Where does your dog sleep?.... (1 Viewer)

Nelly font

Free Member
Aug 13, 2015
Leominster
Funster No
MH
Ford transit flash 04
Exp
Ok so I have now worked out how to get the spare bed to resemble a cot for my 18 month old but now for the dog!! I don't have much floor space so can't fit a grate in. I am considering a pop up tent but wouldn't bother to put it up if only going for a night or 2 has anyone put there dog in the garage?? He is a working/pet spaniel so although he loves a sofa he is used to my car boot! I just want him to be safe and secure at night. Any ideas?.

OP
OP
N

Nelly font

Free Member
Aug 13, 2015
Leominster
Funster No
MH
Ford transit flash 04
Exp
Hmmmmmm.... I am sure he would love it but i like to keep my bed to myself!! He is mainly an outside dog so would prob find it too hot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Meg sleeps in a ruff n tuff bed in the drivers footwell. This position was her choice even though its full of pedals. I am hoping Spice will take the passenger side footwell, there is more room but there may be a draft as there is a door on that side.
In my experience dogs will sleep where they want to, often preferring a 'defensible' space, though this may be because our dogs sleep in cages/crates at home (with the doors open) and the enclosed footwells ( with seats rotated) are a bit similar.
I wouldn't shut a dog in anywhere, they are a brilliant security guard but obviously only if they have access to all parts of the van. We train ours not to wake us in the morning unless they are bursting.

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Ours sleep on double diner made into bed, I usually step on them when getting out of overcab.:D

Upvote 0

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Maggie sleeps between front seats/in footwells.............and her 'habits, -( bad wind in the morning ) is better than any alarm clock..........(I'm above in drop down bed).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nelly font

Free Member
Aug 13, 2015
Leominster
Funster No
MH
Ford transit flash 04
Exp
Thanks I hadn't considered the passenger footwell, I like having him near for security mine and his lol but he is an outdoor dog and tends to get hot inside he won't get up at night or early in the morning my toddler gets up before him anyway lol I will see if I can fit his bed in thanks for the idea.

Upvote 0

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Maggie sleeps between front seats/in footwells.............and her 'habits, -( bad wind in the morning :eek::sick: ) is better than any alarm clock.......... :whistle: (I'm above in drop down bed).

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a Lab and a Beagle. They both sleep in their beds on the floor. Normally, at around 6:30, the Beagle (Jeremy) will jump on the bottom of the bed and sleep there till one of us gets up and lets him out. They both sleep at home with us in the bedroom, he has the same routine there.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Ours a collie sleeps in her own bed in the drivers footwell, with the seat turned round she is in an almost covered in space which makes her feel secure and does not wake until 9am.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hmmmmmm.... I am sure he would love it but i like to keep my bed to myself!! He is mainly an outside dog so would prob find it too hot.

It did look unsanitary didn't it but usually a panel van conversion has two single beds separated by walk space.

Upvote 0

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Our Spaniel sleeps in the drivers footwell, with her bed, but usually joins us about 06:00 till we get up!

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Our Jack Russell sleeps in his cage between the two front seats, it's one of those plastic cat ones you get.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nelly font

Free Member
Aug 13, 2015
Leominster
Funster No
MH
Ford transit flash 04
Exp
We are going for the footwell trial next weekend thanks everyone :0)
image.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Our Dalmatian sleeps where he likes!
Only kidding, I know where he'd like to, being a dally he lets you know every night but eventually curls up on his bed and I drop a blanket on top of him. He has always wanted to sleep under cover and this guarrantees a quiet night for all concerned. Except for the snoring, his and mine!!
In the morning he likes to join me in my single bed
Keswick 6AM visitor.JPG

Upvote 0

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
we used garage for boxer but left connecting door to living space open, worked well. Now new van and dog, goldendoodle sleeps under table.

