LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Typical, we are just north of Florence and about to head back and we've got a problem.
Went up into the mountains today and stopped in a little village for half an hour or so. When we came to leave the engine only started on a couple of cylinders, very rough. Gave the throttle a good blip and pulled away and the engine started running smooth as ever. Done 20 miles now and no problem, but of course the check engine light came up and won't clear. Any ideas?
3 ltr, egr blanked and cheated.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Could have been an air intake problem, depends how high you were up the mountains, if the problem has gone the engine light will clear itself.

Eric

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Start and stop the motor 5 times - it will probably clear the warning light. Worked for me and a few others I've mentioned it to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Started and stopped it five times but light stayed on. Oh well I thought, started it again and pulled away from the campsite. Within 100 yards on a steep climb it cleared. Done 200 miles today and so far all good. Thanks all.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Mine came on yesterday when returning home. Stopped and checked the usual suspects but nothing amiss so carried on. No performance change but light and message still on "Check Engine" I've read about there being a code that would diagnose what the actual fault is but haven't got access to the kit to do that. Have only started it once since then when I took it back to storage today so maybe the "5 restarts" will be enough, will try that at the weekend.

Anyone else have any other experiences ?

FYI: this is a 150ps 2.0ltr variable turbo version

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Typical, we are just north of Florence and about to head back and we've got a problem.
Went up into the mountains today and stopped in a little village for half an hour or so. When we came to leave the engine only started on a couple of cylinders, very rough. Gave the throttle a good blip and pulled away and the engine started running smooth as ever. Done 20 miles now and no problem, but of course the check engine light came up and won't clear. Any ideas?
3 ltr, egr blanked and cheated.
Your throttle valve could already have damage from pre blanking and or water ingress. It will probably clear itself

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think in my EGR thread I still got an engine light on occasion after blanking despite having cleaned the throttle valve.
It was water ingress in the electrical part that was goosing it.
I changed the rubbish Whaler unit for a Pierburg and it has been fine since

CA_06151512082252-L.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Any 'fault' that could be either permanent or temporary is noted by the ECU. The ECU will wait until it has logged a number of fault occurrences before lighting a dashboard indicator. The number that have to be logged before an indication is given depends on the importance assigned to the particular fault. The ECU is also capable of logging an engine start, run, then stop throughout which the fault previously logged has not occurred. The ECU will reset the fault count after a certain number of successful 'start/run/stop' events have been achieved. The importance of the particular fault being counted can be used to determine how many have to happen before reset. The ECU is performing this miracle continuously and on most occasions reset will occur before the fault count brings on a warning light. Sometimes the fault light illuminates and some sort of intervention (repair) is required.

It's worth knowing that most fault warnings mean something has happened that affects emissions. In particular the ultimate fault warning - limp mode - does not exist to reduce the possibility of engine damage. It exists to force a visit to your tame van fixer because your engine emissions are excessive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back