45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Howzabout?

Buying a nearly new, tasty motorhome,
Selling say 3 shares.
Divvying up the overheads.
Working on a ‘You bend it, you mend it’ basis.
Working out when people use it on a friendly, but pre-agreed written format.

Set up carefully, you get 4 house-proud groups all out to look after it really well.
Mostly, it’ll come back better than it went out.
At changeover time, both parties will probably be there fussing over it.

It worked for us.
We bought.
Advertised county wide.
Met with the 3 groups in the shortlist.
Collected the money.

We’d been in game a few years, and had worked for some of the top names,
Learning the ropes from us came free; the virgins, so to speak, felt they had good value when they stumped up 1/3 the cost price.
We went their separate ways after several happy years.
[FONT=&quot]We had an enjoyable re-union recently.

Howzabout it.
[/FONT]

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
i can see maybe a few people going for it,
but even though my rv is am oldman i would,nt share with anyone. and i certainly would,nt with a newer one.
most mh,ers like to sleep in their own bed rather than a hotel hence the mh.

as a business venture its a goodish idea, if 4 people have shares in a decent mh then when its sold on 4 people are paying for depreciation.
potential nightmare situation if a party falls out with another or 2 parties want the same dates etc.
probably too much hassle.

what happens after youve had your two weeks holiday in it. take out all your personal stuff and then valet it for the next.
might as well just hire one.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Private light aircraft have been purchased this way for years. Most light aircraft cost less that a posh German motorhome. People buy and sell part shares in aircraft all the time, this really helps with the large annual bills as well.

But rather than a quarter share in a £60,000 motorhome and go away one weekend in four, I'd rather have a 15k motorhome all to myself:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I can see the financial benefit and for some it would make sense, but for the many owners it's more than just a van to go away in, it's also a hobby.. a mistress not to be shared .. and a way of life :Smile:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
:whatthe: Herman is mine ! The idea has possibilities but sharing the kubbelwagen does NOT appeal to me. Where else could I keep the fishing rods?

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I can damage my own bus thank you very much without giving complete novices a go at it.:Doh::RollEyes:

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Jim is right Re light aircraft, however the reason why groups form is because of the high running costs, not the buying of it. With the M/H for most people its the other way, high purchase price relatively low running costs.

People I know with a van,to them it as become more than something to go away in for a couple week's every year, a friend of mine Bill with a Burstner who keeps it on his drive, said to me that he sure that the postman thinks he lives in it because every time he makes a delivery Bill's pottering around inside his motor home.

From my experience with aircraft groups, the type of aircraft was immaterial, it was the people that made up the group, that was important.

I think its possible for it to work with the right people, but I think you may be better off, just buying one accepting its a tool and hire it out without getting to personaly involved.

Roy

OP
OP

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Interesting to see so many negatives from people who have no personal interest in either buying to let, or an alternative to buying to let.

Almost as though they don't want other people to enjoy something they obviously greatly enjoy.

An very interesting insight in people's personna.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Interesting to see so many negatives from people who have no personal interest in either buying to let, or an alternative to buying to let.

Almost as though they don't want other people to enjoy something they obviously greatly enjoy.

An very interesting insight in people's personna.

Hi 45eEver

I have no personal intrest in buying to let either but can I not express my negative view of such a thing?

Surely people are entiled to their own opinion? I have been asked to hire out my RV for hospitality use at some events by a very good friend at very good rates but have always declined as I enjoy the sole ownership/use of my vehicle and would hate the very feeling of it being used by others! Our RV is very personal to us!

I would also hate to have to remove all of my belongings, clothes etc everytime I had to hand the RV/Motorhome over to anyone else. Furthermore I cannot ever see how 4 people would respect the vehicle in exactly equal measures and I would also doubt that 4 people could agree with each other for an extended length of time!

I can see the possible advantage of such an agreement but as Jim has said I would rather buy a £15,000 older RV than a 1/4 share in a £60,000 newer one.

I am forunate in that I can park my RV at home and it is always ready so we can go away whenever we want to, likewise if the weather is bad we can choose to not bother, but if it meant not going away for another 3 weekends what would you do? Your hands would be to some extent tied.

Sorry this may work for aircraft and possibly boats but I feel that an RV?motorhome is very personal and all about freedom to go where you want, when you want with out the shackles of 3 other part owners having to agree!

Regards Pat

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
for those people who have no other way of enjoying a motorhome it could be a good idea, however I feel personally it is my space and after all the work I put into the bodywork it a part of me and I'm fussy about who I share my body with, OK form an orderly queue I will decide eventually. Or maybe not:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Link Removed I offered an alternative to buy to let.

