emptying tanks (1 Viewer)

derek hendry

Free Member
Feb 20, 2009
Sunderland
Funster No
Exp
6 months
This is my first year in motorhoming so am really green. We bought it last october and have been working on it to suit us. Its a Ci Riviera 56. Had a few problems like understanding the control panel, what leds are what etc.

The main problem i have is emptying the onboard waste water and toilet tanks. We went to a site that had a motorhome service point but was only for waste water and i did not really know how to use it, there was a section on concrete with a solid drain cover, not sure if you had to lift this, along the side was other open drains but you would have needed to have a pipe or the likes.

My question is how do people empty the on board tanks, do they use the caravan type waste removal tanks and transfer them to one of them, if so how, can you buy pipes that connect them to the tanks, like i say i have not got a clue

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi derek and welcome.

i would have thought you will have a cassette type toilet on a eurovan.

i dont know of any that have an onboard fixed tank.

you empty it at the ELSAN point...usually an open manhole or sometimes a toilet just for the purpose.

could be totally wrong of course as i dont know your van.

for the waste water just drive over the cover or grating and open the tap....dont forget to stand back.

john.

Last edited:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi Derek and welcome.

I can only speak as I find. I have a US fifth wheel which utilisess 3" drain pipes for both Black and Grey waste water. It is simply a question of driving up to the "dump station", attaching the appropriate hose, lifting the manhole cover and then Hey Presto !!!!::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Hi,

You always have to empty the toilet at a designated chemical loo disposal point, any reputable site will have one. In France most aires have them as well.

Re the waste water, if it is a motorhome service point just drive over it. If there are drains / channels just open your valve and let it drain. There may be a manhole cover to lift off first, you will have to judge from the individual service point.

If there isn't a motorhome service point then its more difficult. We always carry a large bucket so that in emergency we can drain into the bucket and then carry the bucket to a suitable drain (eg not all caravan club sites have proper motorhome service points so you need something to carry the waste to a normal caravan waste water drain)

There is much discussion about whether you should drain water into roadside drains. You shouldn't but I suspect that quite a few do!

OP
OP
D

derek hendry

Free Member
Feb 20, 2009
Sunderland
Funster No
Exp
6 months
Thanks for the replies, both the toilet and waste tanks are on board and as such dont come off the vehicle, they have a handle that slides and allows the tanks to empty.

the site i was at recently had a motrohome service point but was only for waste water, so that side easilly sorted i guess but the toilet side is more awkward.

As for using drains, i think they are supposed to be only for rain water etc and separate to sewage , not 100% sure on this one.

I think what i will have to do is get one of those under the caravan waste receivers to empty the onboard tanks so i can use the chemical toilet points on the sites.

Thanks for the welcomes as well, much appreciated, this looks like a great website:thumb:

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Hi,

There is much discussion about whether you should drain water into roadside drains. You shouldn't but I suspect that quite a few do!

I thought it was ok. It is after all just dirty water from washing or washing up. No different to sink at home.
Toilet would be different though.
Of course I may be wrong.
At one site we stayed they told us just to empty the grey down the drain at the side of the road (on site though I should add)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Road drains are for storm water that usually goes into a stream, nearby river or a reservoir .. for that reason you shouldn't put grey down them..

Grey from your home ( along with the black) go's to the sewage plant, not the road drain..

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I thought it was ok. It is after all just dirty water from washing or washing up. No different to sink at home.
Toilet would be different though.

My next door neighbour was told to move his dishwasher drain pipe from the water run-off drain into the grey water drain - apparently it's "illegal" (local regulation perhaps?) to put washing up water into the roadside drains.

Funnily enough we had a "heated" discussion with a Dutchman at a campsite in Portugal earlier this year because he thought we SHOULD be putting out grey water down the roadside drain and that the provided grey water disposal point was "unhygienic". :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
when i said 'guilty m'lud' i meant for grey water...not black, cant get the big lumps through the grate...:ROFLMAO:

as i posted once before, many small campsites encourage emptying grey water into the hedgebottom.....still find its way into watercourses in time.:Doh:

the water companies encourage using bath/washing up water to water flowerbeds/lawns etc in times of drought.....double standards or what?

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
the water companies encourage using bath/washing up water to water flowerbeds/lawns etc in times of drought.....double standards or what?

Good point, well made

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

hmm .. watering flower beds is a lot different from putting it straight into a river or reservoir, long before it reaches the water table the nasties are filtered out..

On a CL we were asked to put the grey in the hedgerow but in no circumstance to put it in the nearby drainage ditch as that went into a local pond and would kill the wildlife.. .. On our present CL we were asked to do the same.. which is great, no lugging grey, piped into the hedge..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back