Our first long trip... A brief report (1 Viewer)

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
Well, as the title says, my daughter and I have just got back from our first long trip in Charlotte, our almost 30 year old Renault Trafic Autosleeper.

During that trip, a two week mini tour of Scotland, we took in the last night of a Funster rally at the Falkirk Wheel, wild camped in some beautiful locations, stayed in a friend's field, stayed at a couple of britstops and stayed on a couple of sites too.

I'm going to try and do a proper blog thingy about it all when I'm not quite so tired (lots of driving and then first day back at work today) but I know that some of the people we met at the rally will be wondering how we got on.

Alltogether, we did just over 2000 miles and only had one minor problem with the van: the exciter wires on the alternator came loose or there's a break in one wire, but a bit of a wobble and some duct tape worked for a temporary fix :D

Here are just a few pics to give you a little taster of our adventure. There are many more which will go in my blog when I suss out how ;)

image.jpg
bonny Scotland!

image.jpg
Falkirk Funsters

image.jpg
Not a bad place to spend the night ;)

image.jpg
Quite nice here too (y)

Apart from a fair bit of driving and sleeping, we saw loads of nature, met old friends and made new ones, saw the Highland Games on Skye, visited a museum, did a load of fishing and, oh yes....

Climbed Ben Nevis!!
image.jpg
Which isn't bad going for a six year old :D

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Look forward to reading your blog CandC Well done!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
30 year old Renault Trafic Autosleeper.

And you've had at least as much fun as in a brand new £100000 MH. In fact one dodgy wire is nothing compared to what some new vans experience.

It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it.

Our almost brand new 12 year old MH flew through it's MOT today ready for the meet on Thu.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Glad you had such a great time, and amazing that your 6-year old made it to the summit of Ben Nevis - well done her! You must be very proud. (y)

Mike

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
sounds like you have had a fantastic time colin... im not surprised Cheyenne made it up nevis , she has far too much energy :LOL::LOL:..
pleased your back safely and the van ran well..
take care the pair of you..
ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CandC

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
Look forward to reading your blog CandC Well done!
Thank you... It could be a day or two before I get started though :)

And you've had at least as much fun as in a brand new £100000 MH. In fact one dodgy wire is nothing compared to what some new vans experience.

It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it.

Our almost brand new 12 year old MH flew through it's MOT today ready for the meet on Thu.
That's so true and the beauty of an older van is that it's less scary to have a go at fixing it yourself as you don't have all that fancy ecu rubbish getting in the way of a quick fix :D Congrats on the MOT pass. Have a great time at the meet (y)

Glad you had such a great time, and amazing that your 6-year old made it to the summit of Ben Nevis - well done her! You must be very proud. (y)

Mike
Thanks Mike, I am indeed a very proud daddy! I'll be printing several photos of our day on the Ben for her to take into school :clap2:

Well done the wee lassie, she is easily an honorary Heilanderess (for sassenachs, that is a female highlander) and as such qualifies to wear a kilt ! Haste ye back ! (y)
Thank you: she's half Scottish (my side) and when we watch the rugby she cheers for "the blue team". We will be back and next trip I would like to share some of the quieter bits of the Cairngorms with her :smiley:

sounds like you have had a fantastic time colin... im not surprised Cheyenne made it up nevis , she has far too much energy :LOL::LOL:..
pleased your back safely and the van ran well..
take care the pair of you..
ta andy

yes Andy, we had a truly wonderful time! You're so right about her having too much energy :rofl: For the first half of the ascent, she was going ahead of me, turning round to wave at me, then telling people, "my daddy is so slow!"

As soon as we got back down, she was SKIPPING along the road back to the camp site and riding a bike the very next morning :Eeek: I couldn't believe it! Yes, an amazing achievement for one so young.

Thank you all for your interest and kind wishes,
Colin.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Looking forward to reading your blog. Hope you had lots of fun here in sunny Scotland :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back