Did you compare and contrast the two alternatives?
Or did you just slag off an idea that might be of use to folks who can't afford a quality m/h?
Or of use to people who have other demands on their time?

Did I in any way suggest that co-ownership was better than owning your own?

Do you realize how lucky you are to own your own m/h?
To have realised your dream?

Howzabout thinking for others for a change and making a positive contribution to an idea that might help people realise their dreams?

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
"Do you realize how lucky you are to own your own m/h?
To have realised your dream?"
Posted by 45eEver.

I get really "fed up" of people telling others how lucky they are in realising their dreams
I get told how lucky I am that I have had a "job" all my life, how lucky I am that I am mortgage free, how lucky I am that I have some money in the bank, how lucky I am that I have a new paid for Mh, how lucky I am that I have a Mercedes saloon 2nd vehicle, how lucky I am that I can go abroad for holidays when I feel like it.
Funny, but I don't think I am lucky at all.

I have worked BLOODY HARD since the age of 15 and I have EARNED every single thing that I have now.
There were times when I wondered where my next meal was coming from but I persevered and by planning ahead and getting my priorities right as I saw them, I have acquired a "standard of living" which some others might envy.
Even after marriage, my OH worked hard alongside me, and even through 17 different house moves (HM Forces) she knew that it would pay off some day.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
"Do you realize how lucky you are to own your own m/h?
To have realised your dream?"
Posted by 45eEver.

I get really "fed up" of people telling others how lucky they are in realising their dreams
I get told how lucky I am that I have had a "job" all my life, how lucky I am that I am mortgage free, how lucky I am that I have some money in the bank, how lucky I am that I have a new paid for Mh, how lucky I am that I have a Mercedes saloon 2nd vehicle, how lucky I am that I can go abroad for holidays when I feel like it.
Funny, but I don't think I am lucky at all.

I have worked BLOODY HARD since the age of 15 and I have EARNED every single thing that I have now.
There were times when I wondered where my next meal was coming from but I persevered and by planning ahead and getting my priorities right as I saw them, I have acquired a "standard of living" which some others might envy.
Even after marriage, my OH worked hard alongside me, and even through 17 different house moves (HM Forces) she knew that it would pay off some day.

Hear hear....well said. :thumb:
I feel the same, and get the same 'you're so lucky' as you.
Although I'm not as 'lucky' as you :winky: I'm still only a baby so have lots of years still to work and pay my mortgage. But we will be in the same position as you some day, but it doesn't come easy.

On the subject of buy to let, or MH share, I can see the appeal. We actually looked at buying brand new and letting it out.
We decided against this as we didn't want to rely on rentals to pay for the MH, but the main reason was that we wanted to be able to decide last minute, 'lets go somewhere this weekend', and to have all our things in ready to just drive away. Something we couldn't have done if it had to be empty for rental.

On the sharing side of things you would have the same issues, although not as often.
You would need to agree how long you would keep it for, as this has caused problems with friends of mine who bought a house together (one wanting to sell, the others not, but couldn't afford to buy him out).
Also agreements on payments for maintainence, insurance etc. I think you'd have to trust people more doing it this way than renting it out. But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, it wasn't for us, so we bought an older model that we could afford to pay outright.....hopefully will be able to afford a brand new one in the future if all goes to plan, but for now we're more than happy with our decision

The decision is based on how much you can afford, but you can get something really decent for 15K, and I'm sure for less if you know what you're looking for and hunt around a bit.
If you've got 15k then is something which is yours, which gives you total freedom more important, or would you rather have shinny new, but with the sacrifices I've talked about.

Sorry if this is a bit rambling!!

Last edited:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
It worked for us.
We bought.
Advertised county wide.
Met with the 3 groups in the shortlist.
Collected the money.

We’d been in game a few years, and had worked for some of the top names,
Learning the ropes from us came free; the virgins, so to speak, felt they had good value when they stumped up 1/3 the cost price.
We went their separate ways after several happy years.
[FONT=&quot]We had an enjoyable re-union recently.

Howzabout it.
[/FONT]

Well I wouldn't describe it as buy to let but shared ownership or, possibly even closer, timeshare.

From what you've written you got your share free. Instead of having one quarter of a £60,000 rv you could have your own for £20,000. We did seriously consider shared ownership of a boat but walked away when we found the "management company" were making £75,000 out of it. The idea was very appealing, a holiday home and charter fees instead if we wanted but not at that margin.

