Truck satnav or camper satnav? (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Thinking about getting Garmin satnav but wondered whether a truck one is better than a motorhome one? Anyone tried them?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We like the Garmin one, but have never tried the truck one. Really you need someone who has / had both.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had the Garmin Dezl 560LMT truck version for three years and I think it is very good. It has customisable programs for truck or motorhome (RV) where you can input length, width, height and MAM. I would not bother with the camper version as you can get all the POI files you want and load them onto the Dezl. That way, you choose what you need rather than having the POI set that Garmin has agreed with a club.

Before getting the Dezl I had a Nüvi for a few years and the truck version is definitely better for motorhoming. Note, it can only take account of road size where it has the data in the map set. Minor roads remain minor roads whatever system you have. But remember that a lot of very big trucks use fairly minor roads to get to the place they need to be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
loads of members here are now using chinese satnav units with configurable truck version of iGo primo. dont be put off by the ridiculously cheap price, they really are very good
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I have had the Garmin Dezl 560LMT truck version for three years and I think it is very good. It has customisable programs for truck or motorhome (RV) where you can input length, width, height and MAM. I would not bother with the camper version as you can get all the POI files you want and load them onto the Dezl. That way, you choose what you need rather than having the POI set that Garmin has agreed with a club.

Before getting the Dezl I had a Nüvi for a few years and the truck version is definitely better for motorhoming. Note, it can only take account of road size where it has the data in the map set. Minor roads remain minor roads whatever system you have. But remember that a lot of very big trucks use fairly minor roads to get to the place they need to be.
Thanks, this is one we were thinking of :)

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
loads of members here are now using chinese satnav units with configurable truck version of iGo primo. dont be put off by the ridiculously cheap price, they really are very good
Broken Link Removed
Ooh they are really cheap, but what about map updates, live traffic etc?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Ooh they are really cheap, but what about map updates, live traffic etc?

There is an option for traffic but I think it is only historical data that is uses, nor live. The map updates are free but have to be done via a PC

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I chose Garmin for various reasons. When I bought the first one (Nüvi) it was not possible to load Lat/Long coordinates on some other makes; Garmin virtually invented satnav devices so I went for experience; it had to work with a Mac as I don't use a Windows PC (I don't think TomTom was Mac-compatible at the time).
Having got used to Garmin, I decided to stick with it when looking for a truck model (Dēzl).
Of course, the cheapo ones were not available when I bought the first Garmin, but I would still stick with the brand if replacing.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
likewise, i have been a tomtom fan for years, although i have inherited a few others like garmin with vans i have bought. all of them have some limitations and the price for big name manufacturers is ridiculous compared to cost of manufacture. at first, i like most people associated the idea of chinese goods as cheap and inferior. however other technology has proved they have taken huge leaps in recent years like phones and tablets etc. so I risked £40 on the thought that if useless as a satnav would still work as a media player for videos etc

all i can offer is my opinion as an experienced gps user and can happily confirm that they do everything other makes can and plenty more besides

outputs audio on the cab radio
full bluetooth support even music
plays video
and great quality gps features

and no before you ask, i am not connected in any way to selling them, just a very happy user keen to pass on a bargain

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I am thinking of getting a RV700 DVR anyone had an experience of this model, only reviews on the net are those by the sellers or makers and they would tell a buyer anything, no independent reviews, also looking through satnav forum by members so many like this but don't like that, same with us men getting a wife its just to confusing, so anyway getting back to the satnav RV700 anyone have one or tried one

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sorry.. never heard of it had to Google to see what it was..

frankly I'd stick to the tried and tested Garmin.. Aldi had the Camper 660 LMT-D model on offer at £139.99.. best price on-line is around £250.. it was £300 when it first came out

I bought on last week and would highly recommend it

Reactions: GJH
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Another vote for the Garmin Dezyl we have had one for the last four years and it's been very good although like most it does have its moments!!!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Personally if you want a GPS stick to Garmin far better than the competition.
As for the cheapo Chinese ones I had one and after they replaced it 3 times I gave up plenty of others had similar issues if you search.:eek:
We use Copilot nowadays but having said that my phone blew up yesterday so lost Copilot. Guess what I got out yep my old Garmin Nuvi.(y)

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Sorry.. never heard of it had to Google to see what it was..

frankly I'd stick to the tried and tested Garmin.. Aldi had the Camper 660 LMT-D model on offer at £139.99.. best price on-line is around £250.. it was £300 when it first came out

I bought on last week and would highly recommend it

do they have free updates and Europe on the system??

thanks for the reply

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

thanks for the reply
yes.. updates for life with Europe maps

forgot to say..

if you are interested, call Aldi customer services and they will advise if there are any left in you local store(s)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

thanks for the reply
Yes if you buy a model with the suffix LM (= lifetime maps) or LMT (= lifetime maps and traffic)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am thinking of getting a RV700 DVR anyone had an experience of this model, only reviews on the net are those by the sellers or makers and they would tell a buyer anything, no independent reviews, also looking through satnav forum by members so many like this but don't like that, same with us men getting a wife its just to confusing, so anyway getting back to the satnav RV700 anyone have one or tried one
The only sat nav I've seen described as a RV700 DVR is the Aguri one.
Aguri is a fairly recent company, formed (I understand) by people who ran Snooper before they sold out to an American company.
For me the Aguri is a non-starter (like Snooper) because they have continued the practice of not allowing customers to load their own third party POIs.
@Khizzie was trialling an Aguri model a couple of months ago so he might have some useful information.

