converted caravaner (1 Viewer)

mark91068

Free Member
May 5, 2009
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
just a big helo I have had my mororhome about a month now, got lots of questions but the first is help on towing a small car I have a Ford transit 2,5 TD Herald Aragon about 23ft long and looking at Ca- A-Tow or somthing like that, what cars are under 750kg and where can I get one for sale complete with the A frame :winky: thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Mark and welcome to the fun....

you'll find not many cars are under 750kg......one that is is the aixam....french i think but you'd be better with a kiddies pedal car..::bigsmile:

most folks go for small regular cars like the ford Ka, vaux corsa, nissan micra etc.

if you are thinking about the braking situation then it isnt a problem sorting the brakes.

if its due to your licence restrictions then theres not really an answer.
did you pass your test after or before 1997 ?

john.

OP
OP
M

mark91068

Free Member
May 5, 2009
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
re

where is the best place to buy tow cars complete with tow A frames i have looked on ebay its a bit hit and miss

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
:welcome: Mark,

I've been looking for a toad too............settled for a Ford Ka and gonna buy the kit and fit it myself :winky:

Boo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Boo's got the idea.....

very rare that you will get a car complete with an A frame already attached.

ebay is good for frames but get a proper braked A frame not the recovery type.....not legal for leisure use, recovery only.

have a look at this thread for the aixam...Link Removed

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as it happens theres one for sale in the classified section on here.....

click here >>>Link Removed

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I know someone who has a micro car for sale with frame fitted and under 750kgs

PM me your email and I can put you together.

FisherFun

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Fiat Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Can someone clarify the 750kg point please?

Does the car have to be under 750kg or does this depend on your licence?

Is the 750kg the all up weight on the tow hitch ie including the A-frame?

I like the Renault Twingo but it is heavier than 750kg. (925 kerbside weight) My OH wants my small car to be able to be towed behing the MH. I'm thinking 'how often will we actually do that? We've got bikes?'.

The big red play bus will be crushed :cry: so we can get the scrappage allowance on the new small car:cry::cry::cry:

Incidently my cars spread sheet shows the Ka as 850kg kerbside (I believe this includes 75kg for driver and a tank of fuel) so what actually is the Ka?

Sacha

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

I like the Renault Twingo but it is heavier than 750kg. (925 kerbside weight) My OH wants my small car to be able to be towed behing the MH. I'm thinking 'how often will we actually do that? We've got bikes?'.

The big red play bus will be crushed :cry: so we can get the scrappage allowance on the new small car:cry::cry::cry:

Incidently my cars spread sheet shows the Ka as 850kg kerbside (I believe this includes 75kg for driver and a tank of fuel) so what actually is the Ka?

Sacha

It's illegal to tow anything over 750Kg unless it is properly braked. Under 750Kg you don't need a braked "trailer"

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
It's illegal to tow anything over 750Kg unless it is properly braked. Under 750Kg you don't need a braked "trailer"

isnt it 750kg gvw.
my chinkyvimto fiat has a kerb wiegt of around 740kg but has a braked a frame because it gvw is over 1000kgs.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Sacha

hi Sacha,

it isnt the kerb weight you need worry about....its the gross weight.

the ministry work on the max gross weight only (allegedly)

my corsa is 860kg kerb but 1140kg gross.

my bike trailer is around 100kg kerb (havent weighed it) but its rated at 550kg gross.

incidently.....its all irrelevent for a toad anyway.....law says if the trailer/toad has brakes, regardless of weight, then they MUST work. !

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

unless the trailer is fitted with brakes....which a toad is.....in which case the brakes MUST work as normal trailer brakes....ie: overrun braking system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back