Scotland in September - doubting if to go because of weather (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We've been really looking forward to going to Scotland this September but the other day saw a news item which highlighted the awful summer they're having. I know our summer isn't great but they have snow in places where there shouldn't be this time of year! It will be our first ever visit and we'll be going for four weeks.

I know there's no guarantee of good weather where ever you go at any time of the year but we're wondering whether to change our destination to the West Country as it looks to be so bad. Has anyone got advice to help us make our decision? By the way we would have gone to France but didn't realise that it took 5 - 6 weeks to get our dog a pet passport.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You should get a dog passport quicker than that.

Dont let the weather stop you, bring your wellies, umbrella, shorts, sunglasses, midge repellent and you will be fine.
Yes its been much wetter this year but doesnt rain continually.

Yesterday we had summer and was wall to wall sunshine and 22c

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Scotland will be great .. there's so much to see and it's so dog friendly . . Just expect it to be poor weather and anything better is a bonus. You won't be disapointed. You should get a dog passport quickly. I think you have to wait for a period after the rabies jab though before you can travel ... (can't remember exactly)

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for your replies - I'm feeling a bit more optimistic now :) !

Regarding the pet passport - I worked out the 5-6 weeks because of the following. You have to have 2 rabies vaccinations - the second being 2 weeks after the first. You then have to wait 21 days and have a blood test - I'm guessing that it might take a week to get the results back. I felt so annoyed with myself as we recently had his annual vaccinations done and I could have started the process then. I just didn't realise the timescale. Oh well - you live and learn!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for your replies - I'm feeling a bit more optimistic now :) !

Regarding the pet passport - I worked out the 5-6 weeks because of the following. You have to have 2 rabies vaccinations - the second being 2 weeks after the first. You then have to wait 21 days and have a blood test - I'm guessing that it might take a week to get the results back. I felt so annoyed with myself as we recently had his annual vaccinations done and I could have started the process then. I just didn't realise the timescale. Oh well - you live and learn!

We had our two dogs done this summer.... one rabies injection, wait 21 days, back to vet to collect passports.. there is no blood test done now..

before coming back this week, worming done in France 5 days to 24 hours before travel..

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
just a minor clarification to what @ScotJimland said - he missed out the word 'days' after the '5' -the treatment must be recorded in the passport at least 24 hours before check-in and no more than 120 hours (i.e. 5 days).

P.S. Don't be frightened of the weather in Scotland in September. Scotland is a wonderful country to visit and autumn often brings beautiful weather!

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We had our two dogs done this summer.... one rabies injection, wait 21 days, back to vet to collect passports.. there is no blood test done now..

before coming back this week, worming done in France 5 days to 24 hours before travel..

That's interesting. Is it your dog's first passport or was it for a booster? I've just re-read the letter which I picked up from our vet and it states Rabies vaccination course (2 vaccinations two weeks apart)... Blood collection/rabies serology (sample collected 3 weeks after second vaccination).

I'll contact another vet and see what they say. Thanks for the info

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Scotland can be beautiful in September (but there are still midges). One of the reasons the Highlands are so wonderful is because of the high rainfall. Even a great summer up there has quite a bit of rain but I admit this year has been particularly bad.
Regarding snow, many people don't realise that the annual mean temperature at the top of Ben Nevis is below zero so many of the high mountain corries will hold snow all year (although I have been on top of 'The Ben' in sweltering heat).

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
May or June are good months to visit Scotland but September can be good and if the west coast is wet then nip over to the east coast.

I live in the west country and it rains here as well. We are off to Brittany in September but aren't expecting wall to wall sunshine. We will need to go further south for a better chance of sun.

But given where you live France is next door. Book the pooch in today for the single rabies jab and get the ferry or tunnel booked!

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
That's interesting. Is it your dog's first passport or was it for a booster? I've just re-read the letter which I picked up from our vet and it states Rabies vaccination course (2 vaccinations two weeks apart)... Blood collection/rabies serology (sample collected 3 weeks after second vaccination).

I'll contact another vet and see what they say. Thanks for the info
I believe that's the old rules. It has been simplified since end 2014.
Have a look at
Broken Link Removed
as for changing your plans, Scotland is due some good weather. Been visiting for years and never regretted going.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
You can take the dog abroad at any time its coming back thats monitored

I didn't realise that. I'm going to check things out at another vet as it would appear that our vet is a bit out of date.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Scotland in September can be brilliant, we love the place so may be somewhat biased, but autumn colours, trees in the glens heather on the hills, Bev actually got sunburnt on one of our first trips there in September

But get the passport sorted and have both options (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Go to Scotland it's beautiful and whatever the weather you'll love it went there three years ago in September for three weeks and been back four times since.
Don't be put off by the weather
ENJOY

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I didn't realise that. I'm going to check things out at another vet as it would appear that our vet is a bit out of date.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

From other threads that have run on this subject it may be more that your vet is using a particular brand of vaccine that requires the faffing around and is possibly just pushing you towards the blood test simply so they can charge you for it.

You need to find a vet that uses either Vanguard or Nobivac brand vaccine.

It's one injection, no second course or booster after 12 months. It lasts 3 years. They should be able to give you the passport immediately but you can't travel until 21 days after the injection.

The blood test isn't required if you are only travelling within the EU.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I'd come to Scotland we might moan about our weather all the time but it isn't really that bad, it certainly hasn't been cold as I have been wearing shorts everyday (not the same pair) since March and will do until October time. The only time I'm not in shorts is for a wedding or meal out, I also can't remember the last time I wore a jacket since March apart from climbing Ben Nevis in June and yes there was 18 inches of snow on the top and we met a family of English tourist trying to walk it in sandals.

We have a beautiful country here so come and enjoy it and just bring good waterproofs if that's your concern.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Had 2 glorious weeks, last minute decision in Scotland last September. we, reluctantly, had to come home for an important birthday. We were rained off the south west this July so came back early!

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
When I got our dog's passport it was issued there and then. There is no longer the requirement to wait for blood tests.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Everywhere looks better in the sunshine
We cancelled our trip to Scotland in June simply because the weather was so bad
We changed our plans and went to Provence instead
Had a great time
Will go back to Scotland when we can hope for a reasonable chance of dry weather - not much fun motorhiming in the rain

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Everywhere looks better in the sunshine
We cancelled our trip to Scotland in June simply because the weather was so bad
We changed our plans and went to Provence instead
Had a great time
Will go back to Scotland when we can hope for a reasonable chance of dry weather - not much fun motorhiming in the rain
Now that's what I call being sensible.:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Like Scotland, but horrible drive to get there and being only 20 miles from a channel port, Scotland looses.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Spent a couple of weeks touring round in the wind & rain then a week at the Caravan Club site in Edinburgh where we had various weather culminating in a nice sunny day yesterday. Now sitting in the van with the rain bucketing down debating whether to leave for home early :-(
I have told Tony that, apart from the occasional rally, I don't want to spend any more main motorhome trips in the UK - for me it's got to be abroad. I know you still get rain etc abroad as we have found to our cost but it's always more interesting in a foreign country and at least you can head for the sun if you want :)

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Spent a couple of weeks touring round in the wind & rain then a week at the Caravan Club site in Edinburgh where we had various weather culminating in a nice sunny day yesterday. Now sitting in the van with the rain bucketing down debating whether to leave for home early :-(

Don't panic yet, the rain should clear this afternoon and the next few days should be nice ;-)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back