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We have 2 cairns ... They both sleep on their own sheepskin rugs under our bed but if it's really cold Tilly sneaks up to our bed and curls at the back of my knees when we're asleep to keep warm.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours (springer and cocker) sleep in the front part of the van wherever they like. We usually keep the door shut so they can't get back with us. If Joseph is with us and uses the drop down bed they sleep in that with him.

Upvote 0

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
We have 2 dogs, when they think we're asleep, they climb on the bed! A whippet and a Border Collie.
We had a full size racing greyhound, Charlie, he was a big dog, he loved to travel in the van, having spent most of his life in kennels, he took to living with us really well and thought sleeping on our bed was dog heaven, but we loved him and put up with it. He was a rescue dog and had to be rescued from his first "rescuers" they kept him chained up in a yard and he slept on a concrete slab outside in all weathers. The RSPCA rescued him after complaints from the neighbours about his neglect. He was skin and bone and had lost most of his fur, he had terrible scabs some of which were infected, the RSPCA vet had to take all but 9 of his teeth out and said he would have been in a lot of pain. He was hard work to begin with, scared of everything and everyone but gradually he began to trust us and became quite mischievous even naughty in a confident way that was pleasing to see. We have a large garden and he would run full out whooping for joy, he loved the beach at Perranporth which is only 2 miles away. We had him for three years, he had a heart attack and died running full belt round the garden, we were heartbroken. Anyway, having to be rescued from his "rescuers" it's beyond belief, the RSPCA prosecuted them but they were told off and fined a couple of quid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are going for the footwell trial next weekend thanks everyone :0) View attachment 72454
Looks just like my daughter's springer that I'm dog sitting for a couple of weeks.
Ocassionly we take her with us in the van once she found out how to get up on the high rear beds she usually curls up on the wife's bed

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
We have 2 dogs, when they think we're asleep, they climb on the bed! A whippet and a Border Collie.
We had a full size racing greyhound, Charlie, he was a big dog, he loved to travel in the van, having spent most of his life in kennels, he took to living with us really well and thought sleeping on our bed was dog heaven, but we loved him and put up with it. He was a rescue dog and had to be rescued from his first "rescuers" they kept him chained up in a yard and he slept on a concrete slab outside in all weathers. The RSPCA rescued him after complaints from the neighbours about his neglect. He was skin and bone and had lost most of his fur, he had terrible scabs some of which were infected, the RSPCA vet had to take all but 9 of his teeth out and said he would have been in a lot of pain. He was hard work to begin with, scared of everything and everyone but gradually he began to trust us and became quite mischievous even naughty in a confident way that was pleasing to see. We have a large garden and he would run full out whooping for joy, he loved the beach at Perranporth which is only 2 miles away. We had him for three years, he had a heart attack and died running full belt round the garden, we were heartbroken. Anyway, having to be rescued from his "rescuers" it's beyond belief, the RSPCA prosecuted them but they were told off and fined a couple of quid.
The world needs more people like you.....Charlie got the love he deserved....

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Our chocolate lab also favoured the front passenger door well in our old van.
She is very upset about the latest van as it is the new style ducato with two drinks holders instead of a locker in the middle, she now can't get in comfortably, though she has tried, we have to block the area off now after she got stuck couple of times :(
She now has the void under our high fixed rear bed and is just starting to talk to us again :)
Other two have the front pull out bench bed.

Lin :)
FB_20150816_10_27_35_Saved_Picture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Our collie sleeps on a DogDoza bed on the floor in the living area which is separated from the sleeping area by a door. He's often found elsewhere though! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
You gave him a wonderful happy 3 years , and he died doing what he loved , running full pelt.......

Our border terrier sleeps on the floor between the twin beds . In Pug, our PVC .
We're lucky as if he did do what @Nirvanauk dog does he's not big enough to stick his bum in Ralph's face. Plus he's normally asleep when we wake up. He's very lazy on a morning and often doesn't have his first wee till after 10 am !
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back