Boats and RVs have the same basic principle, they're homes. Would you want to dismantle all of your own possessions at the end of the week? Would you be happy to arrive and find the black tank needs emptying? Or the previous owner arriving home late so you couldn't start your break? Or dirty? Or with a fault that they couldn't fix in time?
I wouldn't and from the posts, not many others would either. This forum is predominantly MH Owners, maybe you should ask prospective owners instead.

Wasn't is John Paul Getty who said "it's odd but the harder I work the luckier I get".

Regards
Doug

OP
OP

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Yup, we got our share free.

We bought very cheaply, put a very attractive package together, sold at market price, and made a profit.
The people who co-owned with us knew exactly the score before they bought.

It's called making your own luck I suppose.

I've realized many dreams some through luck, but mainly by hard work.
In every case, I've recognized how lucky I was to realize a dream.
Even if I've had to work my wotsits off to realise it.

Anyone unable to finish this well known phrase or saying, 'Think lucky, be . . . '?

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Link Removed I offered an alternative to buy to let.

Did you compare and contrast the two alternatives?
Or did you just slag off an idea that might be of use to folks who can't afford a quality m/h?
Or of use to people who have other demands on their time?

Did I in any way suggest that co-ownership was better than owning your own?

Do you realize how lucky you are to own your own m/h?
To have realised your dream?

Howzabout thinking for others for a change and making a positive contribution to an idea that might help people realise their dreams?

45eEver

Did you read my post or not I did not SLAG your idea in fact I did write

I can see the possible advantage of such an agreement but as Jim has said I would rather buy a £15,000 older RV than a 1/4 share in a £60,000 newer one.

I am forunate in that I can park my RV at home and it is always ready so we can go away whenever we want to, likewise if the weather is bad we can choose to not bother, but if it meant not going away for another 3 weekends what would you do? Your hands would be to some extent tied.

How is that slagging the idea off?

You are quite correct I am fortunate to own my own quality RV but I only got it by sheer bloody hard work no one gave it to me, I have run my own haulage business for over 37 years! With all the hassle that involves including driving all over Europe to breakdowns, etc!!

Also in my first sentence (I have no personal intrest in buying to let either but can I not express my negative view of such a thing) Just because I don't agree with you there is no need try to belittle me, I agree to disagree!

Pat

Last edited:
OP
OP

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Riffingitsmoothly, yes, I read your answer, then I put you a two part question.

You ducked one part of my question, and attacked the other part of the question.

In your attack, you offered sprat to catch a mackeral.
You gave the idea a slight pat on the head, and then hammered it with I'd prefer to spend 15 grand on an old nail than buy a 1/4 share in a nice new one.

Thus you took the post of piste, and to my mind trivialised, or slagged off, an alternative to buy to let.

The post isn't about an alternative to buying a cheap motor.

It is about an alternative to buy to let.

If you consider you would prefer to put 15K into buy to let rather than put 15K into co-ownership, that's relevant and it's interesting.
And you can pull the idea to pieces with my blessing.

But in my book any post that goes off piste to compare co-ownership unfavourably with sole ownership is slagging off co-ownership, even if the slagging off starts with a pat on the head.

You ended with you ' . . . agree to disagree'.
I didn't put an opinion about the subject, so you can't disagree with me.
If you'd stuck to the subject instead of going off piste, you can't disagree with me because I don't have an opinion either way about buy to let, or co-ownership of an M/H.

If you want a discussion about the relative merits of sole ownership and co-ownership, why not start one?

I'll even give you a subject for discussion, howzabout: -

Owning co-owning a luxury motorhome on each of 5 continents as an alternative to sole-owning one luxury motorhome on one continent.

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Everyone to their own opinion and their own way of doing things. But personally I'm with Wildman and Ruffingitsmoothley. Absolutely 100%.
Our van is our pride and joy (and its our van, not anyone elses, not a hire vehicle - its ours!!). We have owned it from new, and I have worked extremely hard for it. We have wanted our own van for nearly 25 years.
It resides on our drive and is ready (well nearly) for the off on a whim. We use it spontainously for days out and weekends away. It is our holidays as and when we please. We keep it clean, inside and out. We are the only ones who have ever used the beds and the bog, and thats the way it will stay!!
If this is an insight into my persona, then so be it. Anyway thats my opinion, and it will never change. :shout: (Rant over - I thank you:ROFLMAO:).

Last edited:
OP
OP

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Finby,
out of curiosity,

What's the opinion you just expressed got to do with
buy to let
versus
co-ownership?