Personally I would agree with @scotjimland about the Garmin. I wouldn't buy any of the TomTom NAV4 for reasons explained here.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

After reading many threads in here about the Garmin 660 LMTD Camper, I thought that would be ideal for me especially as Aldi are selling them from between £139.99 to £199.99 depending which store. Unfortunately I wanted one and visited 3 stores before I got one at £199.99 and considering that Garmin was £299.99 it was still £100.00 cheaper. On Amazon it was £324.99.
As I too am a wagon driver, I set the system to a caravan with 14' 6" height, 44 tonnes etc as my maximum weight would be. It works superbly. I took it on 5 particular routes that I know a normal sat Nav would use and it directed me to the correct routes for the wagon. It also has MHF sites in, ASCI sites in and updating was simplicity as Garmin are plus I could transfer ALL the Aires over in about 30 seconds.
My other Garmins have been Nuvi and I still have the Garmins Quest bought 10 years ago for a fraction under £400.00 with a coupon from Tandy magazine.
Without a doubt, the Garmins 660 camper does everything you need and more. Plus, its Bluetooth to your phone and you can attach a camera to the rear of your van and it connects. Probably the same on the Dezi but certainly £ for £, the camper is hard to beat

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It also has MHF sites in, ASCI sites in
Just a note on that. The "F" doesn't stand for "Fun", it's the other one so I don't know how reliable it is :D
I don't use either so backed them up to my PC and deleted them. The file sizes are the same now as when I bought the unit over a year ago so I don't know if they are kept up to date.

The 760 LMT-D is still my favourite motorhome sat nav at the moment though :)

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
The only sat nav I've seen described as a RV700 DVR is the Aguri one.
Aguri is a fairly recent company, formed (I understand) by people who ran Snooper before they sold out to an American company.
For me the Aguri is a non-starter (like Snooper) because they have continued the practice of not allowing customers to load their own third party POIs.
@Khizzie was trialling an Aguri model a couple of months ago so he might have some useful information.

Personally I would agree with @scotjimland about the Garmin. I wouldn't buy any of the TomTom NAV4 for reasons explained here.

thanks for the advice GJH

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Cheapo Chinese one has been great for me. Only problem with it is the internal battery has never really worked, it will only work if plugged into the van. Not that that's a great problem, especially as I've fitted a hardwired power supply now.

I haven't tried updating the maps yet - most do that actually, it's a couple of years old now.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Just a note on that. The "F" doesn't stand for "Fun", it's the other one so I don't know how reliable it is :D
I don't use either so backed them up to my PC and deleted them. The file sizes are the same now as when I bought the unit over a year ago so I don't know if they are kept up to date.

To be fair, I had a 5" and then a 7" (non Garmin) but have found the 6" not too intrusive, big enough for the van and the wagon but small enough food a car. Strangely my car came with its own Garmin sat nav but I have too say that Garmins definitely, size is a personal choice. Biggest isn't always best particularly as size matters in some vehicles.
I've also, for £8.95 expanded the memory by 32gb. I've got All the Aires, ASCI sites Europe wide, MHF (tother mob, and why would Facts be any less reliable information than Fun?) and around 100 work related places and adding daily. Definitely thinking the camera accessory.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
why would Facts be any less reliable information than Fun
I'm thinking of the decrease in popularity of Facts over recent years and how up to date the POIs might be. If the data set isn't being checked/maintained regularly then (as with any other POI set) people could be sent on a wild goose chase :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

I'm thinking of the decrease in popularity of Facts over recent years and how up to date the POIs might be. If the data set isn't being checked/maintained regularly then (as with any other POI set) people could be sent on a wild goose chase :)
I do understand that but even though I'm a fun member, I'm still a facts member and different horses for different courses. I find excellent information on both (and bad information). The big advantage is that it appears the most grumpy fact ex members have found a new home.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Broken Link Removed
I'm one of them. I had a Garmin shared between the car and the van but bought a Truck one for the van. I find it great and the onscreen info more informative. For what it costs I think you can't go wrong.

Wyn

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As for the cheapo Chinese ones I had one and after they replaced it 3 times I gave up plenty of others had similar issues if you search.:eek:

no need to search far .. I had a Noztech (or whatever it's called) for about three days and returned it .. the screen was rubbish and the software clunky.. the bluetooth didn't work.. told them I had posted it back for a refund and they said.. you should just have kept it.. we don't want it back.. refunded immediately.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back