Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
i turn sixty in two months, and fed up at work, so i have been offered a property in wales and it would'nt cost much to sell mine and buy, so i have had a pension forecast and and with my savings i can manage comfortably, question is has anyone retired recently and did your motorhome insurance go up? and car insurance etc.
i am buying the house and spoke to directors at work so they know once my house is sold then i will be giving notice, been there 43 yrs. and we are moving near to wifes family who i get on with, and the house has lower running cost ie lower council tax, own water supply and sewerage, and i can help on brother in laws farm, so no need to get bored. which would help him.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Kalamitty I retired three years ago at sixty can't say I noticed a hike in my insurances any more than they usually try to get you to pay more every time renewal comes up, just search around and keep it as low as possible.:)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I've been 'retired' for five years and had no increase in any insurance policy for the house or vehicles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
The only insurance I noticed that increased since retiring is health insurance , and that is age related, at 60 probably no change for you.
Etap

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You may all find some insurances will decrease because of the post code. You can never be sure but as a generality moving to a low crime rural area will be cheaper than living near or in a big city. When I had to park our MH in a storage area while we had builders in and the drive had to be kept clear the MH insurance went up a bit simply because the post code of the secure storage was closer to Plymouth, which is clearly full of thieves and mad drivers according to the insurance company.

Of course any savings on insurance costs will be offset by increased expenditure on Wellington boots, leek roasting pans and singing lessons.

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
I r retired 5 years ago and again no increases in insurances, th e post office tried to hike up my car insurance this year so I just compared the Meercat and now pay even less than last year with the AA.
Don

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sounds like a plan..good luck! We intend to cash in on our london home next year and move to south coast.....Want to stay near Eurotunnel

My pension rubbish. Drawn early due to health. But wife's will be very good when she finally retires., so in theory should be fine as you will:)

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Our existing travel insurance company (AnnualTravelInsurance.com) tried to hike this years premium by £100 because I had now reached the age of 66. They seem to think that I must have physically crumbled in the last 12 months.

We disagree with the advice above to try Saga as when we have compared their premiums to the rest of the marketplace for all types of insurance they are not competitive. Although its a pain going trough the "compare" websites we find that we are obliged to change companies every year to get the best deals: rewarding company loyalty seems to be dead and buried in the insurance and banking industries,

The Tinca's

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I retired last November, insurance renewal was in April.. Cost went DOWN ( very slightly )

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We disagree with the advice above to try Saga as when we have compared their premiums to the rest of the marketplace for all types of insurance they are not competitive. Although its a pain going trough the "compare" websites we find that we are obliged to change companies every year to get the best deals: rewarding company loyalty seems to be dead and buried in the insurance and banking industries,

Totally agree have found SAGA are to pricey and can't compete they told me that they were not cheap but provide excellent terms?

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Every thing Saga is involved in is expensive, just look at their holiday brochure

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I found Saga the cheapest when I looked around - but of course you have to keep an eye on them as they all tend to try and increase premiums, counting on loyalty/lethargy you won't change.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The only thing that I noticed about putting retired as an occupation is that car insurance changed from social and commuting to social only.

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just paid premium with insure4 retirement, hadn't informed them before that my wife had retired, to my surprise the premium went down by nearly £30, that's for buildings and contents insurance, cost was £271, not saying they're the best but, I have had quotes from Saga and not impressed, I suppose they see us As two old doddery people who will never leave the house, so someone always in, not quite right, we're away in the van at present in Co. Durham, next month most of the month in Cornwall

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I've just this minute renewed my house insurance using Moneysupermarket.com. - buildings and contents.

Sainsbury's came out the best value (not cheapest by £8) at £98 all-in with a maximum of 60 days away at any one time. :)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
We disagree with the advice above to try Saga as when we have compared their premiums to the rest of the marketplace for all types of insurance they are not competitive

Saga have provided me with insurance at extremely competitive rates. However, that may be more to do with the low insurance group of my motorhome :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the thing I hate about SAGA is that once they have your details, they keep pestering you for years after

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I have lots of insurances with Saga, they've always given me the best quote (like-for-like) (y)
they keep pestering you for years after
I asked them not to, except for renewal reminders, & they stopped all marketing stuff (email & snailmail - they've never phoned) :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have lots of insurances with Saga, they've always given me the best quote (like-for-like) (y)

I asked them not to, except for renewal reminders, & they stopped all marketing stuff (email & snailmail - they've never phoned) :)
oh, I asked but it just carried on. still get weekly email offers (and post) but at least the phone calls eventually stopped

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Maybe I'm just a bit stroppier...? :D:sneaky:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
the thing I hate about SAGA is that once they have your details, they keep pestering you for years after
Most of the junk mail stops once you take out a policy with them.

Had both the cars with them for several years now, always match the best price I can find, house insurance with them now cheapest way I could get the e-bikes insured.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I retired two years ago, we've not moved, no change in insurances, they all a bunch of robbing bast*ards anyway and need close watching. Always check each years quotation as they rely on inertia from most of us not to switch. Once retired you will have more time to catch them out.
I agree regarding post codes, deepest welsh Wales will be cheaper than less remote areas.
I think generally all is OK until you hit 75 then car hire becomes a problem and private health insurance starts to wind itself off the dial cost wise.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I've just this minute renewed my house insurance using Moneysupermarket.com. - buildings and contents.

Sainsbury's came out the best value (not cheapest by £8) at £98 all-in with a maximum of 60 days away at any one time. :)

Trying to make me cry!:( try it with a london postcode and stand back

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
We always used to use a local broker. When the car insurance renewal came this year the cost had leapt up. Used an on line insurer and saved nearly 50% of the local quote. House and contents a couple of weeks ago and again got very favourable quotes from comparethemarket.com and now we are happily insured through Tesco. SAGA quotes haven't ever been competitive for us - for car van or house and we are getting a "free" meerkat to boot!

Dave

PS When I told the local broker - started the conversation with "this is a courtesy call" - they weren't very happy

OP
OP
K

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
thanks for all the replies i feel better about retiring early, we had the house insured with tesco but saga was 50% cheaper.

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
I early retired early 2.5 years ago. When my insurance renewal came up, I mentioned that I had now retired. The woman the other end then said, "oh, there will be an extra charge now". I asked "why". The reply was, " well you have more free time now to take the car out more, instead of just going to work and parking up".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back