LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Are the ramps on the ferry from Plymouth and Poole leval for getting on and off. Have just come back from Jersey in the car and the ramp was like going up a mountain, ok in the car but thought if we had the camper I would be bottoming out.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You will be fine from Plymouth. I have seen monster MHs with massive overhangs get on and off without problem. Jersey has massive tides so I guess if you catch them wrong the ramp could be steep - and there were Spring Tides over the weekend so the range would have been bigger than normal.

Hadn't considered before having to consult a tide table before getting a ferry. :)

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
If you five on at an angle i.e. one wheel at a time I always find it mounts ferry ramps much better than trying to meet it square on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What like is it getting on the ferries at Dover. I've already damaged my rear by bottoming out and dint want to make it worse.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have also never had problems at Dover, and we have a massive overhang. Plymouth also no problems. In fact the only ferry that was a bit dicey was the Isle of Wight ferry ramp at Southampton. Had to take that one very slowly indeed.

LaMB

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Boston
Funster No
MH
Frankia i 640 SD
Exp
Since 2012
I have in the past had them move the ramp to a 'reasonable' position before I would attempt to drive over it. They don't seem to like to bother to get the correct angle, but when you are holding up the loading they soon get it done.

I had an occasion when a ramp was badly angled, and we caught the ground, the guy was quite arsy with me at the time when I complained, but apologised when we were dis-embarking. As they tend to load us with the LGV's, which have better clearance, they don't realise what damage can be caused to our 'lower' vehicles.

So my advice is, if you are not happy, get it adjusted.

Martin

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
What like is it getting on the ferries at Dover. I've already damaged my rear by bottoming out and dint want to make it worse.
Sorry to hear about your rear, was it bruised? :whistle:

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Cheers guys, if you see a long tailback it will be me having a standoff with the ferry man, getting him to lower it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a mate of mine bent the towbar on his van loading at Portsmouth. the van had a huge overhang behind rear wheels though. ferry company couldnt care less

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have in the past had them move the ramp to a 'reasonable' position before I would attempt to drive over it. They don't seem to like to bother to get the correct angle, but when you are holding up the loading they soon get it done.

I had an occasion when a ramp was badly angled, and we caught the ground, the guy was quite arsy with me at the time when I complained, but apologised when we were dis-embarking. As they tend to load us with the LGV's, which have better clearance, they don't realise what damage can be caused to our 'lower' vehicles.

So my advice is, if you are not happy, get it adjusted.

Martin

How do they adjust the ramp angle. The ship side is governed by the height of the water so is there some way of adjusting the dockside. Just wondering as we have a very low slung unit.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
How do they adjust the ramp angle. The ship side is governed by the height of the water so is there some way of adjusting the dockside. Just wondering as we have a very low slung unit.

Initially a linkspan was a ramp that was attached to the pier at one end and was suspended above the water at the other. The height above the water was controlled either by hydraulic rams or cables, these types of linkspans were less well designed for the various conditions of the tide, wave and current and so were superseded by underwater tank linkspans that through compressed air can be adjusted for ferry ramp height and often need no adjustment for tidal height. The aim of all this is to have the linkspan at the roughly same height above the water as that of the car deck on whichever ferry happens to be docking at the time. All that is then needed is for a ramp (usually on the vessel) to be lowered, bridging the gap between the ferry and the linkspan.

Look how low the trailer is to the ground the dockers adjust otherwise it would ground

boat.jpg

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Are the ramps on the ferry from Plymouth and Poole leval for getting on and off. Have just come back from Jersey in the car and the ramp was like going up a mountain, ok in the car but thought if we had the camper I would be bottoming out.

Where are you heading for, have been told that the ramp at Bilbao can be little tricky? We go Portsmouth to Santander no problem.(y)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
If the ramp is too steep refuse to use it and you may see a smaller pair of ramps which mysteriously appear from a locker and two sailors put them down for you if traffic backs up during unloading there will be a stewards enquiry from the bridge and somebody will get their ass kicked.:)

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Where are you heading for, have been told that the ramp at Bilbao can be little tricky? We go Portsmouth to Santander no problem.(y)

Will be going Plymouth to Roscoff or St malo or Poole to Cherbourg and will not be getting on or off the ferry if I think it will bottom out. To them it's just another motorhome to me it's my baby.

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Recently crossed Holyhead to Dublin on the Stena Supperfast X with no problem. Returned on the Stena Aventurer tow hitch grounded out. Same ramp different ship!
(As an aside there is no difference in the crossing times of the ships despite the name).
Spud

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I fitted grounding rollers on the rear of my RV and they have done their job on the odd occasion.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
We did Portsmouth to Caen and Cherbourg to Poole out normal ferry and back fast ferry in our old VW Baywindow.
Outbound we bottomed it and tow bar took the brunt. We thought we was sat in the space shuttle it was that steep going up the ramp.
Coming back was better for the ramp but Brittany ferries packed us all in so close Side by side, I felt uneasy about having the van damaged.
However to be fair, there did look to be a few ramps in use, so will probably depend on which deck they load you on, as there were low loader trucks & trailers and they managed ok.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
My mind boggles at the thought of your damaged rear, especially after bottoming it out :ROFLMAO:;):giggler::*:wasntme:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back