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
buy to let
versus
co-ownership?

There are many company's that Let (rent out) m/h's, I can understand it may work for some individuals to help fiance something that other wise they may not be able to afford, or perhaps get use out of to make it viable to own.

I for one wouldn't do it, I don't need to or have the concern of the van being under utilized. If you follow the many threads on this and other forums you will find positive and negative story's, therefore you pays your money you takes your choice. Now before any comments, yes I can afford it and for me if I couldn't then I would sell.

Now I think co-ownership is a new idea and for some may well work, I just don't think that this is the right place to get many takers when you consider that at a guess 99% of the members have already made a commitment to sole ownership and I suspect one of the main reasons for most of us, motorhome ownership is for the independence that it gives. Because even a so called cheap van, could buy you many package holidays.

I have had it said by some friends that for what I paid for our Hymer I could have brought a property in France or where ever.

They don't get it,

It's like Harleys, if you have to ask the question you don't understand.:Eeek:

OP
OP

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
TakeaFlight, it's exactly that since most people on this forum have no interest in either buy to let or co-ownership that means it aught to be a good place to get a balanced opinion.

Unfortunately, folks seem more interested in promoting their personal interest than contributing to a balanced discussion.

Anyway, what scoot have you got, or does that show I don't understand?

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Anyway, what scoot have you got, or does that show I don't understand?

Sorry but being a bit thick, I don't understand the above.

TakeaFlight, it's exactly that since most people on this forum have no interest in either buy to let or co-ownership that means it aught to be a good place to get a balanced opinion.

IMHO I don't think so, my point is try posting about greyhounds on a Labrador forum, falls on deaf ears.

OP
OP

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Your not up on Harley-speak then TakeaFlight?
A Harley is a scoot.
A scoot is a Harley.
Did you Hog the Bridge by any chance?

It would be a discussion of whippets versus greyhounds if I put it on a labrador site.

I have actually enjoyed lively and informed discussions of whippets versus greyhounds with many an enthusiast for another dog type, including labrador owners.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Your not up on Harley-speak then TakeaFlight?
A Harley is a scoot.
A scoot is a Harley.
Did you Hog the Bridge by any chance?

It would be a discussion of whippets versus greyhounds if I put it on a labrador site.

I have actually enjoyed lively and informed discussions of whippets versus greyhounds with many an enthusiast for another dog type, including labrador owners.

It seems you just like to argue mate similar to GT:winky::RollEyes:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
45eEver - if you are disagreeing with the majority of posters on this site are you slagging off motorhome ownership? :Smile:
Just because I dont see any advantage of shared ownership for us, as we enjoy the flexibility of going away when we want, and staying at home if its raining, (I am certain that the weeks when we "own" the motorhome will be blessed with above average rainfall!) does not mean I am slagging it off.
I thought you asked for peoples opinions (thats what you got!)
If someone disagrees with you and you dont like it, you shouldnt ask.:Smile:

OP
OP

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Mr Colpot, I put forward an alternative to buy to let.

I did not put forward an alternative to sole ownership.

In my book saying 'I am certain that the weeks when we "own" the motorhome will be blessed with above average rainfall!' is an unbalanced negative aka slagging off.

Your observation is also pointless since, unless you feel the weather god was punishing you for co-ownership rather than sole ownership, it would be raining on your solely owned motorhome just as hard.

In fact just as hard as on a bought to let M/H during that period.

The point you either don't understand, or don't wish to understand is that what I put forward is an alternative to buy to let.

It is not a criticism of sole-ownership.
If I was criticizing sole-ownership, I would be criticising myself.

Life demands a balance.
Discussion demands a balance.
A civilized discussion has a right to balanced responses that discusses the subject.

OP
OP

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Mr Colpot, I put forward an alternative to buy to let.

I did not put forward an alternative to sole ownership.

In my book saying 'I am certain that the weeks when we "own" the motorhome will be blessed with above average rainfall!' is an unbalanced negative aka slagging off.

Your observation is also pointless since, unless you feel the weather god was punishing you for co-ownership rather than sole ownership, it would be raining on your solely owned motorhome just as hard.

In fact just as hard as on a bought to let M/H during that period.

The point you either don't understand, or don't wish to understand is that what I put forward is an alternative to buy to let.

It is not a criticism of sole-ownership.
If I was criticizing sole-ownership, I would be criticising myself.

Life demands a balance.
Discussion demands a balance.
A civilized discussion has a right to balanced responses that discusses the subject.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back