First motorhome - the search continues (1 Viewer)

Velorum

Free Member
Aug 16, 2015
Ruscombe
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Having narrowed down our search criteria to a good condition Peugeot Symphony (we like the size and layout) and looked at a few that have been a bit rough or had too high mileages , Mrs Velorum spotted the one below and has arranged to go and look at it at the weekend.

I have a list of questions including service history / cambelt and our noses are fine tuned to damp problems from the many boats that we have owned - we will do a test drive too.

The price is of course higher as its a dealer - though there is always scope for haggling when you are a cash buyer of course and there will be a warranty. Swings and roundabouts....

Views / comments?

Does anyone rate this dealer? (I hope that it is permissible to ask such questions here - if not then hopefully a moderator will remove!)

Broken Link Removed

Cheers
Ian

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
And don't fall for the usual "someone else is viewing it later and they are really interested" to try and put the pressure on you to buy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Velorum

Velorum

Free Member
Aug 16, 2015
Ruscombe
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks folks

Unless rough this seems to be near enough the price that dealers are asking for them

The last one I looked at at a dealers was £1380. The lips of the rear arches had begun to delaminate and go rusty as had the rear section of the offside sill. Specs of rust around the bodywork, some broken fittings inside and over 100K on the clock. Cambelt last done 7 years ago. He wouldn't budge below £1270. Not that I would have been that keen if hed dropped substantially more.......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Velorum

Velorum

Free Member
Aug 16, 2015
Ruscombe
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Can't help with the dealers I'm afraid, but I did find this:

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/news/30747-2013-awards-pre-owned-van-dealers-and-manufacturers

Good luck with the haggling :)

Thanks!

Well, they appear to have won awards!

I fully accept that there is going to be a significant mark up with a dealer, they need to make a living and cover the overheads after all - its all about getting it down to a reasonable amount I guess. At least there is some recourse after if things go wrong, there is little with a private sale.....

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Try to haggle but don't give your warranty away or even part of it. We had ours back three times with lists of jobs to be rectified, some admittedly they wouldn't have found on a normal PDI.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Velorum

Velorum

Free Member
Aug 16, 2015
Ruscombe
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Had a good look at it today

No rust anywhere, new exhaust system, no hint of damp problems inside. Seemed as though its been well looked after. Had a test drive and the drivetrain felt spot on.

Did a deal on price that included a new MOT, full service, new cambelt, check of all systems, 12 months tax and a warranty.

Looking forward to picking it up in a week and halfs time

Thanks for all the advice folks

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks!

Well, they appear to have won awards!

I fully accept that there is going to be a significant mark up with a dealer, they need to make a living and cover the overheads after all - its all about getting it down to a reasonable amount I guess. At least there is some recourse after if things go wrong, there is little with a private sale.....

With a genuine private sale you have money in bank to cover future problems...just make sure you get it checked out properly....private every time if not buying new

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
With a genuine private sale you have money in bank to cover future problems...just make sure you get it checked out properly....private every time if not buying new
My thoughts as well, but looks as if he's bought it now, so good luck to him at least if it's their first buy they will have a warranty to fall back on.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, looks a nice clean vehicle and hopefully it won't suffer from the damp problems some of the more boxy MHs are prone. I can only suggest giving it some local trips and see if any problems arise.

Then when it is running to your satisfaction, load up and head for the hills, be they in Scotland, Wales, France or wherever!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Velorum

Velorum

Free Member
Aug 16, 2015
Ruscombe
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Here is an update - I guess more for the benefit of new folk searching through archived threads than anything else

We picked the van shown in my opening post up from Countrywide motorhomes near Ringwood yesterday

They went through all of the paperwork in detail - FSH, every invoice since new, handbooks for everything, habitation check (inc damp readings), MOT (no advisories), and invoice from last week for full service, cambelt and 12m tax. All presented in a canvas briefcase

Then one of the staff talked us through every aspect of the van and its equipment demonstrating that it all worked etc answering any questions we had - they had included a mains hook up, hose and toilet chemicals. It had all been valeted thoroughly and looked immaculate inside and out. I am certainly not used to this level of service from a motor dealer even when buying cars that are more expensive than this. Overall an excellent experience

The Symphony drove faultlessly during the 60+ mile journey home

We are off for a one night 'test' camp at Oxford on Friday night so that we can figure out what else we need to kit it out with

We are planning to get a few short breaks in this year but next spring we will begin in earnest - plans have begun for Holland early in the year and Norway later on, fingers crossed

OK, we could have bought cheaper privately but this way suited us and our circumstances at the moment

Cheers
Ian
:)

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Congratulations
Sounds like a good dealer.
Private or trade as long as you are happy thats all that counts.
Enjoy you short break

Mel

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Everyone's different and you've done it your way,you've bought a great van ,been talked through the workings and have the peace of mind that a warranty gives.
What more could you want except the open road and good weather.

Enjoy your van !

Vlad

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Lovely van. I had a 1998 for a couple of years with the old 2.5 turbo engine..Never let me down but the old tin worm got into rear wheel arches and around rear spring hangers..Good idea to have it rust proofed if your keeping it. BUSBY:D:D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back