove dustmarks but I haven't used these functions yet, mainly for reasons of speed (it takes roughly a minute per picture on average once you take into account loading, scanning and unloading of each strip).

Hope this helps. If you want any technical details, let me know.

Phil

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
I bought a Veho VFS 004 from Amazon a few months ago.
Cost about 60quid.

Works very well, will do negatives and slides.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00190WB2K]Veho VFS-004 5MP 35mm Negative & Slide Scanner: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

cheers

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have an Epson Perfection 3170 which I've used to scan 35mm slides with good results . .. £175 - £200

review here

Link Removed

A 35mm slide from 197? ..

My first trip to Switzerland,

MG Midget and Blacks Good Companions tent

Link Removed

Last edited:
S

Shubberdog

Deleted User
Hi I had the same idea a couple of months ago, but I also wanted to reduce the size of the pile of my motorhome mags. by scanning the bits I wanted to keep to CD ROM and throwing away the adverts. I saw this as a chance to get a new scanner as my old one gave up about six months ago, and She Who Must Be Obayed thought this a great idea as she could imagin this growing pile of mags. going over night. Well I went for the Canon Canoscan 4400F, which is a flatbed scanner but can also scan negatives and slides. I got it from Argos for about £68 it is also sold on line by "7day shop". I have been very happy with the results

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we had a flatbed scanner with neg scanning facility......never did work out how to use it.:Doh:
stuck all the negs back in the airtight/lightproof box and put it away again.:Blush:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I've got a few hundred 35 mm films (mixture of b/w & colour negs mostly, and a few slides).
It's time to digitise this lot and I'm hoping for a recommendation as to what scanner I should obtain.

Can anyone recommend a 'good' scanner ?
I have one of these scanners and this link gives you very comprehensive detail about it.

Acer Scanwit 2720s Review

But..........be prepared for a very long time consuming job!
They do an excellent job, but i've given up the idea of digitising every slide and am just selecting those i want to keep.

I will have mine up for sale if you can hang on a bit longer!

C

Clausentum

Deleted User
Scanning Slides & Negatives

Initially (some years ago) I used a SCSI Nikon Scanner with Autofeed adapter. Then after dear old Microsoft starting issuing Service Pack Upgrades - chaos. Wrote to Nikon, who advised me about Vuescan software, they took on the responsibility to continue with the software updates.

BUT then I developed a cunning plan! As I had a Macro lens, why not just connect camera to computer and using the control interface, recopy the slides. This is so much faster and images can be corrected through photo software and given relevant file keywords etc.

Some years ago I also transferred old cine-film to video, simply by filming the projected image - works well.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Some years ago I also transferred old cine-film to video, simply by filming the projected image - works well.

.. it's how the pirates copy films in cinemas ..

you can tell it's a pirate when someone stands up during the film .. :roflmto::roflmto:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Maplins had a nice looking scanner on offer last week for under £100

artona

Free Member