Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all

My other half and I have just put aside years of dithering (and saving!) and bought a new motorhome which we pick up in mid September :). We got a quite unbelievable deal with a £7k discount off RRP and even other dealers told me to bite the dealers hand off at that price!!

We had an old caravan a few years ago which we had sort of inherited but didnt really have anything suitable to pull it with but we really loved getting away from it all with our own 'home from home' when we did use it.
We have also toured by motorcycle for our main holiday most years for the last 20 years or so but as we get older we found we wanted more comfort without giving up the freedom of stopping pretty much where we like.
Putting together both the above a motorhome seemed the perfect answer!!

We intend to spend most of our time off grid with the odd night every 3-4 days on a CL or site to empty tanks and fill up on water so have ordered a second battery and a solar panel.

I'm a keen landscape photographer so being able to park very near the location will be a real benefit for getting shots during the 'golden hour'

We are both unbelievably excited to be proper tour-ists and please excuse the avalanche of stupid questions I'll probably ask you all in the future!

michpiggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
West lancashire
Funster No
MH
Elddis advante 285
Exp
2 and 1/2 years of owning a motorhome.... 12 years owning a touring caravan
Great news, we too have just put a deposit down for our first motorhome.

Exciting times ahead.

Enjoy.

Michelle

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
hi.gif
and a warm welcome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome, you might need a second toilet cassette too, and if it is a SOG one you will have more options for emptying it - not that I am suggesting tipping it down drains!

Just remember there are some (a lot of?) places in the UK where wild camping is seriously discouraged, for example Dartmoor near where I live. This doesn't mean you can't get away with it but you need to be careful. Scotland is probably the main exception and given where you live and the potential for landscape photography there I guess you will be heading that way. :) But like plenty of others and we will be off there two weeks tomorrow France is very welcoming to MHs with a network of aires, many free or at most a few euros. This also applies to many other European countries and if you want sunshine for your photography in December then it just has to be Spain!

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Welcome, you might need a second toilet cassette too, and if it is a SOG one you will have more options for emptying it - not that I am suggesting tipping it down drains!

Just remember there are some (a lot of?) places in the UK where wild camping is seriously discouraged, for example Dartmoor near where I live. This doesn't mean you can't get away with it but you need to be careful. Scotland is probably the main exception and given where you live and the potential for landscape photography there I guess you will be heading that way. :) But like plenty of others and we will be off there two weeks tomorrow France is very welcoming to MHs with a network of aires, many free or at most a few euros. This also applies to many other European countries and if you want sunshine for your photography in December then it just has to be Spain!

You can wild camp in tents on Dartmoor but I guess they don't want MH traipsing all over the place, plenty of car parks about though, do they patrol them?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can wild camp in tents on Dartmoor but I guess they don't want MH traipsing all over the place, plenty of car parks about though, do they patrol them?
You can only camp on Dartmoor out of sight of a road, which somewhat rules out MHs. Of course you could slide into a remote car park at last light and you might and probably would get away with it but you could also get the late night knock on the door from a Ranger and a lie-in the next morning might be curtailed!

OP
OP
Big Nick

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp

Hi DBK, many thanks for the input

The toilet front is a bit of a mystery to be honest. When we caravanned we only used the onboard loo for..... er....(ahem!) number 1 visits and used the site loos for the other!
Not really sure how to work out our daily 'output' when we are off site!!

I guess it's just wait and see on the wild camping front as well. I am extremely respectful of the countryside so will be paying particular attention to where I stop for the night to try and not cause inconvenience to local people. I'll probably get the Britstops book and I know there's lots of stuff on the internet about locations you can stop as well

I live in North Yorkshire and see loads of mh's parked up during the night and haven't heard of anyone being moved on around here by park rangers, the council or the police etc but I suppose maybe it does happen here and elsewhere. I'd be interested to hear from those who have been to try and avoid what they'd done.
I don't mind an early morning knock though as I'm usually up by 7am and a lot earlier if out with the camera!

Really looking forward to getting up in the Highlands/Skye with the mh and my camera gear

We bought a Bailey Autograph after looking at loads of different layouts and makes and researching hours and hours on the Internet, we didn't think we could afford one but got lucky!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the best investment you can make towards your motorhoming journey is to subscribe here. the discounts available to members very soon cover the £10 a year subs

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the best investment you can make towards your motorhoming journey is to subscribe here. the discounts available to members very soon cover the £10 a year subs

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have an afternoon to waste then you could spend it looking on here for all the threads about what could be loosely (no pun intended) caled threads on toilet usage and etiquette. Points of view range from using the bushes whenever possible and a spray to flush it to just doing what comes naturally and emptying more often (our approach). And then you can go off into the realms of what do you add to the cassette - from chemicals which can kill whole ecosystems if poured down the drain, bio laundry liquids (our choice) to a more "commando" approach using nothing.

I can only suggest experimenting. Hours of (relatively) harmless fun to had!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the top tip i can offer regarding plastic toilets is to polish the internal surface using good quality car polish. best done when its brand new and topped up at intervals. prevents too much "product" sticking to the bowl

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back