Mercedes are so good that......... (2 Viewers)

2escapees

Deleted User
You don't get any post on this forum. Our Mercedes 316 has done 117,000kms in 6 years and is excellent 27mpg and quite happy to run all day at 120 kmh. Lots of power on hills. Why would you ever buy anything else!

:thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hmmmm.

Wonder whether you could transplant one in one John.
Oyyyyyyyyyy DAZZER.:shout:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was always told that you pay a bit more if you want a Merc chassis, but that they are worth it. However these days it seems that the modern Fiat is doing pretty well with zillions now used as base vehicles that are just going on and on.

Modern vehicles, no matter what make, are just so much better these days, long guarantees, easy maintainence and lots of miles between services. For once it appears we are getting what we pay for.

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
We have a Merc on the 616 chassis with the 5 cylinder engine. Drives a dream and much quieter than our previous Fiat. The only niggle is, it is very high revving with the auto box. Doing something like 3000 revs at 60 mph.

ken

deepstar

Free Member
Dec 27, 2007
lancashire
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
30+
deepstar

hi glad to hear your report on the mercedes 316
ive just bought a burstner t star 680 on a mercede 316 manual gearbox
must admit it goes like a bat out of hell up the hills
hope mine will settle down and do 27 mpg
youve Made my day
rgds deepstar:Eeek:

:t

W

wurdsmiff

Deleted User
You don't get any post on this forum. Our Mercedes 316 has done 117,000kms in 6 years and is excellent 27mpg and quite happy to run all day at 120 kmh. Lots of power on hills. Why would you ever buy anything else!

I agree with you on that! We have just aquired a 316 Sprinter based Rapido with only 27k miles on the clock. Whilst the caravan part was a mess the merc bit is as sweet as a nut. Have fitted a turbo boost device as I have one on my T5 and had one on my T4 before.

With the recent problems with Fiat based vehicles I didn't even consider that option.

Whilst the yankee battlebusses trundle along the motorways with petrol tankers in tow I can wander along the highways and byeways in top gear sipping diesel! Lucky me (us). Eat your heart out guys
:roflmto:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
I was always told that you pay a bit more if you want a Merc chassis, but that they are worth it. However these days it seems that the modern Fiat is doing pretty well with zillions now used as base vehicles that are just going on and on.

Modern vehicles, no matter what make, are just so much better these days, long guarantees, easy maintainence and lots of miles between services. For once it appears we are getting what we pay for.

Jim whilst it's true that most motorhomes are built on a Fiat chassis there may be economic reasons for this. If you ask the question another way you get a different answer:
How many traders driving white vans thousands of miles each year and giving the vehicle a good thrashing buy a Fiat van? How many fleet managers select a Fiat. Remember the Fiat Ducato has had some problems - leaking and reverse judder. I didn't notice that many Fiat trade vans when we spent five months in Italy - Iveco and Mercedes seemed to dominate.

Yes I miss the RV burble - guess I could get a recording - but the Merc doesn't sound too bad and we did 28 mpg on our 7,000 mile trip and it didn't cost an arm and a leg to service and spare available anywhere in the world you might break down - but of course you won't - but the thought is there.

Love our Mercedes - does what it says it will.

:Smile:
Keith

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Getting 27 M.P.G. now and again, but only when going at a pace my old 2 litre petrol Talbot could handle. :Sad: Great motor though, but 22-24 M.P.G. is more realistic if hurrying on, i.e. 70 M.P.H.+. :thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Oh but they do do an RV on a Merc chassis :Eeek: Winnie do the Aspect B+ class RV on the 3.0 V6 diesel engine and does around 25mpg.

However............. I have had 2 Merc Sprinter vans for my business over the last 5 years and im afraid to say I would NEVER buy another Merc as long as I live :Doh:

Yes they are fast and yes they look nice and yes they are comfy but I would trade all of that for a reliable van that doesnt keep breaking down for no other reason than the bloody computer keeps getting its 1s and 0s mixed up and costs a fortune to fix.

