Departing from France Now!! With a problem (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hi we are not far from boarding the eurotunnel and so far the tunnel is fine!

However, having had a shower this morning it looks like the water pump has failed!! Not happy!

Any ideas of where best to try and get one fitted today? We are travelling via Rouen, Freud, Chartres down to clermont ferrand.

Thanks

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
You will probably see some camping car stores en-route. However, there is one in Rouen:

Rouen Camping Car
15 Rue d'Anjou

I hope you manage to sort out a new pump.

Chris

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Arghh

Thanks but I have now tried that one and several others!! My French isn't great but believe most would appear to be closed!!

Any other ideas anyone, please!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
No idea why they'd be closed, unless they open at 10 or 10.30. Can't see they'd be closed for holidays in August but I can't think of sign they put on door---it doesn't say vacances.

Tomorrow is a National Holiday in France, The Assumption of Mary.

Hope you get one sorted.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, Narbonne Accessories have an outlet at Rouen
http://www.narbonneaccessoires.fr/

If they cannot help there are at least three others along the same stretch of road, probaly within less than a mile (or whatever that works out in kilogrammes!)

Wyn

Reactions: DBK

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We visited one in Guilberville last week and he said they're closed for their 2 week holiday . Lots of shops clouds closed for their vacations too. Hope you get sorted!

Ouvert le lundi de 14h00 à 18h30
Mardi au samedi de 9h30 à 12h00
et de 14h00 à 18h30

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We visited one in Guilberville last week and he said they're closed for their 2 week holiday . Lots of shops clouds closed for their vacations too. Hope youy get sorted

Ouvert le lundi de 14h00 à 18h30

Open Monday from 14h00 to 18h30
Tuesday to Saturday from 9:30 to 12:00
and 2:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Here's her email. I used Google translate to email her
isabelle@salinski-campingcars-manche.fr

And Frankie helped me a lot.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
... ETS SAUNIER, Caravanes Loisirs, 767 Route de Rouen is one. Tel. 02 35 79 85 80

It's by the airport.

Wyn

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Calais Caravans in Calais, near to Auchen. They seem to sell most things for caravans and motorhomes, may be worth a visit if you are still in Calais

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
When you find a shop buy two!

You never know when one might fail and so, after a similar experience I always carry two.

Good luck.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Arghh

Thanks but I have now tried that one and several others!! My French isn't great but believe most would appear to be closed!!

Any other ideas anyone, please!

I m afraid lots of shops are shut in August.... Still i find surprising that dealers are... Sorry french system....
Edit i ll give you my phone number by pm. Text me if you need help as i wi ll be driving today so only texts. Ta

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What are the symptoms of the pump failure? Is it making a noise but nothing coming out or has it apparently just gone on strike? Have you tried giving the pump a good whack?

If you can't get a replacement you could post a photo here of the pump to help identify it and it may then be possible to dismantle it. Some pumps get blocked with lime scale, or the fault might be electrical but it may not be a write-off yet.

Though inconvenient the loss of the pump shouldn't ruin your trip - bottled water, a bucket and a kettle to boil water for washing. It was how it was done in the past!

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Can be fuses,does the pump work in the kitchen,or is it just the shower????
French are nortorise for there holidays and Sunday closing,Niabonne have outlets every were.
Hope you have a bucket with you.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, do try giving it a bit of a shake up and do try wiggling the connectors and check the fuse. You might get it to spring back into life but still, buy another one soon!

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
In France if a holiday falls at the weekend they take the day off either before or after. Similarly if it falls on Thursday or Tuesday they take a 'pont' (bridge) to join it to the weekend.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
In France if a holiday falls at the weekend they take the day off either before or after. Similarly if it falls on Thursday or Tuesday they take a 'pont' (bridge) to join it to the weekend.
Not as bad as the RAF - they never work on Wednesdays as that ruins two weekends. :)

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hi everyone, thanks for all your help and suggestions . I rang most of the caravan shops along the same stretch in Rouen and most appear closed for the holidays!

I have rang Narbonne accessoires in Chartres and after a broken conversation in French we are heading there after lunch!

He's not sure if he can fix it but will look at it! My French lessons are paying off a little!!

The pump just stopped working during my husbands shower, luckily I got mine first!

I have checked the fuse in the EBL that said something like pumpe on it and with my best girly detection looks fine! Do they have a fuse around the area of the actual pump? I know there are some wires on the water tank but have to admit to not looking at the pump itself!

Yes the holiday won't be completely ruined just a little spoilt!!

Thanks

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hi everyone, thanks for all your help and suggestions . I rang most of the caravan shops along the same stretch in Rouen and most appear closed for the holidays!

I have rang Narbonne accessoires in Chartres and after a broken conversation in French we are heading there after lunch!

He's not sure if he can fix it but will look at it! My French lessons are paying off a little!!

The pump just stopped working during my husbands shower, luckily I got mine first!

I have checked the fuse in the EBL that said something like pumpe on it and with my best girly detection looks fine! Do they have a fuse around the area of the actual pump? I know there are some wires on the water tank but have to admit to not looking at the pump itself!

Yes the holiday won't be completely ruined just a little spoilt!!

Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The fuse shouldn't blow unless there was a fault somewhere so that needs to be found first. The wires around the tank might be something to do with a level gauge, ours has several sensors on it which light diodes to give an idea how much water we have. Some MHs also have submersible pumps and perhaps you have one of these. But I would get thee toChartres toute suite! (Or is it toute de suite?)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
As a last resort Stacetop, if you find a replacement pump but can't get it fitted then make your way to us here (an hour north of Clermont Ferrand) and I'll fit it for you. Is it a submersible pump as if so it may just be manufacturer specific? but in that case it should be possible to rig up a another type temporary.

Don't rely on any camper shops being open here in the center, the two largest near us at Clermont and Bourges closed early August until mid September. I love France but...

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I think ours is a submersible pump, we are not far from the shop now so will have a look at the pump whilst we wait. A lot of parts on our van are generic or Hymer type ones.

Veevee thanks very much for your offer as you might of guessed I'm not a technical genius and many husband is even worse! He probably didn't even know it has a pump! I think the main problem will definitely be sourcing a pump!

Will see what happens at Chartres and go from there but if central France is shut down its not looking good!

I wish I had the same holidays as the French!! I have bought bottled water now to keep us going!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Glad you seem to be getting somewhere.
I'd forgotten so many places close in August. Jours de Conge or En Conge ( accent on e) means on holiday. Been driving me mad all morning---had to phone a friend!

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
We we are waiting her til 2pm, seen the man I spoke to on the phone! Testing the pump and it worked ha ha! On further testing though it's struggling big style especially on hot water! So fingers crossed he has a new one that will fit!

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Stacetop
Will see what happens at Chartres and go from there but if central France is shut down its not looking good!

That's what makes the Auvergne such a good place to be, not much happens, very beautiful and no crowds.
good luck

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Phew we have a new pump and a lighter wallet!!

Seems to be working fine although there is now a load of muck in the tank so will find an site tonight to drain down and clean before we put new pump to proper use!

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions it was definitely a shock to find most places closed but this is the second Narbonne accessoires shop to help us out at short notice! 2 years we lost a roof vent to a bird so had one replaced at Chalon that time!

Cheers everyone

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back