PROVIDING A MOTORHOME SERVICE POINT (1 Viewer)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
PROVIDING A MOTORHOME SERVICE POINT

Many members have asked why council will not provide facilities for motorhomes to stay in their car parks.

I sent a Freedom Of Information request to Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council in Northern Ireland, and received the following:

Portrush Camper Van facilities
One Euro Relais Station was installed at a cost of £6256.
The costs of ground-works including connection to drain and water supply was £42,500. The ground works included kerbing, the development of build-outs and installation of services for water and electric connection and connection to the main sewer from the chemical toilet service point.
A planning application for change of use was required at a cost of approx. £700. No Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) was involved in this application as it formed part of an existing camping area
This project was funded by the legacy council of Coleraine Borough Council and the Northern Ireland Tourist Board, Tourism development scheme on a 50:50 ratio.

I understand that the planning application for Guisborough (now gone) was £1,000 without a chemical toilet service point and water.

So there you have it.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You would think that councils could apply for some European community funding to help out a bit?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Rediculas , if I couldn't have done that for a couple of grand, I'd give up, if the thing cost £6256 FITTED, why all the rest

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I bet the French don't pay anything like that, I expect they use there own council workers they are paying them anyway and can probably fit it into their schedule.
Here everyone is intent on out sourcing, cross posting all the various costs to different departments rather than getting on with the job I expect half our costs are for pen pushers.
Lost the plot in this country.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But our local coucil have just replaced all our pavement over about 8 weeks wonder what that cost. It sounds like a lot (and is for anyone with sense ) but to a council is small change and probably less than refitting a small public toilet.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
PROVIDING A MOTORHOME SERVICE POINT

Many members have asked why council will not provide facilities for motorhomes to stay in their car parks.

I sent a Freedom Of Information request to Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council in Northern Ireland, and received the following:

Portrush Camper Van facilities
One Euro Relais Station was installed at a cost of £6256.
The costs of ground-works including connection to drain and water supply was £42,500. The ground works included kerbing, the development of build-outs and installation of services for water and electric connection and connection to the main sewer from the chemical toilet service point.
A planning application for change of use was required at a cost of approx. £700. No Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) was involved in this application as it formed part of an existing camping area
This project was funded by the legacy council of Coleraine Borough Council and the Northern Ireland Tourist Board, Tourism development scheme on a 50:50 ratio.

I understand that the planning application for Guisborough (now gone) was £1,000 without a chemical toilet service point and water.

So there you have it.
At them prices, no wonder France is on its arse

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, but this is the sort of thing is what puts councils off providing such things , probably a private company could do this at a fraction of the cost but h&s and other body's won't allow it.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We are having a drop kerb at Badknee Towers to get Mo off the road and for two slope kerbs and three low kerbs, incl fitting, £611.65. Plus were not allowed to use a local ground worker that suggested more like £200.00. :mad:

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
I bet the French don't pay anything like that, I expect they use there own council workers they are paying them anyway and can probably fit it into their schedule.
Here everyone is intent on out sourcing, cross posting all the various costs to different departments rather than getting on with the job I expect half our costs are for pen pushers.
Lost the plot in this country.

Perhaps even better than that, Lenny. At Montils (Charente Maritime) the mayor, one of his deputies and a friend did all the work on the installation of a FREE service facility, apart from the electrics. Sorry, but I can't see that happening in the UK.

J

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
We have been to his parking area. Its not laid out as a motorhome aire the tower is by the toilets a the sewer must only extend some 30ft from them and as the whole area also serves as a car park the cost cannot be totally attributed to motorhome facilities. It costs £12.50 to overnight or £25.00 per24 hours as I remember.:(:(

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
You would think that councils could apply for some European community funding to help out a bit?
When you travel abroad you see signs saying projects are being funded by the EU. This country seems disinclined to ask for such funding.