Thats why we now have a bloody big Iveco Daily :thumb: (best van in the Universe....ever!!!) and a couple of Vauxhall Vivaros :thumb:. The Vauxhalls have their moments but the Iveco has never given us a moments trouble in 4 years unlike the Mercs which were a bleeding nightmare which i will never repeat:Doh::cry:

I believe the older Mercs are bullet proof but the new Sprinters.......forget it:Angry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
must admit I love my old merc but a new sprinter is too dependant on the computer which often goes wrong and is expencive to fix. Too many stories around of late but the older ones bombproof and good for 650,000 miles plus. One million miles is not unusual.

deepstar

Free Member
Dec 27, 2007
lancashire
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
30+
merc or fiat !!!!!!!

hi
fiats seem to be ok going forward as long as you do not have to reverse up a steep hill guarantees:ha ha ha ha hahttp

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
hi
fiats seem to be ok going forward as long as you do not have to reverse up a steep hill guarantees:ha ha ha ha hahttp

Maybe Fiat are using Italian tank gearboxes, but got it mixed up ? .. five reverse and one forward ...juddering.. :roflmto::roflmto:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Our Mercedes 316 has done 117,000kms in 6 years and is excellent 27mpg and quite happy to run all day at 120 kmh. Lots of power on hills. Why would you ever buy anything else!

What Mike (& Judith) Annan - the orignal posters modestly didn't add was that their Rapido based Mercedes Sprinter has not only covered the miles and given the performance stated but has had some pretty tough challenges - taking them to 48 countries in Europe, North Africa and Asia. From Nordkapp, in the arctic circle, to Abu Simbel, south of the tropic of cancer in Egypt and to China via Greece, Turkey, Iran, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan , and home via Mongolia, Russia, Belarus, Poland and Germany.

A pretty good test of any machine - needless to say we're very happy with our Sprinter and having done Morocco hope to emulate some of their trips.

:Smile:
Keith

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I agree with you on that! We have just aquired a 316 Sprinter based Rapido with only 27k miles on the clock. Whilst the caravan part was a mess the merc bit is as sweet as a nut. Have fitted a turbo boost device as I have one on my T5 and had one on my T4 before.

With the recent problems with Fiat based vehicles I didn't even consider that option.

Whilst the yankee battlebusses trundle along the motorways with petrol tankers in tow I can wander along the highways and byeways in top gear sipping diesel! Lucky me (us). Eat your heart out guys
:roflmto:

Hi, Wordsmiff can you tell me about the "turbo boost device" you fitted and the benefits, please?
Thanks, Dave:thumb:

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
To revive an old thread re Mercedes, are they worth it?

Have read the old threads circa 2008 and as I have bought a Rimor with a Mercedes Sprinter 316 CDi engine I'm interested in hearing the veiws of other members with MB based motorhomes.

I have only used mine for a couple of short journeys so far but the 2.7, five cylinder engine pulls and sounds like a dream in comparison to the Fiat 2.5TD owned previously.

Motorway driving she sits at 55-58mph on 2000rpm very happilly without taking any notice of gradients. Unable as yet to provide a mpg figure but will be looking carefully.

Pleased to hear of any comments good or bad re costs, servicing or garage rip offs or any other useful information.

Cheers, Cydersyd.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When I got my present Mercedes I was amazed by how much smoother and quieter the engine was compared to my previous Fiats.
The most 'agricultural' diesel I ever had was a DAF Highwayman.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I have a Hymer on a Merc 416, with Sprintshift. It is a dream to drive. I love the Sprintshift which makes driving so relaxed.

The downside is that it's on 15" wheels so 100kph is at around 3000 rpm and pulling close to 5 tons it's a bit thirsty.

Pete:Cool:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Why are there so many posts on here from unregistered and read only funsters?

Seems odd

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The last report I saw on here Merc 5 cyl piston holed in France, a very common ocurance it seemed circa £3000 euro bill and merc not interested despite super low milage:Eeek:
Wonder if he's got over the shock yet:RollEyes:
Geo

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
AAAGGGHHH Mercedes AAAGGGHHH :cry::cry:

I'd swap my Fiat 2.8 for an Iveco 5 or6 ton chasis if I could afford to build to my own design but not a Merc I hate the bloody things and I've had five, first three were brilliant last two were the worst vehicles its ever been my misfortune to own.

dercher

Free Member
Mar 3, 2011
Bath
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
Have had 56 Mercedes 316 Sprinter sprintshift with Burstner T710 for last two years.france,spain,portugal and italy,never missed a beat ,mpg is the right side of 26.Lovely bit of kit enjoy it.:thumb:​

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back