LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Not really had time to get away as much as if like this year and I miss it :(

So I was really chuffed to get away and spend a long weekend on the South Coast :)

Everything was perfect, right up until we headed home along the main A27 and an engine mount sheared clean through, dropping the engine onto the lower front subframe. You couldn't make it up if you tried :frowny:

Luckily no moving parts came into contact with the subframe so no damage there. Also no oil or coolant leaks to report, phew :whew:

Luckily I've got full breakdown cover so some 5 hours later we're home without any more hiccups. The recovery company were excellent and very professional and quoted some £550 if we never had the breakdown cover, so I'm glad it came with the insurance :clap:

Looking at the bolt you can clearly see corrosion at the point of shear. I had the cambelt changed some 2 years / 11000 miles ago and they reported a problem with an engine mount, so it does make me wonder if there's any connection, but no way of actually knowing :groan:

It's now in the local garage who have reported that FIAT don't supply just the bolt, I'd have to get the entire mounting at £165........however the new part would need to come from Europe and they quoted 10 days transit due to migrants raiding their last 2 trucks :Eeek:

So the garage is using a local machine manufacturer to make me a new high tensile bolt and should have it back to my by tomorrow. Here's hoping :cheers:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Don't know what year your van is but the one we had was 2008 and the engine mountings were changed due to them not being man enough for the job. This was all part of the solution to the reverse gear problem.

Mike

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Don't know what year your van is but the one we had was 2008 and the engine mountings were changed due to them not being man enough for the job. This was all part of the solution to the reverse gear problem.

Mike
Thanks Mike,

Mines a 2006 model with the 2.8JTD.

I've not suffered any form or reverse gear problem with it, but I agree the mount doesn't seem man enough.

Seems the entire engine rides on the one bolt and it's a heavy engine. I've done some research on forums, but can't find any other stories of the bolt shearing like mine did.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It is difficult to see the detail on the end of the bolt but I suspect that part way across it is rusty?
I have seen bolts in this type of mounting damaged as they are difficult to line up and when removed and refitted the corrosion on and in the threads jams causing the bolt to be strained when refitted.
A blast out with the airline and wire brushing the bolt before fitting should stop this happening.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Quick update (y)

All fixed and back on the road once again, yipppeeeeeeee:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Quite happy with the ker....ching bill too....£169 :)

Could have been a lot more expensive than that considering the engine quite literally fell a good 8 inches (toots and Dux, you'll have noooooo idea what 8 inches is :rofl:) on to the subframe at 60mph!!!:groan:

So all in all, a happy PP Bear :cheers::wine:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
So happy that you are sorted. Get back out there.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
glad your sorted ... your fitters troop were obviously not following up in convoy..:rolleyes:

i would have a word if i were you...;)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Quick update (y)

All fixed and back on the road once again, yipppeeeeeeee:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Quite happy with the ker....ching bill too....£169 :)

Could have been a lot more expensive than that considering the engine quite literally fell a good 8 inches (toots and Dux, you'll have noooooo idea what 8 inches is :rofl:) on to the subframe at 60mph!!!:groan:

So all in all, a happy PP Bear :cheers::wine:
as both the engine and subframe were doing 60mph its irrelevant at what speed it happened smiley

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
as both the engine and subframe were doing 60mph its irrelevant at what speed it happened smiley
Unfortunately it did matter, as the steering literally went nuts as the engine and hence gearbox dropped. It effected the steering and the drive shafts :Eeek:

Thought I'd had a double front blow out or worst the steering was so crazy, so it was relevant mitzimad :Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Of all the Ducatos on this forum this appears to be the first case of this nature.
Should we be worried or was this just a case of one dodgy bolt??

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Of all the Ducatos on this forum this appears to be the first case of this nature.
Should we be worried or was this just a case of one dodgy bolt??
Think it was a case of one dodgy bolt.

On close inspection of the bolt, it had corrosion at the point of shear. I do believe that the previous garage had something to do with it and never fitted the bolt properly after changing the cam belt.

They admitted they had sheared a mounting bolt at the time and I think they found a replacement that wasn't up to the task. However it was 2 years and 11k miles ago.

After the engine had dropped, I could see that there had been quite a bit of movement on the mount.

I don't think there's any need to worry and mine was really a one off.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Pleased you got it sorted at a reasonable price, I don't understand why you didn't follow you on the garages report of an engine mount problem & if it isn't the same mount would be wise to check the others.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Seems I spoke too soon :(

Climbed underneath to drop the oil and filter and found that the front right inner drive shaft seal had split :Eeek::swear2:

Luckily I haven't driven it anywhere to let road grime and water into the joint, so it's another trip to the garage to change the boot :groan:

Also found one of the top coolant pipes had sheared a mounting bracket, but no leaks. Temporarily fixed that with a couple of large zip ties for now :whistle2:

Booked in for tomorrow morning :)

Hopefully it'll now end for this occasion :cheers:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with the new split boots you can fit a new one in 30 minutes without dismantling. cut old one off and carefully pop the new one on being careful to keep mating sides clean/ glue together and fit new clips/ties

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
When was the cambelt last changed? This bolt would have been removed as would the entire mounting. Its definitely not a common issue as far as I'm aware, first one I've heard of.

D.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I had the engine drop like that on a Citroën B19. The engine mount was a tall inverted triangle with 2 bolts at the top and one at the bottom. Someone hadn't fitted the bottom bolt so it only hung, and pivoted on the top two. The inevitable happened and the engine dropped onto the road.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
with the new split boots you can fit a new one in 30 minutes without dismantling. cut old one off and carefully pop the new one on being careful to keep mating sides clean/ glue together and fit new clips/ties
Don't bother split boots are only a temporary fix you be lucky if one last 6 months even if you fit a top quality one like Bailcast, get the job done properly.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Don't bother split boots are only a temporary fix you be lucky if one last 6 months even if you fit a top quality one like Bailcast, get the job done properly.

Got the job done properly as you said. Didn't want to trust it to a split boot jobbie, I'd rather have it all new for peace of mind :)

Your in the REME and you take it to a civilian garage if it was me it would be in the work shop PDQ ;)

You're absolutely right and, had I had the time, facilities and possible manpower, I would have :)

However I'm at a training Battalion, so no luxury of an LAD or Wksp, the Battalion are all on summer stand down and I wanted the job done ASAP. Would have happily done it myself, but I wanted it done as concurrent activity while I'm at work, I live in the mess so no facilities at all there for me and I could afford the £60 labour the guy wanted :)

All in all a happy motorhomer again. Now I can pack up and head off again tomorrow :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back