Is it cheaper to buy electric bike abroad? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Seen several items stating it is now the time to by a MH abroad because of E rate, would this be a good time to buy a electric bike abroad? Looking for a Bosch powered one.

Sat here at my computer as it is Peeing down outside, lets hope its better for Malvern.

colyboy

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They all seem expensive to me but with euros at 72p surely it has to be better?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there used to be a factory making electric bikes in portugal. lots used to visit the factory , if my memory is right it was around the tavira area but i might be wrong .
one year it was like everyone apart from us had bought one . we use dax monkey bikes . chinese versions .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
The Kalkhoff/Raleigh factory in Cloppenburg used to have an end of year sale in the run up to Christmas don't know if they still do.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I assume that it is cheaper to buy an E Bike in Germany . We considered it but in the end bought Kalkhoff e bike from 50bikes.com . Simply because I wanted it and I wanted it now ! I wanted to familiarise myself with it before setting off to Europe .
Also if anything was to go wrong it would be much easier to deal with a dealer within a couple of hours travel . Financially propably not the smartest move but since I am very happy with the bike I can live with it .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Look on German Ebay. Ebay.de

Just like motorhomes, madness buying a German e bike or van in UK!lol

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Took all of 2 days to get my bikes delivered from German, and saved £800, must be made money if you can't wait 2 days.:LOL:

50cycles gave me a chance to try before buy and at the time I was not sure if I would even like the bike

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
50cycles gave me a chance to try before buy and at the time I was not sure if I would even like the bike
Road loads of different bikes in UK before ordering, would have liked to by in the UK but dealers not prepared to discount much. My mate was also looking at buying 2 bikes so for 4 bikes best we could get was 5%, German list price was already £400 cheaper than UK List and I got another 10% and shipping cost was only about €60 for all 4.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Were they LHD ones ????? and did you have to change the light????
Why does this place get called treasure island. I cannot imagine.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
One thing for sure, if you decide on a European made bike from a UK dealer you needn't feel bad about pressing for a substantial discount. Especially if they have not dropped their prices in the last year.

Dick

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Were they LHD ones ????? and did you have to change the light????
Why does this place get called treasure island. I cannot imagine.
Did you think you were making a funny?

Yes they are, front brake is on the left, easy to swap if cable brakes if hydraulic disc a right pain, left mine as they are you soon get used to it I've had French bikes in the past.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Most continental bikes do that and I do not know why we are different, and I was also being sarcastic about the differences here and the rest of the COMMON MARKET as there seems little in common between us and the rest especially in the costs of things.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The brake is on the left so that when a car has cut them up, they can slam on their brakes and gesticulate wildly with the Galoise in their right hand :D

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
Hymer e bikes are on sale at Durrwang-Morlein, Hymer main dealer in Dortmund, normal price 3000 euros, sale prIce 2000 euros, roughly £1400 at today's rate.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
not sure on all the specs on leci bikes but here in benidorm at the carafour leci bikes are 549e

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
I am on my third Kalfhoff which speaks for itself. Upgraded every couple of years putting the old one on eBay getting a good price! They are not cheap but worth every penny. The latest having a belt-drive lasting five times longer than conventional chain, no messy chain oil and very smooth. The quoted mileage on a charge low assist which is the most used is 125 MILES per charge!! On high assist about 45 MILES distances quoted are for an average weight person and the mileage is genuine possible having used the bikes (wife has one) whilst touring the Romantic Road in Germany. I did check in Koblenz bicycle shop on the overseas price compared to the UK and the savings were minimal so decided to purchase from 50 cycles in the UK. Brilliant bikes, people who say they are cheating . . . true, the whole xperience is easier but we don't have a point to prove. We use as we think fit with assistance from none to max. We rarely use the car at home (Brighton) shopping and going into town on the bikes, something we never did before as the hills around are mega! I can't praise these bikes enough, build quality etc. Whatever you do don't throw your money away on a cheap one. Remember the weight ie 21kg WITHOUT THE BATTERY. The battery is good for 1500 FULL charges before any detrioraton in assistance and it is not cheap to replace at £750 which I must confess is my only gripe but will come down as the batteries on older Kalkhoff have done . . . I hope this helps with your decision. 50 cycles UK also have a good selection of second hand bikes on their website which is worth a look.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I did check in Koblenz bicycle shop on the overseas price compared to the UK and the savings were minimal so decided to purchase from 50 cycles in the UK.
I don't see that just had a quick look e.g. Agattu Impulse 8, £550 cheaper in Germany.

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
I was looking a year ago . . . £ is a lot stronger now (about 20%) so you may be right. I can only quote what I saw and the difference then was minimal. If the difference is that great now as you quote yes it may be better to buy abroad. Worth a trip in the Motorhome taking in the Mosel which is a fantastic trip and picking it up at the shop! I have no idea what the postage woul be and possible after sales service although I could not see 50 cycles turning you away if you had a problem. They do have a chat line etc. linked to the workshop if you need advice

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I was looking a year ago . . . £ is a lot stronger now (about 20%) so you may be right. I can only quote what I saw and the difference then was minimal. If the difference is that great now as you quote yes it may be better to buy abroad. Worth a trip in the Motorhome taking in the Mosel which is a fantastic trip and picking it up at the shop! I have no idea what the postage woul be and possible after sales service although I could not see 50 cycles turning you away if you had a problem. They do have a chat line etc. linked to the workshop if you need advice

Well you need to look more seriously I think. Heres an example, sold Haibike a few weeks ago on ebay for £1460. When I bought it late 2013 it was £2800 here paid £1400 in Germany..over 18 momths riding a first class eBike cost..nothing

There was so much interest I could have sold 30 of them...

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
although I could not see 50 cycles turning you away if you had a problem.

Took them almost 2 months and a few calls and emails to replace a faulty battery within warranty.
The pawls in the crank freewheel failed on mine 3 months out of warranty (common fault apparently on the Panasonic motor) and as a compromise, they sent me two used pawls which I fitted myself, the alternative would have been a long drawn out process trying to get a replacement motor, which would be expensive and no bike to use in the mean time.
The rear sprocket on the Shimano Nexus hub on Val's bike has just failed this week, I initially thought it was going to be the pawls again as it had lost drive, but it's the 3 small drive lugs on the sprocket which have worn away. I've ordered one from Evans cycles :(
We love the bikes but expected better from the components, both sets of pedals failed within months too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back