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development act states an authority can do anything to provide facilities.
24.—(1) A local authority shall have power within their area to provide sites where caravans may be brought, whether
for caravans, for holidays or other temporary purposes or for use as permanent residences, and to manage the sites or lease them to some other person.
(2) Subject to the provisions of this section, a local authority shall have power to do anything appearing to them desirable in connection with the provision of such sites, and in particular—
(a) to acquire land which is in use as a caravan site, or which has been laid out as a caravan site, or
(b) to provide for the use of those occupying caravan sites
any services or facilities for their health or convenience;

However they insist that they have to apply to themselves for planning permission and cross charge for this.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Ground works £42,000!!!!!! I have installed many drains and mains during my 'plant hire and groundworks' period, but never earned that sort of money. Unless the sewer was about a mile away, it sounds ludicrous!

Craig
A good friend of mine now departed used to build commercial units and when it came to connecting the sewer and water supply Severn Trent Water used to charge more than it cost to put down the floor slab! He said STW made more profit from the sale than he did!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Perhaps even better than that, Lenny. At Montils (Charente Maritime) the mayor, one of his deputies and a friend did all the work on the installation of a FREE service facility, apart from the electrics. Sorry, but I can't see that happening in the UK.

J
Pure guess work on my part, nice to know I wasn't that far off the mark. :)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
We are having a drop kerb at Badknee Towers to get Mo off the road and for two slope kerbs and three low kerbs, incl fitting, £611.65. Plus were not allowed to use a local ground worker that suggested more like £200.00. :mad:

Sounds like you had a bargain at £611.65.

Just look at Devon and the council fees are almost that much let alone getting the job done!

Ginge3685

Free Member
Jun 5, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
K
I applied for a dropped kerb 2 years ago got approved .....was charged £1000.01 ....Paid the money......12 months later money refunded.... still no dropped kerb... can't get any explanation from PLYMOUTH City Council............What is going on???????

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Wouldnt it be nice ot get a straight answer to the question

' what is all the money you collect in various taxes spent on?'

I am aghast that we needed 800 lords, and as for all these roadworks not to fix the roads.

How I wish the wife would agree to moving to France.

Jul 25, 2015
east devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer b674
Exp
since 2013
Think we get ripped off in Devon. Just had dropped kerb approved. Total fees to east devon district council over £200, devon county highways just under £300. The cheapest of 5 quotes to do a standard 3m crossing from a B road ,Inc traffic management ,was £2100 from south west highways, who were the most professional and business like by far. Had some quotes from characters that you definitely wouldn't want hanging around your property for more than £2500inc vat.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I applied for a dropped kerb 2 years ago got approved .....was charged £1000.01 ....Paid the money......12 months later money refunded.... still no dropped kerb... can't get any explanation from PLYMOUTH City Council............What is going on???????

Devon county council responsible for roads not Plymouth!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Think we get ripped off in Devon. Just had dropped kerb approved. Total fees to east devon district council over £200, devon county highways just under £300. The cheapest of 5 quotes to do a standard 3m crossing from a B road ,Inc traffic management ,was £2100 from south west highways, who were the most professional and business like by far. Had some quotes from characters that you definitely wouldn't want hanging around your property for more than £2500inc vat.

4 times the price that Badknee paid - as you say - a ripoff!

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
It's not their own money so stupid decisions like this are made. Public services, wasteful services more like.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Perhaps all those who - whilst posting no hard evidence at all - profess to disbelieve the costs given to John could identify council land where they think an aire would be suitable, cost up how much they would do the job for and offer to do it for the council at that price.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
About £1200 - £1500 in Sussex ours cost a bit of cement a few kirb stones an few hours works, has it's advantages living in an un-adopted road.

Edit:
Talking about dropped kirb not service poit, didn't notice tread going OT, brain not in gear today.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What none of the people who are saying "I could have done that for £50" know is how far away and how much work was involved to get a fresh water service, a sewerage service and electricity to the point. There would have been at least 4 different trades involved in that, probably more. The OP also makes no mention as to whether or not there was any resurfacing work carried out other than making good.
If I'd had to guess without John posting the actual cost I would have said nearer to 40 grand than some of the other ridiculous figures people are saying they "could get it done for"

EDIT: Just had a look at the site on Google and if all three services don't happen to be running directly under the car park it would have been a sod of a job. 40k doesn't go very far when you consider that the trenching could easily have been £100 per metre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back